Another T50 Emeljay Mod + Carbon Seat Conversion

Gromit

Guru
Earlier in the year (May/June 2020) after not having a Cruzbike for some years, I decided to buy a T50 (frameset).

After extensive reading of threads in this forum, I also decided to do an Emeljay conversion on the front-end of the bike and fit a carbon seat.
I also consulted with rx7mark who had done an Emeljay conversion on his T50. Other folks also gave some very helpful advice.

I initially built up the T50 frameset with the factory-supplied steering riser/extension and a reversed 120mm stem plus the standard seat. Folk who are very familiar with the T50 will notice that I shortened the steering extension, above the stem by 100mm (4").

This allowed me to take measurements off the T50 for the Emeljay front-end and the carbon seat conversion.
I rode the bike whilst planning and buying the parts which I would need to do the conversion.

I took the two 31.8mm seat clamps with rack mounts off the T50's seat support bracket and replaced them with a mismatched pair of 31.8mm seat clamps from my cycle spares box.
I filed away the internal lip designed to stop the seat clamp from sliding down the tube that it usually sits on the top of. The two seat clamps with rack mounts would clamp around the 1 ¼" (31.8mm) slider tube in the Emeljay front-end.
The distance between the two clamping surfaces of the rack mounts on the seat clamps when tightened down onto the 1 ¼” slider tube is 40 mm. The rack mounts have M5 threads.

After some research, I got a 50mm long, Giant Contact OD2 (1 ¼" steerer size, rather than 1 ⅛") stem to attach the handlebars to the end of the slider tube.

I bought 700mm (27.6") of 6082T6 1 ¼” 16SWG tubing to make the slider tube. The alloy of the aluminium is very similar to 6061T6.
I also bought a 125mm (5") square of 5mm (0.2") thick 6082T6 plate to make the two plates to connect the stock steering bracket to the two seat post clamps with rack mounts.
Note - Some folks call the part which I call the "steering bracket", the "pivot clamp". Some other folk say it is the "steerer-clamp".
Here is a picture of the two plates which I fabricated.

The width of the steering bracket is 38 mm where the flat plates are bolted. The height of the steering bracket is 42 mm. The steering bracket is 1 ¼" internal diameter as the steerer extension tube normally fits inside it with some persuasion from a mallet and levering with large screwdrivers. The steerer is 1 ⅛" as is standard on most bikes.
I sliced a 42mm long piece off the end of the 1 ¼” aluminium tubing which I bought for the slider tube then split it lengthwise with a hacksaw to make a 1 ¼" to 1 ⅛" spacer/shim to fit inside the steering bracket.

The M8, button head, allen bolts clamping the plates to the steering bracket take a 5mm allen key. They screw into a 10mm sleeve. The sleeve needs to pass through the bracket plates so I drilled 10mm holes then filed them a little bigger for relief.
The distance between centres of the upper two small holes in my 5mm thick mounting plates was 40mm and between each 5.5mm small hole to the large 10mm hole is 35mm.
An 10mm hole size (M10), 1mm thick, stainless steel, flat washer was fitted over the 10mm sleeve, on each side, before attaching the plates to the steering bracket with the M8 allen bolts.
No washers were needed on the stainless steel, cap head, M5 allen bolts (4mm allen key - 20mm thread length) which attach the plates to the 31.8 seat clamps with rack mounts which clamp the slider tube.

The T50’s steerer is 1 ⅛” size. Cutting down the steerer allowed the top one of the two modified seat clamps to be fitted the other way around, supporting the slider tube closer up towards the handlebars and making the whole assembly a bit stiffer.
I cut off 31mm of steerer. A 5mm and a 10mm height, fat (35mm external diameter), CNC anodised aluminium headset spacer was fitted below the steering bracket. The steering bracket slid over the 42mm long, spacer/shim and steerer with some persuasion/levering from screwdrivers. Another 10mm high fat headset spacer was fitted above the steering bracket. An anodised aluminium top cap, star fangled nut and an allen screw, apply tension to the headset bearings.

I fitted the 50mm long, Giant OD2 1 ¼" stem at the end of the slider tube then mounted the On-One Midge handlebars. A black plastic, end plug, nicely finished off the bare end of the slider tube.

I initially rode the bike with the standard, factory seat. The T50's steering felt more positive than the standard set-up.

I will post about the carbon seat fitting in a later post. I will also post a list of the cycle parts used in the T50 build.

Note - If you click any of my pictures in this thread you should be taken to the same picture in my flickr photostream.
Clicking on the pictures in the flickr photo stream view will show an enlarged version of that picture.
There are also a few more pictures of the T50.

Last edited:

Rampa

Guru
Nice. That is a very clean solution! :)

Using the existing steerer-clamp is a great idea, as it already has the great through-bushing, that is very solid.

