Aligning steering?

bret

In my case, a 2021 Q45. Hands-off, the steering pulls to the right. My body, and some of it's injuries, are not symmetric.

The forward/lower boom section aligns with it's mount on the bottom bracket - no choice.

The aft/upper boom section appears to have nothing to determine it's rotational alignment - no keyway or such.

The handlebar goes with the aft/upper boom.

I can't see an obvious rotational keyway for fork/steering/boom clamp.

What is a good process for ensuring accurate alignment for all these pieces?

Rampa

Guru
I think your only option is rotating the slider on its axis. But that maybe enough help with slight body geometry issues.

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
If you are riding on a road with any kind of crown the bike will want to go down the slope - is that what is going on?

bret

No. Traffic on roads and bike paths stays Left in Australia. The pull is to the right.

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Hello, Brett,

If I were experiencing this, there are some things I would check. If you've done all this, I'll apologize in advance.

On an inclined flat parking lot or surface (no crown), when coasting downhill, with feet off the pedals, does the bike still pull to the right? If coasting with feet on the pedals, is it different?

Checking the tire position at the fork crown, is the center of the front tire in the center of the fork? (you can use the fender mounting hole in the crown as a reference to check this.)

Checking the tire position in the front chainstay, is it centered at the bottom bracket end of the chainstay?

Counterintuitively, checking the rear wheel, is it centered in the rear swing arm? You can use the kickstand mounting bolt/hole as a reference for this.

Looking at the rear wheel vertically, does it align with the seat post?

A wheel that is angularly offset from vertical can cause pulling. It doesn't take very much offset. The Q45 fork and front end design makes this a fair amount less probable than with the previous Quest setup, but it is worth checking and easy to check.

Bicycle symmetry is important regardless of your physical configuration as a rider, perhaps.

Good luck; let us know how you get on.