700c mixte frame for conversion?

Velo Tobbit

I'm looking to buy a conversion kit soon and I've been carefully reading the forum for ideas on donors. I've not seen much on 700c mixte frames. Would this work? I'm tall (6'2") and my inseam is 34" so I need a fairly roomy frame. Here's an example of what I'm considering: Motobécane Mirage Sport mixte. I don't think suspension is an absolute must for me. More information and pictures at: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/miragesport_xi.htm#specs Thanks for your help!
Motobecane%20Mirage%20Sport.jpg   width:390px

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Reminds me of where I started in August, 2005

I started with an old Schwinn LeTour mitxe-type frame.

Couldn't get it to work at the time, but knowing what I know now, it wouldn't be too hard...

Mockup1.JPG

Mockup2.JPG

Velo Tobbit

What were the challenges?

Doug, thanks for your quick reply! What were the challenges you had with the mixte frame? I see in the photos you have a different sort of seat on that one. Would my example work with the conversion kit's standard seat? Any pitfalls to avoid? Thanks for your help!

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
The fact that you're tall works in your favor here in big ways

My issues were primarily that I have a 39" x-seam, and in order to get the bike stable at a stop I had to move the seat back pretty far.

And because of my short x-seam, the front chainstays operated at an extreme angle, so the lower derailleur was very unhappy with its position on the adapter bracket.

You'll need to install the lower seat mount bracket backwards (no big deal) and you may want to use a "layback" seat post to get the seat back at a reasonable angle.

I ended up using this frame, which wasn't too different in geometry, but had a fork that worked a little better (I didn't have a vast inventory of junk bike parts in those days):

B00006JZ8P_01__SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpeg

Which rode pretty well. It was heavy heavy heavy, but still outclimbed my R40, which weighed 14 lbs. less. It was at that point that I knew we were onto something...

image004.jpg  ;

Velo Tobbit

Finally, something good about being tall!

Being tall usually means bumping my head on things.

I really do like the Motobécane frame. I think it'd make a great road-type cruzbike. I will keep it open as an option when the time comes for me to buy the kit.

Cool,

Jon