If I ever redo mine, I will go with the internal slider instead of the external 1.5 inch tube I chose. It required a bit thinner tube-wall than I wanted. I am still using the metal seat on mine. But I did reverse the mounting plate 180 degrees to move the seat back a few inches. At all the way back, it does not raise the nose to much. I have a new seat on the way, but takes a while to ship from Ukraine!

Gromit

Guru
Nice. That is a very clean solution! :)

Using the existing steerer-clamp is a great idea, as it already has the great through-bushing, that is very solid.

If I ever redo mine, I will go with the internal slider instead of the external 1.5 inch tube I chose. It required a bit thinner tube-wall than I wanted. I am still using the metal seat on mine. But I did reverse the mounting plate 180 degrees to move the seat back a few inches. At all the way back, it does not raise the nose to much. I have a new seat on the way, but takes a while to ship from Ukraine!
Thanks Rampa :)
You'll notice the Giant OD2 stem as suggested by you. ;)

I'm going to post about the carbon seat fitting on my T50 soon. My seat was made in Cornwall, here in the UK. :)

Last edited:

Gromit

Guru
Very, very nice engineering!

I like yours better than mine. Your pivot clamp solution is very elegant.
Thanks Doug. :)

I drew inspiration from rx7mark's T50 Emeljay conversion but maybe took it a bit further along? ;)

Your machine looks very interesting.
I bet that it's much lighter than my T50?
Carbon rear swing arm. :cool:

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Thanks, Big G.

This was something I first thought about in 2006, but never had time to pursue until I retired. All up as pictured, it weighs 28 lbs. I'm trying to figure out a proper fork so I can put disc brakes on it.

Overall, your T50 makes much more sense. I may have to try your mod on my T50.

The 2006 project had been tweaking me for a long time; I decided I had to finally finish it. (Of course, it will never really be finished - too easy to play around with!)

Looking forward to seeing your seat installation.

Best,

Doug

Gromit

Guru
T50 build cycle parts list

Cruzbike T50 frameset. Black frame + Black assembly
On-One Midge Handlebars - polished black
Foam rubber handlebar grips + black plastic bar end plugs
Giant Contact OD2 (1 ¼") 50mm length stem
SRAM Rival brake levers/shifter (Rival 22 front brake lever/gear shifter and Rival 1 rear brake lever)
Shimano SLR Brake Outer Cable + stainless steel inner cables
Clarks gear cable (stainless steel inner cable)
SRAM Apex 1 GXP Road Single Chainset 42T with 165mm cranks
SRAM Alloy GXP Road-MTB Bottom Bracket English thread 68/73mm
SRAM Rival 1 Derailleur - Long Cage
Shimano SLX 11-Speed MTB Cassette (CS-M7000-11 (bs)) 11-40T as it will fit the 8/9/10/11 speed MTB (35mm wide) freehub on my rear wheel
SRAM PC-1110 11 Speed Chain (more than the standard 114 links needed. Added a few links removed from another new PC-1110 chain)
Double-sided SPD-type pedals with multi-directional release cleats on shoes
TRP Spyre mechanical 160mm disc brakes (post mount with 6 hole discs) front and rear (rear brake goes on front wheel of a Cruzbike ;))
26" Disc Brake Wheel Set with black 20 mm (intl) rims (25 mm extl) - 32 spokes
Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres 26" x 1.5" (40-559)
Schwalbe SV12A Inner Tubes (Presta valve) - 26" Tyres - (25-559 to 40-559)
Busch & Muller Cycle Star Mirror - Short Curved 901/3 (RHS - Centre of road in UK)
Zefal Spy Mirror (LHS - Kerbside in UK)
Ocean Cycle Carbon Fibre Seat - medium size (Made in Cornwall, UK)
Ventisit seat pad 91×26/24/26 cm - Comfort version (3cm thick) - Medium size (SKU 1068)
Terra Cycle FastBack Carbon Slim Seatback Bag - for carbon fibre seat

Transmission's gear inches - 26.9” to 97.7”

Last edited:

rx7mark

Guru
Thanks Doug. :)

I drew inspiration from rx7mark's T50 Emeljay conversion but maybe took it a bit further along? ;)

Your machine looks very interesting.
I bet that it's much lighter than my T50?
Carbon rear swing arm. :cool:
I especially like your steerer tube solution better than mine. But overall very similar, and very well done!

Mark

Gromit

Guru
Carbon seat fitting

I had initially thought to buy a Thor Seats Easy seat in carbon fibre from Gregor in Poland as I know that he does good work having bought one of his seats before.
A friend suggested that I contact Marcin Szewczyk, another Polish moulder who is here in the UK (Cornwall). Marcin works at ICE Trikes but was willing to make a similar seat to the Easy seat in his own time. After chatting with him on the phone and an email or two with pictures of his work, I decided to have him make my carbon seat instead.
Ocean Cycle Carbon Fibre Seat (medium size).

