Aero Wheel-sets for sale - SOLD

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
As mention elsewhere I’m in the process of changing our wheel-sets and we will be posting these 2 sets up on eBay. But I’m putting them here first for the Tribe to consider.

I have Qty 2 Bontrager Aura 5 TLR Wheel-sets available. These run great, are durable as can be, they are a aluminum rim with a carbon fairing, overall a very nice wheel to race or train on…. I am about 1.5-2mph faster on these wheels than on a traditional box rim when running the same exact tire; tested at a track with power meters and on the open road.

So why are we upgrading? Well we are both out growing them and they are honestly sub-optimal for our geographic region. We enjoy the speed, durability, predictable aluminum braking surface. The one short coming of this wheel is that is not elite when cross winds get over 15 mph (they are v-shaped) and we live in the land of the jet stream and never ending wind. Both Mrs ratz and I can handle them in that wind, but it gets rather draining after multiple days of training. This year we have seen a return to our normal regular high wind days, last year we got a break it seems but no more. So upgrade time to the next tier of wheel and toroid shapes is the order of the day.

So if you want to give your first aero or tubeless wheel-set a go then this deal might be for you. I have run these wheels in two configuration.

Configurations
1) Tubeless with Bontrager TR3 Tires
2) Tubed with Continental GP4000IIS tires.

The Conti setup is touch faster but the tubeless is smoother and holds the road better. We’re run a lot of the TLR tubeless we are keeping out TLR box rim climbing wheels. Over 2 seasons on our 4 wheel-sets we’ve had 2 flats between us both from gigantic road debris that tore large holes into the tire carcus.

So As they are now one set is setup for Tubes and One for tubeless

Set 1 details:
Tubed Configure
RIM Mileage: 1500 miles.
Fresh Bontrager rim tape installed
New Continental GP4000IIS 700x25 Tires test run for 50 miles
New Schwalbe Tubes installed
No skewers Bontrager ones are not Silvio/Vendetta compatible.
Ridden in the rain 1 type for 100 miles.
Bontrager Decals removed because they conflicted with the look of the Vendetta

Price new with the tire and tubes: $1312.99

Set 2 details:
RIM Mileage: 750 miles
Tubeless Rim Strips and Valves installed
Bontrager TLR3 700x25 Tires mounted; 1000 Miles
2 Spare tubeless Values.
2 Spare Tubeless Strips.
Core removal tool for stem
Never ridden in the rain

Price new with the tires, values, and strips: $1419.96

Set 1 Tribe Price: $660 + shipping
Set 2 Tribe Price: $710 + shipping

I won’t have time to clean them up and photograph until late next week at which time they will get posted on eBay stripped down to just the rims most likely. Shipping would also be middle of next week due to my work schedule; although I can be bribed with food to pull an all nighter to get them out in a rush :)

In the meantime here are two photos of them on the bikes.
Bontrgers1.jpgBontrgers2 (1).jpg

Technical Details

Bontrager Aura 5 TLR Wheel-set (50mm)

Wheel Construction mixes lightweight aluminum and resilient carbon fiber
Stacked Lacing - Provides a better spoke bracing angle for a stiffer wheel
TLR - TLR rims allow for quick transition from traditional tubed tires to tubeless systems
Construction: Aluminum Carbon rim (23mm outer, 17.5mm inner width) 3 pawl drive system
8 front/24 rear DT nail head 14/15G bladed spokes, with Alpina alloy locking nipples
Compatibility: Shimano 10/11spd, SRAM 10/11
No rider weight restrictions

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Hi Bob,
I might be interested in your #1 set. I am thinking of just having a nice "training" set that I can try out the Tannus solid tires on.
What is the "inside" width of these rims?
Larry

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Ok set number #2 is going to finally go up on e-bay. I did sell the other set to a good friend for $550 so I'll match that for any here that wants them.

Set 2 details:
RIM Mileage: 750 miles
Tubeless Rim Strips and Valves installed
Bontrager TLR3 700x25 Tires mounted
2 Spare tubeless Values.
2 Spare Tubeless Strips.
Core removal tool for stem
Never ridden in the rain

Price new with the tires, values, and strips: $1419.96

Price: $550 + shipping

Aura5CB1.jpg Aura5CB5.jpg Aura5CB4.jpg Aura5CB2.jpg Aura5CB3.jpg