Preferred Pedal Type

Preferd Pedal Type

• Total voters

Rishi@Cruzbike

Hello,

I'm curious to know what the preferred pedal type is for Cruzbike'ers. I'm just starting to use road clipless pedals, Favero Asimo Duo. But I also bought Corki-15 clipless platform adapters, for when I don't feel like clipping in or commuting.

Making a poll here. Also will help those new to clipless... the why. Thanks!

Henri

scatter brain
I am riding flats, but special ones: Catalyst vy Cycling Innovation. They are very link and you use them with your whole foot, not just the ball. Allows for more secure connection and resiliency in the case that you might still slip a bit. Also more comfortable for me and others seemed to like them on my bike as well. And you don't need stiff shoes, because the pedal has the stiffness - as long as you don't ride thick, spongy soles; I wear thin barefoot shoes.

If I use a retention system, I prefere Magped over SPD. Haven't used any other system, but I would expect MagPed to be my favorite against every one.

vmi1056

I prefer the best of both worlds and I found that in the Shimano XT PD-T8000 SPD pedals. They are flat pedal on one side, clipless SPD on the other. I prefer SPD because I can walk better in a more versatile mountain bike style shoe. I like the flat side for dead stop starts and when I know I’m in for a little stop and go. At the recent Florida bike safari, depending on the route, we had to leave and return trough town. Typical town, stop lights, stops signs, etc. It’s nice to just use the flat side for those scenarios and clip in once out on the road.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I have been riding Look style road cleats for about 9 years now - switched to them when I go my first Garmin PM pedals and that was the only option. I am used to them now. I have been considering swtiching back to MTB just because of the ease of walking around when not riding. I started working on a set of shoes to move the cleat to mid-sole to give it a try. Since I am signed up for the Sweden N-S ride in July I though I might enjoy not having to walk around on the Look cleats.
As I was working on this project it became obvious to me how small an area the MTB pedals attach to. This is having me rethink my decision to move to MTB now. Primarily because I have adapted my pedals style to about 25% of the time actively "pulling" with my pedal stroke. I actually just broke one of my midsole adapters because of this since it was an aluminum plate - I guess metal fatigue from constant pulling. I fear that with the smaller attachment area of the MTB pedals that I would eventually pull the cleat and associated bracket inside the shoe thru the sole - especially since I had to trim it down to fit the cleat on.
The Road cleats attach over a much wider area - and I think that may also help with hot foot issues of not having the force possibly more consentrated on one small point of the shoe.
That is my 2 cents.
Larry

Black Hawk Down

Senior Rookie
I switched to flat several years ago after almost 40 years of clipless road pedals. I'm very happy with the switch. If I was racing, clipless would be the way to go. I'm retired and it shows in my average speeds. It's soooo much easier for me to start and stop with flat pedals, especially while touring with heavy bags. I use Pedaling Innovations Catalyst pedals with sandals. They cover almost the whole bottom of my sandal:

1714355621276.png

CoachellaRider

As someone with size 16 feet, I wouldn't even consider a retention system on my pedals. I have a hard enough time finding shoes I like just for walking. Catalyst XL pedals with extenders, and I'm good to go.

Actually had someone ride up next to me at the Tour de Palm Springs to give me crap about wearing running shoes on flat pedals. I told him "Ride your own ride, dude."

bentinitalia

Living in an urban area my rides begin and end with some traffic, roundabouts, lights, and rail crossings. I need and like the ease of flats. I've been using LOOK Trail Roc with a running/jogging shoe for some time now and couldn't be happier. The pedals' pins dig into the soft soles of the shoe providing a great grip. The shoes also have a mesh top, no laces, good ventilation, very light weight, comfortable for walking. Flats also allow for adjusting your foot position—no more hot-foot. With a little point of the tow on the downstroke, I can even pull on the early part of the return stroke (when I think about it). For me, whatever small benefit of being locked-in might give is counterbalanced by the freedom and safety of flats with pins.

