A Wrinkle in Upgrading from Sofrider to Q45?

I noticed a wrinkle today in my thoughts about upgrading to a Q45. I measured my x-seam at 48" wearing the sandals that I typically ride with. According to the specifications, the Q45 can accommodate someone who is up to 6'5" with an x-seam of 46". I am 6'3" but my x-seam seems to be a problem. Is this solvable? As I indicated before, when I test rode the Q45 it appeared we over-extended the boom to keep my knees from hitting the handlebars. While the shop was very accommodating for my test rides, I don't think they had a lot of experience adjusting the bicycle to someone of my proportions. If not the Q45, it has been suggested the S40 might work for my riding preferences going with a wider tire (i.e.700*38) to accommodate well groomed gravel bike paths. The S40 is more bike than I was considering but perhaps it is the one I should focus on if I can't achieve a safe fit with the Q45.

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
I have 700x38 on my S40. Works well except now the fenders won't fit. Others have gone 650bx42, and fenders will fit because of smaller diameter wheels.

I think you can get longer chainstay for S40.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
... I measured my x-seam at 48" wearing the sandals that I typically ride with. According to the specifications, the Q45 can accommodate someone who is up to 6'5" with an x-seam of 46". I am 6'3" but my x-seam seems to be a problem. Is this solvable? ...

For this type of technical question I would suggest contacting Cruzbike directly support@cruzbike.com or call them.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
With the S40, V20, and Q45, there are FIVE Chain Stay lengths available from 16.5", 17.6", 19.5", 21.5" and 23.5".
I have a 19.5" length on my S30 with a 46.3" X seam, so the 21.5" might suit you.
I would contact Cruzbike as per Benphyr suggestion!!!

Once again, thank you for your suggestions. I did contact Cruzbike support, but while waiting I thought the Forum might help and of course, it did!

I have tested the Q45 several time and this much is clear. I do not fit the stock model (6’3”, 208 lbs, x-seam 48 inches). It has been suggested on the forum that a longer chain stay might fix the issue. Robert at Cruzbike also suggested this fix. My question first and foremost is what is the chain stay on the Q45? A retailer for Cruzbike suggested two different components and settled on the adjustable tube with markings used to adjust to the size of the rider. For the record, with the tube adjusted 2 inches beyond the last mark, I do not have sufficient extension of my legs. If that tube is the chain stay and I opt for a longer one (i.e. 21.5” or 23.5”), what impact might that have on the bikes performance and handling? I might note that without a feeling of comfort in a longer chain stay fix, I am still seriously considering the S40 assuming I can find one to test ride.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
The front fork is the part that connects the head tube (steering axis) to the front wheel. The chain stay would be the part that connects to the front wheel that is NOT the front fork (but has a somewhat similar shape. The chain roughly follows this set of tubes from the bottom bracket (the farthest forward part of the frame that the pedal cranks connect) chainrings to the cassette (gears on the wheel). By getting longer chain stays the front of the bike lengthens. A picture of the front triangle from handlebars to pedals to wheel might clarify.

jond

Zen MBB Master
Google bicycle chainstays. It is that part of the frame that sits below and parallel to the power side of the chain.

Therefore a larger chainstay will raise the bottom bracket height allowing boom and slider to be effectively drawn closer together allowing tall folks to ride cruzbikes.

See some of the bikefit videos on homepage.

Address type of riding you do and choose appropriate machine or buy both . You know it’s the right thing to do ;)

I keep going back to Cruzbike’s fit statement for the Q45 which suggests that the cockpit is tighter than those of the T50 or S40 and it may not work for you if you exceed weight, height or x-seam parameters which I do. Perhaps Robert can talk me through this.

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
With a 46" x-seam - on pretty much any recumbent - a person will be on the outer edges of the fit. This is just a reality we have to deal with. A larger chainstay will definitely help this as it will put the pedals up and out further. On the boom/slider overlap - as long as there is a good 2-3" of overlap thats OK. The S40 boom slider is quite long - on the Q45, the initial batch had a shorter slider - it now has a longer one same as the S40 - but if someone happens to have the shorter version that is an easy replacement.

MICROWATTBOTT

With a 46" x-seam - on pretty much any recumbent - a person will be on the outer edges of the fit. This is just a reality we have to deal with. A larger chainstay will definitely help this as it will put the pedals up and out further. On the boom/slider overlap - as long as there is a good 2-3" of overlap thats OK. The S40 boom slider is quite long - on the Q45, the initial batch had a shorter slider - it now has a longer one same as the S40 - but if someone happens to have the shorter version that is an easy replacement.
Is is correct to assume that each Cruzbike has a unique number so that customer service can look up the specific version and specs for the a new owner of used Cruzbike? Where is it located on a Q45?

veloc_h

E.g. 175cm crank arms might help a bit (helped me on my QX100). But with a new cruzbike I would go for a longer boom. The bottom bracket is in a higher position then.

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
Is is correct to assume that each Cruzbike has a unique number so that customer service can look up the specific version and specs for the a new owner of used Cruzbike? Where is it located on a Q45?
Unfortunately there are no records of SN's for the bikes - they are totally random and usually on the BB shell from the factory that makes the shells. As far as specs - that can be tricky on a second owner bike if someone possibly changed a component, etc. The last handful of years nailing an exact spec is next to impossible as components change on the fly as they are available and also in a few cases are not consistent in an entire batch (some Q's in 2021 have different brake levers than others in the same batch for example)