CBR - Zwift Group Meetups

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I'm going to lead 1 or 2 of these each week. If others want to lead workouts and need the workout files built contact me.

First here are the instructions for doing group workouts
https://zwiftinsider.com/zwift-meetup-group-workouts/

To schedule a workout / meetup ride (you technically don't need to do the work you could just ride) post a poll here in this forum with options for the times you are willing to start at and the deadline to sign up. Allow people to pick up to 3 time slots so you can get the consensus best time to start. I will make posts stick to the top of the forum until the rides are complete; then I will close them and unstick them. So if you want to find the current options they will Always be at the top of this forum for sign up.

Then schedule your ride for the time that has the most votes. If if the none winning group wants to ride; anyone from that group can schedule the meetup to invite the others. (I believe you have to be Zwift friends to do this, but @trplay can verify for me. If that's the case we can coordinate.

Post your Zwift user name so the ride leader can invite you.

Audio will be on the Cruzbike Zwift Channel:
https://discord.gg/cb2dhw

ratz

1. accept the meetup invite in zwift companion app,
  2. be riding by the top of the hour in zwift, and it works just like a race
  3. load the work file if you want to do the work versus just riding

ratz

Ok I did the test on this tonight it works perfect. Here are the Cavets.

1. Anyone can host a meetup; you must socially “follow” the meetup leader on Zwift to be able to get an invite.
2. You have to show up on time; if you miss the start time you can't join late and we can't go back and get you.
3. The starting pen is just like a race pen. So best to show up 15 minutes early for debug.
4. If you are currently riding in zwift and you previously rode in a meetup; you must end that ride save it and come back in to join the next one.
5. We can have "stay together rides" and "drop rides"
6. On the "stay together rides" some people can free ride and others can do Erg workouts at the same time.
7. We get the beacon just like a "formal" event.
8. We can ride in worlds that are not open that day. Example if Watopia, London, and Richmond are that day’s worlds we can ride in New York and avoid the crowds.

Basically this solves every complaint I had for Zwift and pairing social with structured training and those that don't want to train.

Given all these parameters we could have "standing" ride days and times where someone volunteers to be the host; and invites each time the list of people that have expressed interest in that recurring day and time.

If we wanted to we could do a tour de force of every Zwift "route" and collect all the badges.
Opportunities abound for standing rides.

Examples:

Tuesday am: Coffee with @Maria Parker oh dark early ride.
Wednesday pm: Wrenches with @Robert Holler
Friday pm: Beers with Bob
Saturday am: Get those legs out of bed with @trplay
Sunday am: Donuts with @RojoRacing
etc

Also possible to have multiple rides per day occurring.

It would not take much to teach people to host one ride per week; if no one shows up; ride leader just does their normal solo ride and no loss.

Last edited:

ratz

We did another test tonight and Here are the refined instructions bold is new info.

1. A meetup can be organized by anyone who is a zwift user.
2. To be invited to a meetup you must be a follower of the zwift user who is organizing the meetup.
3. The easiest way to follow is to share your zoom profile page link in your signatures here example this is mine.
https://zwift.com/athlete/a6448c24-ec90-4b6c-823f-eac170d93e95
-or-
Search for the persons zwift username if you know it; in the companion app.

4. When the meetup is created you will get an INVITE on the zwift companion app. You must ACCEPT the invite to go.
5. You must accept the invite before you start the Zwift program. If you are in zwift riding and accept an invite that starts in 10 minutes you will not go to it unless you end your ride; save it and start over.

6. You have to show up on time; if you miss the start time you can't join late and we can't go back and get you.
7. The starting pen is just like a race pen. So best to show up 15 minutes early for debug.
8. We can have "stay together rides" and "drop rides", stay together should be "lead"/"Created" by stronger riders to keep the pace fun. On a Stay together ride; you can't get more than 10m ahead of the bunch nor behind the last rider.
9. On the "stay together rides" some people can free ride and others can do Erg workouts at the same time. I did a 700 watt spring tonight while towing at 70w coaster and vice versus.
10. We get the beacon just like a "formal" event.
11. We can ride in worlds that are not open that day. For example: if Watopia, London, and Richmond are that day’s worlds we can ride in New York and avoid the crowds.

Basically this solves every complaint I had for Zwift and pairing social with structured training and those that don't want to train.

I will be doing boring slow recovery workouts tomorrow night if any one wants to test this or try it out tell me the time; I plan to ride any time between 7:00-10pm CDT and I can ahoac tests for people that want to try it out.

Reactions: ccf

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
I have zero interest in group workouts or workouts in general but organizing a zwift meetup to group ride the mountains of watopia is something I could probably join now and again. It could be a good opportunity for a bit of a meet and greet over discord for those less experienced in bike-related things. You got Ratz for your data and gizmo questions, Trplay for zwift stuff and myself for racing experience. I'd be curious how the group would be paced for a meetup with the stick together function turned on, will it pull everyone to my pace, slow everyone to @trplay pace(sorry bro) or do some kind of total group weight and watts averaging. How cool would it be to have a group output averaging as if we were all on the same tandem bike.

ratz

I have zero interest in group workouts or workouts in general but organizing a zwift meetup to group ride the mountains of watopia is something I could probably join now and again. It could be a good opportunity for a bit of a meet and greet over discord for those less experienced in bike-related things. You got Ratz for your data and gizmo questions, Trplay for zwift stuff and myself for racing experience. I'd be curious how the group would be paced for a meetup with the stick together function turned on, will it pull everyone to my pace, slow everyone to @trplay pace(sorry bro) or do some kind of total group weight and watts averaging. How cool would it be to have a group output averaging as if we were all on the same tandem bike.

As long as you don't stop pedaling the group follows the SPEED of the organizer. Your idea is better :)

If you stop pedalling the rubber band will snap at some point. What we didn't test was stopping to see if it lets someone back in. It's definitely "beta". Weekly ride with Jason and earn a tron bike in short order.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
Seems great incentive for the strongest rider to setup the meetup.
So, until they change it to either the tandem model or something else, Ratz can set the schedule and lead whenever he is able or wants to. If anyone else is in the meetup that is going to be going faster (sorry Jason but even if you are on recovery you are probably faster) then they step up at least half hour before, create a new meetup with the same invitees and ratz can cancel the first one. A work around but we are all going to have so much Zwift flavoured pizza in our freezers that we will be Zwift powered for decades.

trplay

Zen MBB Master
Well this sounds like it could be a lot of fun. Lots of options are opening up to allow us to go in several directions.

Phantomrider

Thinking of buying myself a smart trainer so I can play In This world. Curious what the recommendations would be and if there are any issues with a V and disc brakes on the trainers. My intent is to use it as a weather friendly device and only set it up when needed, so setup/teardown should be easy and storage not an issue. It will live in the garage. Have been looking at the wahoo kicker core and oh BTW I’ll also use it on my ICE VTX also.

trplay

Zen MBB Master
I read where some people have to disconnect their brakes and some do not. The Core is a very popular trainer and I think its a good choice even if it did require loosening the disc brakes. Hopefully some real Core owners will pitch in. IMO direct drive trainers is the way to go. Trikes fit fine on smart trainers. Both my 700 and Speed were a breeze on the NEO. One idea if its available is take your bike to the LBS that has trainers and have them prove it works. Our LBS is happy to do this anyway. Swapping off and on is the same level of ease as it is for you to currently change a wheel. Actually changing on a direct drive trainer is exactly the same thing as a wheel swap except the wheel wont move around on you. So if this is easy so is swapping out on a trainer. If its currently hard you'll get more practice and it will become easy. Get a trainer and come join us.