Adjustments Based On My Height

Bruce B

I received my Silvio frame set yesterday so I spent most of the evening putting the bicycle together. As soon as the Shimano Ultegra triple group arrives I will have my LBS install the Silvio head set along with the Shimano components and incidentals.

My height is 5' 7". My x-seam is 41 in.

How many shims should I use to build the stack height on the steer tube? I think the fewer the better considering my height.

Since I am going to have to adjust the TFT to accommodate my height which hanger position should be used for the front derailleur to avoid problems with the chain when it is on the 30t chain ring?

Thanks,

Bruce

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
You'll need all the shims, one way, or the other. You can stack them in any order you like, above or below the TFT clamp, but you have to have clearance for the cables to pass over the headtube and down through the cable guides. Also, you will have to do the complete front end build, install your wheels, bottom bracket and cranks to accurately set your TFT length. There really is no way around it. Also, better to set your TFT extension long, than short. Otherwise, your cable housings will come up short.

Mark

Bruce B

Mark,

Thanks for the reply.

I have the frame put together so I am able to visualize how the rest of the components are going to fit but I did not think about the cables.

I have been able to sit on the seat and lean back against the back rest. What a strange sensation after so many years of riding a DF. I can't wait to get out on the street and relearning how to ride.

Bruce

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Once you have the bottom bracket and cranks installed, you can sit on the bike and rotate the pedals so you can get an idea where the TFT needs to be set so you get proper leg extension. Then, you want your handlebar set down so it just clears your knees. This is where you want to error on the safe side. You can still shorten up the adjustment and only put minor curvature to the cables/housings. You can't stretch them, though, once they're cut to length.

Mark