2021 Q45 Seat Angle

1%Grade

There is another problem with the new seat post when setting up the bike for a normal sized person (6’-5”, 195 lb, 46.5@ xseam). Because of my xseam, I mounted the seat bottom rearward (the front bracket in the second set of holes from the seat front). To maximize seat recline I tried to mount the seat back directly to the seat post. Unfortunately that won’t work with the seat rearward because the seat post is inserted only about 1.5” into the frame tube. It feels very flexible and weak, so I didn’t leave it like that.
Just another data point for Robert to consider when trying to design a new seat post.

I have 150 miles on the bike and I love it. The seat recline isn’t a big deal now, but I will definitely want more recline when my skills improve. Looking forward to an elegant seat post update.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
normal sized person (6’-5”, 195 lb, 46.5@ xseam).
Did I miss a tongue-in-cheek? In my house normal may only apply to a setting on my dryer but I’m not convinced that it applies to people. :eek:

6’5” is pretty far from the centre of the height curve isn’t it? I think average US male height is just over 5’9” placing you almost 8” away and about as far from average as a man at 5’1.5”would be.

Regardless, good observations and I hope the bike fitting works out well for you in the long run.

Parker135

Recently bought a 2021 Q45 and I'm curious to know if there has been progress toward a replacement seat post. As 1%Grade said, I'm fine with the upright position now, but I'm sure I'll want to recline the seat back at least some.

Black Hawk Down

Senior Rookie
@Robert Holler Is the 30 deg option for the Q45 available on a new purchase. I'm super comfortable on my V20. I have continuous recumbutt on my S40 (I tried everything). I do long tours and the S40 is just too painful. I wish I could get an S30, but with the current design. That would be my ideal touring bike. I would consider the Q45 if I could easily set it up for 30 degs.

You mentioned in an earlier post that you received exclusive requests for higher angles on the Q45, so you responded with a design change. Requests are not the same as a survey. You will, of course, always get requests for what you don't have. People who liked the lower angles are content and will not feed back. I recommend you send out a survey when you want feedback for a design change.

I think that Q45 owners come in two groups (maybe more). The heavy riders that want lower angles to prevent recumbutt (with head rest) and the lighter riders that prefer riding without a head rest and can easily look around. In my opinion, selling both options would sell more bikes. I would especially like this in the S40, but I think that would require two different frames.

I have been following this thread with interest and wanted to add my own approach for comment and review. I came upon the seat back position shown in the attached photo of my 2020 Q45 by accident, while trying to quiet a persistent creaking noise that I finally isolated to the seat bracket. I was also trying to attain a more reclined seatback angle, and thus attached the seat bottom to the frame using the rear-most holes. To quiet the creak, I cleaned and greased the skewers, then thought to insert a neoprene washer between the seat back and the skewers, with the U-shaped seat bracket roughly perpendicular to the seat back. But when I sat down on the seat to test this arrangement, the neoprene washers allowed the bracket to swivel-snap forward, which fortuitously brought every thing into alignment. I just went out on a ride with this arrangement, and everything seemed to work great: no more creak and much more of a recline. So two questions:

1. Does anyone see any potential problems with aligning the U-shaped bracket and seat in this fashion?
2. What should I use for a head rest? Would the seat extension brackets sold on the Cruzbike website work? Do they come with a headrest?

Attachments

• IMG_5360.jpeg
    IMG_5360.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_5362.jpeg
    IMG_5362.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 43
Last edited:

bret

I have been following this thread with interest and wanted to add my own approach for comment and review. I came upon the seat back position shown in the attached photo of my 2020 Q45 by accident, while trying to quiet a persistent creaking noise that I finally isolated to the seat bracket. I was also trying to attain a more reclined seatback angle, and thus attached the seat bottom to the frame using the rear-most holes. To quiet the creak, I cleaned and greased the skewers, then thought to insert a neoprene washer between the seat back and the skewers, with the U-shaped seat bracket roughly perpendicular to the seat back. But when I sat down on the seat to test this arrangement, the neoprene washers allowed the bracket to swivel-snap forward, which fortuitously brought every thing into alignment. I just went out on a ride with this arrangement, and everything seemed to work great: no more creak and much more of a recline. So two questions:

1. Does anyone see any potential problems with aligning the U-shaped bracket and seat in this fashion?
2. What should I use for a head rest? Would the seat extension brackets sold on the Cruzbike website work? Do they come with a headrest?
I used a similar arrangement for a while to get more recline - about 6 months. I had no problems with the arrangement.

I can’t speak about the seat extensions, but for a headrest I like the ICE headrest. It’s slim, highly adjustable, springy, and has an available mount for your light.

Mathew, thanks for the suggestion. Have you attached it to a Q45 seat? If so, did you simply drill 3 holes?
I use this headrest on a V20 with Thor seat. I think it's similar to the Cruzbike Adjustable Carbon Fiber Seat with its included headrest.
Yes. 3 holes, with large washers to distribute force. I think in your case, on a Q, the forces will be less. But still, any drilled hole is a potential source of eventual failure.