Rishi@Cruzbike

@Henri and @Black Hawk Down @CoachellaRider - The Catalyst pedal look great! I have a lot of foot numbing with my current flat pedals. Since I'm really starting to love spending 2+ hours on a CB, I needed to find a solution. My current solution is to get off the bike every 45-60 minutes and stretch. Maybe there's a machinist out there that can make me a platform adapter with the dimensions of the Catalyst. Best of both world...

@LarryOz - Today was my first 2 hour ride with the road clipless. Was completely focused on the learning to pedal, the push and all important pull. Is it my imagination, or do we pull more on a Cruzbike than on a DF.

@bentinitalia - I had my 1st fall in years when I stopped at a train crossing. Forgot about the Look Keo cleats having zero traction, and there was a bit of a downward slope on the side I unclipped. There's quite a bit to consider when riding with cleats.

Henri

scatter brain
a platform adapter with the dimensions of the Catalyst. Best of both world...
adapters are more wobbly, more heavy and have more stack hight. Wouldn't say best of both worlds, really. I'd like a combination of Catalyst and Magped.

Forgot about the Look Keo cleats having zero traction, and there was a bit of a downward slope on the side I unclipped.
Had something similar today with a different recumbent. In a city on the sidewalk after a construction site I stopped at a traffic light, didn't notice my left foot woold land on lower, sloped ground and rolled on the fine gravel, that was spread on the tarmac for whatever reason. Was very confused for a second.

Rishi@Cruzbike

adapters are more wobbly, more heavy and have more stack hight. Wouldn't say best of both worlds, really. I'd like a combination of Catalyst and Magped.

Had something similar today with a different recumbent. In a city on the sidewalk after a construction site I stopped at a traffic light, didn't notice my left foot woold land on lower, sloped ground and rolled on the fine gravel, that was spread on the tarmac for whatever reason. Was very confused for a second.
It's always the case isn't it. The "best" ends up being a merger of 2 or 3 products :)

Black Hawk Down

Senior Rookie
The Catalyst is great but it doesn't completely eliminate hot foot. I sometimes on a long ride have to move my heal to the center of the pedal for a while until the ball of my foot settles down. Something you can't do with clipless.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
@LarryOz - Today was my first 2 hour ride with the road clipless. Was completely focused on the learning to pedal, the push and all important pull. Is it my imagination, or do we pull more on a Cruzbike than on a DF.
It is easier to learn to pull on a bent - because it is about the only way to "change things up" with you legs muscules.
But - you have to work at it - if you don't practice it you won't do it when you are riding. Plus you need to build up the endurance of that muscle set if you really want to use them very much

HeyHealy

I use a road SPD pedal with a MTB shoe. I think clipless pedals are essential to be able to pull. I've never ridden my Cruzbike with just a platform pedal.

I used to have Speedplay pedals, but I switched to SPDs recently so I could have the same pedals on my S40 and on my DF.

Black Hawk Down

Senior Rookie
I use a road SPD pedal with a MTB shoe. I think clipless pedals are essential to be able to pull. I've never ridden my Cruzbike with just a platform pedal.

I used to have Speedplay pedals, but I switched to SPDs recently so I could have the same pedals on my S40 and on my DF.

If you care about speed, then clipless is the way to go. I do road touring. I'm more concerned about easily getting in and out of the pedals and preventing hot foot. I rode with clipless most of my life, but I would never go back again.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master

I do too. I can't really say I've been pulling much in my pedal stroke lately, but for a while I was trying to make pulling part of my natural pedal stroke so there is probably a bit of it going on now even if I don't consciously try. One happy surprise I got was the most recent pair of Shimano MTB shoes I got has the cleat mounting point about 1cm closer to midfoot than my usual shoes. Just out of habit I mounted the cleats as close to midfoot as possible and didn't give it a second thought. My new Dura Ace cranks don't have a power meter so I can't solidly confirm if I am able to generate more power with the cleats there, but if any of my recent rides on Strava are any indication then I can say that it surely seems so. I'll throw in that plenty of Zone 2 on the trainer indoors is surely part of it too. But I go with the MTB shoes because they are simply easier to walk in when I am off the bike, and I have the clips on the pedals set at the weakest setting so it's easy for me to twist them out in a hurry when needed.