Alchemy?

kz22

It's been stated that a Q45 can be made to be fast. That makes sense intuitively. The most important factor for speed is aerodynamics (frontal area); and the Q45 can be reclined to 35 deg. So, theoretically, you should be able to have both speed and comfort, right?

Is that alchemy/pot-at-the-end-of-the-rainbow/[insert your fool's errand metaphor here]? Has anyone tried that and been pleased with the results?

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
It's been stated that a Q45 can be made to be fast. That makes sense intuitively. The most important factor for speed is aerodynamics (frontal area); and the Q45 can be reclined to 35 deg. So, theoretically, you should be able to have both speed and comfort, right?

Is that alchemy/pot-at-the-end-of-the-rainbow/[insert your fool's errand metaphor here]? Has anyone tried that and been pleased with the results?
I am interested to know as well. I even bought a 2021 Q45 but ended up deciding to sell it after 300 miles in favor of keeping my S40 because I didn't want to modify it.
I think to make it lighter and faster, here is a possible list of things to add/change:

1. Carbon 650b thru axle wheels with Schwalbe G One tires and XD driver (~ $1500)
2. Thor GS Easy seat with Ventisit and neckrest (~$400 plus many hours of fitting)
3. New shock (~$150)
4. Change RD and shifter to Eagle GX 10-52 to keep front 42 ring for both climbing and go fast (~$500)
5. Maybe cut down the stem a little if seat is reclined more

Cha Ching!!! :)

benphyr

Guru-me-not

I thought I read somewhere that the 35 degree was a typo and it is more like 45 that can be reclined without minor modifications. I can’t find the 36 degree anywhere on the current Q45 sale page but even with 45 degree recline you will have similar or possibly better aero than a road bike- depending on all the other aero factors: position, clothing, body fur, bike colour, n-previous decades of doughnut intake, etc.

billyk

Guru
Only ride downhill?

It seems to me that if you're focused on speed, and given the helpful calculations by @cpml123 above showing what the Q mods would cost, then you should just get an S40.
Then you'd also have a lighter bike.

The Q has its niche that it serves very well. For my commuting-in-city-traffic, carry-lots-of-stuff style, it's perfect. I wouldn't try to make it something it's not.

But get the Kind RR1 air shock anyway. It's a huge improvement in ride quality and very perceptible feeling of frame stiffness. See several threads on this topic, e.g. https://forum.cruzbike.com/threads/qx-100-rear-shock-upgrade.11374/
With its swingarm the Q is inherently more flexy, wasting energy, but the air shock improves that. (And it cost more like $75usd, at least it did 3 years ago).

billyk

Guru
but even with 45 degree recline you will have similar or possibly better aero than a road bike
Yes. I did a roll-down test with a roadie friend once on a quarter-mile hill. We came up to the top at the same slow speed, then let both bikes roll freely. He was in his lowest crouch, I sat normally. I beat him to the bottom by a few feet.

And tires! In my experience higher pressure tires do more for speed than anything else.

kz22

I thought I read somewhere that the 35 degree was a typo and it is more like 45 that can be reclined without minor modifications. I can’t find the 36 degree anywhere on the current Q45 sale page but even with 45 degree recline you will have similar or possibly better aero than a road bike- depending on all the other aero factors: position, clothing, body fur, bike colour, n-previous decades of doughnut intake, etc.
I believe I found the thread to which you refer.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
billyk said:
For my commuting-in-city-traffic, carry-lots-of-stuff style, it's perfect
My Silvio was excellent for this, as is my S40. They cannot carry as much as the Grasshopper can, but I do not think the Q45 can either