2023 S40 Creaking in Steering Column

Terrarium

Can the group give me guidance on creaking suddenly coming from my steering column? I'm going to confirm an even gap at the steering wheel stem attachment and it doesn't seem like my clamps are too tight.

Can I safely re-grease the bolt in pivot clamp? I live in a dry climate and I might have greased them too lightly? I've made a handful of adjustments to that tube in the last month and maybe the grease has given up?

Thanks for any guidance.

Beano

I had this problem on my S40 a few years ago when it was on the trainer. It turned being that the pivot clamp bolt was not tight enough.

I'd be inclined to start from scratch, take the steering tube off and make sure the stem cap bolt is 'snug' to point that there is no play in the headset. The stem bolts are then torqued to 6nm. Put the steering tube back on the bike and torque the pivot clamp bolt to 6nm and the clamp which binds the slider and steering tube to 6nm. And finally the bar torque to 6nm. Should hopefully solve any issues.

Terrarium

@Beano WELL... i greased the pivot clamp bolt and that fixed it. Good to hear though that 6nm is the number, i like having quantitative figures rather than just "hand tight". Things are going really good otherwise, i bought some funn mamba flat/clip pedals. Wobbles are getting better, hope to eliminate them once i clip in.

slitespd

“I like having quantitative figures rather than just "hand tight"”.

Good call……..as we all should. One man’s or woman’s hand tight could be many Nm‘s different. Use those torque wrenches.