200 mile week on conversion

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
I had an outstanding week of cycling. The weather was very accomodating, which really helps.

I started the week with a 30 mile Sunday, doing the regular breakfast ride plus a little exttra

Three days commuting 40 miles round trip, 120 miles total.

Did a 60 mile ride with a friend from the club today (Saturday).

I'll be starting over tomorrow with the breakfast ride. I hope to be able to continue doing 200 mile weeks. You can get really strong really fast with that kind of mileage base. From there, you can ride with just about anybody. What makes me feel even better is doing this on a 40+ pound bicycle. The suspension creaks, it needs a paint job in the worst kind of way, but it rides pretty well.

I find that I'm ultimately pretty happy with the drivetrain on my conversion. I have a Shimano 105 52/42/30 tiple crank and 105 front derailleur. The cassette is a SRAM megarange 11-32 8 speed, a Deore rear derailleur doing the chain mananagement. Shifting duties are handled by a pair of Bar end shifters mounted on Paul Thumbies. The triple chainring is a total waste. I haven't found a single thing I cant climb with the 42 chainring. I'd probably fall over on the 30 because I wouldn't be able to pedal fast enough!

As much as I comlain about my conversion sometimes, you have to understand that anything pales in comparison to the Silvio. Speaking of which, the insurance check finally arrived, so now, as soon as it clears, I can order my replacement frame.

Mark