Advice on Fit and Backrests/(seats) on Q559

I picked up my first new (to me) Cruzbike Friday, a 2014 Q559, and had a blast getting to take it out a couple times this weekend.

I'm 6'2" and the guy that sold it to me was 6'3". So we're both fairly tall and he had it configured for his comfort level with his height. He had the seat configured at an angle as far down as it could go to put him in more of a horizontal position which he said helped him reduce possible "recumbutt" issues. I've ridden the past 10 years on a Sun EZ tandem and prefer to be more upright. So I moved the seat all the way to it's most upright position.

I did a little over 20 miles yesterday and my butt felt fine, but my back between my shoulder blades got a little sore. The previous owner had also reversed the stem to get the handlebar a little closer to him since he was laying so far back. I'm thinking of maybe switching stems to pull the handlebars a little further away. But I do kind of like the feel of my hands being close in. I thought that was comfortable. Again, it was just my back between my shoulder blades where I got a little sore.

I'm including a picture and a quick video clip and would love for some input on whether you think the close handlebar position to my body might be affecting my back or if you see anything else I might want to tinker with.

upload_2021-12-20_11-12-54.png

billyk

Guru
Well, comfort is a totally personal thing, but to me your arms look much too far back. Your elbows are behind your shoulders/spine!

ymmv of course, but to my taste that looks awkward as hell, considering the essential role the arms take on a CB. You're gonna need to use your arms a lot and in that position you won't have much arm leverage without straining your upper back.

Yeah, try something different and see how it feels.

For instance, turn the stem around (put the bars in front of the steer tube) so your arms are more extended. It's possible that your knees would then hit the bars, in which case a longer or shorter or steeper-angle stem might be needed. When I was doing this testing, I found a cheap adjustable stem to try different positions, then bought the stem I needed once I figured it out. Is there a second hand bike shop nearby?

These bikes have a ton of adjustments! That's a good thing except that the solution space (as we say in the physics biz) is very large and takes a lot of experimenting to find out what works for you.

I've found that fairly minor adjustments can make a big difference in how the bike feels.

Well, comfort is a totally personal thing, but to me your arms look much too far back. Your elbows are behind your shoulders/spine!

ymmv of course, but to my taste that looks awkward as hell, considering the essential role the arms take on a CB. You're gonna need to use your arms a lot and in that position you won't have much arm leverage without straining your upper back.

Yeah, try something different and see how it feels.

For instance, turn the stem around (put the bars in front of the steer tube) so your arms are more extended. It's possible that your knees would then hit the bars, in which case a longer or shorter or steeper-angle stem might be needed. When I was doing this testing, I found a cheap adjustable stem to try different positions, then bought the stem I needed once I figured it out. Is there a second hand bike shop nearby?

These bikes have a ton of adjustments! That's a good thing except that the solution space (as we say in the physics biz) is very large and takes a lot of experimenting to find out what works for you.

I've found that fairly minor adjustments can make a big difference in how the bike feels.

Thanks BillyK. I can always pick up a new stem. The guy who sold it to me also gave me a shorter stem to play with. So I've got some options. I'll try tinkering with it this week and see how my knees do

benphyr

Guru-me-not
With your arms that far back you will be putting your shoulder blades further back into the area where the top of the seat back is.
For me arms just slightly forward of parallel to back is good.

Also, I notice that Cruzbike has seat-back extenders that could be good for your height. (Not necessary, especially with your current seat back angle, but could be nice for more support. ) I have not used them and am 5’8” so less need. I think many of us have just become used to the seat back between the shoulder blades.

Welcome.

With your arms that far back you will be putting your shoulder blades further back into the area where the top of the seat back is.
For me arms just slightly forward of parallel to back is good.

Also, I notice that Cruzbike has seat-back extenders that could be good for your height. (Not necessary, especially with your current seat back angle, but could be nice for more support. ) I have not used them and am 5’8” so less need. I think many of us have just become used to the seat back between the shoulder blades.

