Comparing your DF to you Cruzbike n Zwift

If you used to ride a diamond frame bike on Zwift, but now you ride an S40 or V20, how does your power output compare. I’m finding things to be surprisingly comparable. Rides I used to do at an average of around 3.0 w/kg on my DF, I’m still doing right there at 3.0 w/kg on my S40. The big difference is, can string several days of harder efforts together on the Cruzbike without feeling nearly so trashed. In fact, I‘m having trouble convincing myself to take recovery rides or rest days.

How about you?

trplay

Zen MBB Master
It's about the same for me but the upright has a huge advantage in they can stand and get a big wattage spike without the outdoor resistance penalty. Meanwhile, the recumbent isn't getting any aero advantages in zwift. If you're averaging 3.0 w/kg that's about perfect for team Vendetta. and they are in need of said riders.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
I never had anything to measure my power output on my diamond frame bikes. However, I have read much of this forum and some report, like you, little to no difference, some initial loss of power until they adapt (get ‘bent legs), and some report lower power (it seems the more laid back the more likely the power drop) but less significant than the aero advantage gained from the exchange except for uphill.

Quite a few of us switch back and forth riding each frequently. Eg. I ride Cruzbikes inside and outside when there is no salt on the roads but ride my mountain bike with studded tires in the winter for ice and snow and salt.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
All I know is I can't ride as fast on Zwift as I can for same power output on on the real road on my V20. If I ride in a large pack and take advantage of the drafting then it is comparable.

It's about the same for me but the upright has a huge advantage in they can stand and get a big wattage spike without the outdoor resistance penalty. Meanwhile, the recumbent isn't getting any aero advantages in zwift. If you're averaging 3.0 w/kg that's about perfect for team Vendetta. and they are in need of said riders.
I’ve been on Zwift since beta and have never raced. I have two under my roof with cancer. Can’t commit to any other schedules. I Zwift when I can fit it in. But I’d be i terested to learn more, just in case.

Always-Learnin

Vendetta Love
I’ve been on Zwift since beta and have never raced. I have two under my roof with cancer. Can’t commit to any other schedules. I Zwift when I can fit it in. But I’d be i terested to learn more, just in case.
Sorry to hear about your family struggles...I'll be praying about that with you. Given the stress you're under, I would encourage you to seriously consider Zwifting with us. It's a lot of fun and a great stress reliever. The guys and gals are all very supportive too. :cool:

benphyr

Guru-me-not
Thoughts going out to you and yours.

trplay

Zen MBB Master
You might try the ad hoc type races that Zwift conducts several times every hour. If you have a free hour just pick whatever is coming up. Those do not have any commitments.