Marcin let me know which Ventisit pad would fit his seat and suggested that the Comfort (3cm) thickness was the best option. I agreed with his opinion having used that thickness before.
I ordered the pad directly from Ventisit in The Netherlands. It arrived very quickly.
Ventisit seat pad 91×26/24/26 cm - Comfort version (3cm thick) - Medium size (SKU 1068)

I was impressed with the seat. Very nice work. :)

Time to sort out the carbon seat fitments. Here is a picture of the standard T50 seat base bracket attached to the standard seat base. Sorry, it's a bit grubby after a ride on damp roads. ;)

The bracket is too wide to fit in between the ribs on the back of the carbon seat which give the seat its rigidity. I also recall from rx7mark's T50 seat fitting thread that he noticed the same issue with the Thor Seats Easy seat.
I decided to cut away the slots at each side of the seat bracket to make it narrower. Before removing the bracket from the standard T50 seat base, I drilled two holes through the bracket and the seat base, on the centreline, so that I could still refit the standard seat. I had to drill an extra hole between the two holes, equidistant from them, as one of the bolts was contacting the T50's main frame tube. That extra hole is not shown in the picture of the modified bracket below.

I sat the carbon seat onto the modified bracket on the T50 and worked out where I should drill through the seat and bracket to attach the seat. I went for a seat back angle of around 40 to 45 degrees (hard to be sure due to the lumbar support and the "kick upwards" at the top).
The curve in the seat bracket and the curve at the back of the carbon seat was so similar that no rubber or plastic packing was needed between them.

I cut up the self-adhesive "hook" velcro, supplied with the Ventisit seat pad for its lower attachment (loop velcro), into three smaller pieces and stuck them to the seat as shown below. The second, upper, shoulder-height, patch of self-adhesive "hook" velcro is out of sight in this picture. Note that some of the apparent marks on the seat are actually reflections in its polished surface.

The standard rear seat support is too wide to fit between the ribs on the back of the carbon seat too.
I took inspiration from rx7mark's seat thread again but again went with my own take on it. ;)

The two brackets are made out of a length of 2mm thick aluminium angle (no idea what alloy, I've had it for years).
The dimensions of the bracket are approximately 20 x 30 x 40mm.
I used two 10mm diameter 6082T6 aluminium rods (350mm long) between the rose joints (re-used from the standard T50 seat support bracket plus two bought off eBay) initially but there were too many rattles in the assembly. I bought some stainless steel eyebolts and used those instead of rose joints at the seat end of the rods as pictured above. Quieter. :)
The rose joints and the eyebolts are threaded M6. An old friend has a machine shop at the back of his home and used one of his lathes to drill and tap the threads at each end of the rods.

The finished result!
A Terra Cycle FastBack Carbon Slim Seatback Bag is fitted to the carbon fibre seat in the picture below.

The carbon seat together with the Ventisit Comfort pad is a lot more comfortable than the standard T50 seat. In addition, the shaped upturn at the front of the seat shell helps to keep the rider centred and from sliding off to the side on long, sweeping bends.

BTW - I originally intended to wrap the handlebars with handlebar tape but the foam grips are more comfortable. I've removed all of the black insulating tape from the handlebars now and used black cable ties to secure the brake and gear cables to the handlebars. I've also fitted black plastic plugs into the bar ends to neaten the look of the handlebars.

Note - If you click any of my pictures in this thread you should be taken to the same picture in my flickr photostream.
Clicking on the pictures in the flickr photo stream view will show an enlarged version of that picture.

Last edited:

Gromit

Guru
Light mounts

I made some light mounts for the T50 out of plastic plumbing fittings. The fittings cost £1.23 each (less than $2 (USD)). :)
They're approximately 31.8mm diameter. ;)

The rear mount attaches to a bracket made from a piece of 2mm thick, flat aluminium sheet which I had to hand. I cut and bent it into shape.
Here's a picture of the bracket with a Knog Blinder rear light (red LED) fitted.
I ride with both front and rear lights flashing in daylight, for safety. I have a white LED Knog Blinder front light too.

Last edited:

rx7mark

Guru
Carbon seat fitting

The finished result!
A Terra Cycle FastBack Carbon Slim Seatback Bag is fitted to the carbon fibre seat in the picture below.

It really turned out great, you are going to love it! It makes the T50 feel like an entirely different bike, a much more capable one! I know I could not ride the stock set up more than about 20-25 miles, now I do 60-100 mile rides every year with no issues at all. And my speed and confidence on the bike was greatly improved with the change.

Enjoy your newly transformed T50!
Mark

Rampa

Guru
I would recommend moving the seat back a little if you can. Even if it's by drilling more holes in the base plate. Then you can get your cranks up a bit higher. You will probably not effect traction much, if at all.

Gromit

Guru
*** SOLD *** :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The T50 was sold to another person in the United Kingdom in December 2020.
Please see my advert in the Cruzbike forum Marketplace for details.

I will continue to "watch" this thread and am happy to answer questions about the content.

Last edited: