700c conversion progress

lyfe121

Here is a picture of the progress I have made on a cruzbike conversion using a 700c non suspension women's road bike. I just got everything put together except for the front and rear derailleur cables. I need to buy a new front derailleur that will fit. Hopefully it won't be too difficult of a learning curve before I feel comfortable riding it.

IMG_2353-1.jpg

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Wow, what an excellent bike!

So the wheels turned out to be 700c after all the discussion?

How's the seat height for you?

I like the road bars and brakes. Are those brifters, or are you handling the shifting another way?

This front derailleur works quite well, even with larger chainrings (the specs indicate a largest ring of 44 or 48 teeth, but I'm using it on a 50t and it works a charm.)

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=600083&subcategory=60001037&brand=&sku=14859&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=Shop%20by%20Subcat%3A%20Front%20Derailleur

Don't let the learning corve concern you - plenty of advice around here for that.

Keep us posted - excellent conversion job!

Be well,

Doug

lyfe121

Thanks

The seat height is 25" at it's lowest point and about 28.5" at it's highest. At first I had the seat moved up closer to the head tube because the seat recline was too upright. But I flipped the seat post clamp and that let me move the seat back a few inches and gave me the set up I have now. It's a couple inches higher than what I had wanted, but I can easily put my feet on the ground so it's not really a problem.

I have grip shifter on there now. I don't really like them and am hoping to get different ones at a later time. But hey they work.

I am planning on going for a ride tomorrow. I'll post on the experience.

Tom

moose

I really love the overall look of your conversion. Just what womans bike did you use? The frame build is excellent for a kit build.
MOOSE

lyfe121

Thanks.

The bike is a Women's GMC Denali.

I bought if off of amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/GMC-Denali-Womens-Road-Frame/dp/B000BT7Y86

I really like how the bike turned out. It rides great. The only problem I am having is getting a front derailleur that works for the conversion kit. I can get the derailleur adjusted for the two largest chainrings but when I shift to the smallest chainring the chain hits the derailleur arm and I can't lower the derailleur any further. Don't know if there is any fix for it but right now I'm fine with just using the two largest chainrings in the front.

Tom

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Tom -

One fix for this is to use a longer axle on the bottom bracket - that moves the crank and rings outward to center in the FD travel.

If you remove the crank arms and measurefrom end to end on the axle, and let us know what the length is, we can probably recommend something that will fix it. Nashbar has a suitible BB on sale for around $10...

Be well,

Doug

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
I'd be anxious to hear how the wheel hop is on the front end. I mean, if you hit a bump while powering the drive wheel, do you get momentary losses of traction?

Mark

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Hardtailcruzer wrote: Tom -

One fix for this is to use a longer axle on the bottom bracket - that moves the crank and rings outward to center in the FD travel.

If you remove the crank arms and measurefrom end to end on the axle, and let us know what the length is, we can probably recommend something that will fix it. Nashbar has a suitible BB on sale for around $10...

Be well,

Doug

Okay, I misread this - I ws thinking lateral travel on the derailleur. The BB axke change w ill not help.

You are facing an open chainstay angle, raising the derailleur like many of us have experienced. This occurs when the angle between the chainstays and the front tube is significantly greater than 66 degrees.

Moving the seat forward and resetting the triangle length outward can help, but you may not have that option.

A clever derailleur mount adapter would work, but we've not been that clever yet...

Be well,

Doug