Mark the Cannibal

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
I began the cannibalization of my Silvio Donor bike last night. Here's a picture of me riding her, back in the day:
santim1.jpg

This is the bike I stepped away from the Vision for. Classic Italian steel with Campy components. For some reason, I thought it was all Mirage, but mose of it is Veloce. The brifters and rear derailleur are Mirage.

This is what it looks like now, after hanging in the rafters for a few years, covered in dust.
IMG_0702.jpg

After the carnage:
IMG_0718.jpg

Lots of parts to clean:
IMG_0719.jpg

IMG_0721.jpg

Mark

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Well.... The frameset has officially been ordered! Woo-Hoo!!!!!

I cleaned parts tonight and found that most everything cleaned up pretty spiffy, as I expected. The only thing I was dismayed about was the pivot covers on my Mirage brake calipers. They are plastic and the silver paint has come off over the years. They are a very nice looking caliper and I really wanted to use them, but the one plastic cover is white and the other black under the paint. While that might not bother some people, I decided that would never do, so I found a deal on some dual pivot Centaur brakes. I kind of wanted to buy the new skeleton brakes, but these were half the price and probably twice the brake. I also ordered a couple new chains. I'm just not lucky enough to have the one I took off the Pinarello fit.

I'm pretty much sitting on my hands, now, until the frame comes in. I have everything I need but the odds and ends like a long brake cable and cable ferruls. Otherwise, I think I have everything.

Mark

Rick Harker

Err, Mark,

From my line of work we would call that butchered.

The fun part is the re-assembly. Luckily a man knows where everything is and where it goes no matter how messy it looks. Good luck.

Rick.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Rick Harker wrote: Err, Mark,

From my line of work we would call that butchered.

The fun part is the re-assembly. Luckily a man knows where everything is and where it goes no matter how messy it looks. Good luck.

Rick.

The re-assembly is, indeed, the fun part. You know, all these years I've been building bikes for my kids as they outgrew framesets. Aside from the conversion I'm riding now, this is the first bike I built for myself from the ground up. So, I want it to be not only functional, but pretty.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
defjack wrote: It would be hard to make an ugly Silvio. Jack

I agree, but scratch and dent parts would be like a big, gnarly zit on the end of a beauty queen's nose.

Mark

Rick Harker

Hi Mark,

The Silvio is somewhat different and they look great. I'm sure your components will be fine.
Just curious also if you will be going the the wider bars like Brian.
I'm waiting for mine to arrive within the next few days (Sofrider V2 that is). If I like that then the Silvio will be next.

Regards,

Rick.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Rick Harker wrote: Just curious also if you will be going the the wider bars like Brian.
Yes. I ordered a set, anyway, but recently found something a little different I may give a try. They're the same kind of thing, but not as wide. Plus, they're silver, which goes along with the rest of my components.

Rick Harker wrote: I'm waiting for mine to arrive within the next few days (Sofrider V2 that is). If I like that then the Silvio will be next.

Regards,

Rick.

I'll go out on a limb here and say you are doomed to be ordering a Silvio very soon. I'd say within a month.

Mark

Kamatu

I don't know about in a month, finances won't handle it, especially since we are having to lay some back for a possibility coming up in a few months. Now if I had gotten started on this last summer, right before the VA gave me that lump of backpay, yeah, Silvio would have been here.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Kamatu wrote: I don't know about in a month, finances won't handle it, especially since we are having to lay some back for a possibility coming up in a few months. Now if I had gotten started on this last summer, right before the VA gave me that lump of backpay, yeah, Silvio would have been here.

OK, I'll give you that. I checked and it took me two months. ;) :cool:

Mark