Welcome.

Thanks benphyr... couple follow up questions.
1) Can you give me a little more detail on what you mean by "arms just slightly forward of parallel to back"?
2) Seat-back extenders look interesting. I'm seeing them in the online Cruzbike store here. I don't understand exactly how they fit or work, but will look into that some more.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
You are welcome @Bikes&Banjos.

1) If you stand straight up and let your arms hang down that would be what I am calling parallel. I meant the upper arm pivoted at the shoulder so the elbow is slightly forward from parallel. Your position appears to be elbow rearward from parallel.

2) The seat-back extenders go between the seat pan and the seat back and allow the back to be slid up. I have not seen them installed either. Maybe @Robert Holler can put up a picture, video, or describe how they install.

Probably more re importantly than my answers: Wow, you look so comfortable and at ease riding for the first time! Well done.

1) If you stand straight up and let your arms hang down that would be what I am calling parallel. I meant the upper arm pivoted at the shoulder so the elbow is slightly forward from parallel. Your position appears to be elbow rearward from parallel.

aaahhhh... yes... that makes sense. Thanks! As I begin to tweak my handlebars I'll use that as a target position with my arms

2) The seat-back extenders go between the seat pan and the seat back and allow the back to be slid up. I have not seen them installed either. Maybe @Robert Holler can put up a picture, video, or describe how they install.

Probably more re importantly than my answers: Wow, you look so comfortable and at ease riding for the first time! Well done.

Thanks for trying to hook me up with some more install info on those extenders. I'd definitely love to see some closer videos or pix of what that looks like. And thanks for the props on my riding... I can assure you, I'm definitely not as comfortable as I need to be riding this yet, but I can already tell I'm enjoying it

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
+1 to everything @benphyr said.

When I was trying to get used to my Q back in 2014, I turned the stem around like that for a little while. Having my arms so far back made my back hurt, right between the shoulder blades, so I switched it back.

I put an adjustable stem on the Q, and eventually a different set of handlebars, to take care of knee interference with both the handlebar and the shifters.

The 42T chainring that came with your Q isn't Biopace. It's a slightly-ovalized ring kind of like Rotor rings, that Cruzbike made briefly. It was stock on the Quest 2.0 (and 3.0, I believe), but was quietly abandoned thereafter. I still use mine.

You're welcome to look at my modifications thread, with all the trial and error, if you haven't already found it. Click on the "507" in my signature.

+1 to everything @benphyr said.

When I was trying to get used to my Q back in 2014, I turned the stem around like that for a little while. Having my arms so far back made my back hurt, right between the shoulder blades, so I switched it back.

I put an adjustable stem on the Q, and eventually a different set of handlebars, to take care of knee interference with both the handlebar and the shifters.

The 42T chainring that came with your Q isn't Biopace. It's a slightly-ovalized ring kind of like Rotor rings, that Cruzbike made briefly. It was stock on the Quest 2.0 (and 3.0, I believe), but was quietly abandoned thereafter. I still use mine.

You're welcome to look at my modifications thread, with all the trial and error, if you haven't already found it. Click on the "507" in my signature.

Super helpful thread on your 507 with great pix! Thanks castlerobber. That's a sharp looking bike btw

My 559 came with a 36T ring which the previous owner said could get him in a really low granny gear to help him with uphill stop/starts in urban areas. I haven't ridden it enough to get really comfortable with starts yet. So I might play with the ring at some point but not yet. He also gave me the original oval ring. I also have the same replacement air shock. I didn't have experience with the original, but between the larger tires and A5-RR1 shock, the ride seems very smooth to me.

I've got another stem I'm gonna play around with in the next couple days. Not sure if my knees will hit the handlebars or not.

I realize you raised your chainstay which drove you to move the handlebars up. But just out of curiosity. How tall are you?

Last edited: