Q45 Gearing

Bo6

Just finished upgrading my Q 45 to 12 speed with a 11-50 cassette. Had a mountain bike with scram 12 speed and just swapped it. Had a bit of a problem with the Scram NX shifting out of the 50 cog, so went over to my local shop, he had a look and suggested an upgrade to GX derailleur. So $200 later it works great. Now those short nasty 15+% grades are easy for these old legs. Not sure I'm ready for the climb up the ski hill yet but maybe next year (profile below).

The wheel slip issue on wet or gravelly uphill starts is also better because I can modulate the power to control slip and still get moving. A worthy, relatively inexpensive upgrade for hilly areas.

Bob

1698941996383.png

SteveY

I am thinking about getting a Cruzbike and trying to decide between the Q45 and the S40. I do longer rides on roads and trails with some overnighters carrying my gear. I was concerned about wheel slippage as you mentioned, but if you can make it on 15% grades I am impressed. What is the chainring size? I was comparing the Q45 and S40 specs and the Q45 is only about 5 lbs heavier which isn't a bad tradeoff for suspension and wider tires. Do you think the suspension is that helpful? I am coming from a standard bike so either bike should be more comfortable!

thanks.

Flying Dutchman

I am thinking about getting a Cruzbike and trying to decide between the Q45 and the S40. I do longer rides on roads and trails with some overnighters carrying my gear. I was concerned about wheel slippage as you mentioned, but if you can make it on 15% grades I am impressed. What is the chainring size? I was comparing the Q45 and S40 specs and the Q45 is only about 5 lbs heavier which isn't a bad tradeoff for suspension and wider tires. Do you think the suspension is that helpful? I am coming from a standard bike so either bike should be more comfortable!

thanks.
Hi @SteveY I'm fairly new to the Cruzbike and had very much the same considerations. Went backwards and forwards numerous times between the S40 and the Q45. In the end I went for the Q45 for the following reasons:
* the Q45 is better able to do trails (canal paths, farm tracks and disused railway tracks). The Q45 comes with 650 wheels that can hold wider tyres.
* I have the impression that the Q45 might be able to carry more luggage (note that is an impression, I might be wrong here)
* the Q45 allows you to change the seat angle. Coming to recumbents new, I started off totally upright. Having done a good number of miles, I'm now fully reclined. I guess this ability to change allows for easier learning.
* I actually read quite a number off threads in this forum about the 'recumbutt' issues on the S40 and less so on the Q45

I was concerned that the Q45 would not be fast enough for me, but I appear to keep up with traffic just fine and if I wanted to really keep up with the 'roadies' I would get myself a Vendetta and really commit to speed.

That's my 2p (or 2 cents for most of the world :) )

Ted

Bo6

thanks.
I have the standard 42 chainring and with the standard 11-42 cassette I had trouble on the hills around here. The 50 enabled me to get up most of the hills I regularly climbed on my carbon bike. I am sure I could not climb sustained 15% hills but can get up the short steep sections in most of my regular climbs. Starting on hills still requires more practice, I do try to avoid uphill stop signs!

I have found the suspension helps on the easy trails I have tried or when you are on pot-holey old pavement. I am thinking of going to lower pressure in the tires to make the ride a bit more compliant (currently use 44psi). May even try new wheels and tubeless tire to get the pressure down and get allow a 10-50 cassette for faster speeds. The issue on recumbents is that you cannot stand up to absorb the bumps or lighten the front wheel to get over obstacles.

I have not tried a S40 so others may be able to give better advice on the pro and cons. I would like to try one at some point.

Bob

SteveY

Great points - especially about not being able to stand up or jump the front tire over obstacles. I may stick with my DF until my body can't handle it any longer. I recently did a 10 hour 130 mile ride on it without pain. I have been intrigued by recumbents for years but never took the dive because of various factors like how to transport, the weight, small tires, etc. The Cruzbikes check most of my boxes but since riding my DF is still comfortable for me currently it is easy to keep on with it.

As for the 15% grade - I would not intentionally do a sustained climb at that rate, but like you I have short sections it would be nice to not need to walk.

Thanks for the tips.

I may stick with my DF until my body can't handle it any longer.
My only regret in switching from a diamond frame bike is not doing it sooner. The improved comfort and efficiency has made riding so much more enjoyable that I now ride much more.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I was concerned that the Q45 would not be fast enough for me, but I appear to keep up with traffic just fine and if I wanted to really keep up with the 'roadies' I would get myself a Vendetta and really commit to speed.
I have done social centuries on an old Q20 with even smaller tires and had no problem hanging with Pace lines doing 20mph; the Q's speed is a function of the tires... :)

Flying Dutchman

I have done social centuries on an old Q20 with even smaller tires and had no problem hanging with Pace lines doing 20mph; the Q's speed is a function of the tires... :)
coincidentally I had a casual ride this weekend and two roadies came from behind, I saw they were putting quite a lot of effort in to catch me and when they passed me they did not really ride away from me. And another roadie did not manage to catch up on me over a 10km stretch (with me not really riding hard) so yes @ratz I concur :cool:

2whluge

Hi @SteveY I'm fairly new to the Cruzbike and had very much the same considerations. Went backwards and forwards numerous times between the S40 and the Q45. In the end I went for the Q45 for the following reasons:
* the Q45 is better able to do trails (canal paths, farm tracks and disused railway tracks). The Q45 comes with 650 wheels that can hold wider tyres.
* I have the impression that the Q45 might be able to carry more luggage (note that is an impression, I might be wrong here)
* the Q45 allows you to change the seat angle. Coming to recumbents new, I started off totally upright. Having done a good number of miles, I'm now fully reclined. I guess this ability to change allows for easier learning.
* I actually read quite a number off threads in this forum about the 'recumbutt' issues on the S40 and less so on the Q45

That's my 2p (or 2 cents for most of the world :) )

Ted
Do not underestimate the importance of an adjustable seat angle. I’ve been riding recumbents for over 15 years and for me, this is a critical issue. I even change the angle during a long ride or a lengthy tour, like RAGBRAI. I wish it were as easy as my old Volae, but the Q45 is the modern version of a recumbent tourer.