Anyone get double hip replacement surgery?

The Brook

Hi Tribe,

In March, I was sent to an orthopedic surgeon, where I was diagnosed with severe degenerative hip osteoarthritis in the left hip, and was scheduled for hip replacement, originally scheduled for September (our waiting times for elective surgery are terrible up here).

I have been able to ride decently well, as there are about 4 days a week where I can push somewhat hard, and I can stay in shape. The other 3 days, I usually have to ease off, as there is discomfort.

But in the last week, my right hip started hurting, and the progression of discomfort and pain has been scary, in the space of 1 week, it has gotten as bad as my left hip. There have been days where I had to use a walker to move around the house and when I went out. I called my surgeon's office, and my doctor said that when the original x-rays were taken, he had noted that my right hip was affected then, but since there was no discomfort, he simply noted it. Now, he asked me if I wanted both done at the same time. I agreed.

What I want to know is: has there been someone here that has undergone this double hip replacement, and what can I expect?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Denis

ed72

Zen MBB Master
I can't help although I have met upright cyclists who have had one or both hips replaced and they were happy with the results. But.....any surgery like that is a major deal. For instance from memory, I had dinner with a RAAM racer and IIRC, he told me he started cycling after breaking hips and pelvis. He had one or both hips replaced. He did RAAM and many other races thereafter. IIRC, it wasn't an osteoarthris condition, I think he had an accident. I also have met randonneurs who have them. So, it shows that one can do serious athletics with new hip(s). Fitness helps the body heal. I had my rotator cuff done and healed very, very quickly although crashing on it 3 days after surgery had me inventing new curse words nonstop for 15 minutes. My dad waited too long and once in his 80's, nobody would touch him and he was in bad, bad pain......consider that during the very difficult decision

I wonder if my left hip is shot. 2 years ago, I had DEXA done on it. T score was -2.7. If I push too big a gear at too much power, it hurts pretty good for several days. Time for short cranks and granny gear

Last edited:
I have not had hip replacement surgery but I have had a TKR and then a revision. https://bonesmart.org/ Has a ton of information. It is based out of England, I think. I am sure you will find folks that have done both hips in the forum. They might not be cyclist but it will give you some insight.

The Brook

My dad waited too long and once in his 80's, nobody would touch him and he was in bad, bad pain......consider that during the very difficult decision

Hi Ed, unfortunately, the waiting issue is beyond my control, with COVID shutting down Elective Surgery AGAIN with the big wave here in province of Quebec(RED zone)
And, unfortunately, The waiting times here for Hip surgery before Covid was already over 6 months, I have no idea where I am on the list when they reopen them. I was way down at the bottom when the first shut down occurred in March...

Fortunately, I'm only 65, and in pretty good shape, considering.

ed72

Zen MBB Master
[/QUOTE] Hi Ed, unfortunately, the waiting issue is beyond my control, with COVID shutting down Elective Surgery AGAIN with the big wave here in province of Quebec(RED zone)
And, unfortunately, The waiting times here for Hip surgery before Covid was already over 6 months, I have no idea where I am on the list when they reopen them. I was way down at the bottom when the first shut down occurred in March...

Fortunately, I'm only 65, and in pretty good shape, considering.[/QUOTE]

Wow. 6 months wait. That is nuts. We have a friend in Holland who had to wait longer than that just to get an MRI (blown out lumbar discs) and now several months just to meet and review these results with a surgeon while she is bed ridden. Hope you can get your hip quicker than that.

I was trying to get 4 new artificial discs installed in my neck at a hospital in Europe but the situation is the same as yours although there are tricks to get into Europe thru the backdoor. I am having some just diagnosed cancer cut off my face next week, so, I suppose I am lucky not to have scheduled the new neck.

ed72

Zen MBB Master
You could try to contact magic builder john morciglio, he had both hips done and still rides hard.

The Brook

Update on my surgery.

I'll be going in on Wednesday Mar 17th for both hips at the same time, really looking forward to it, as the pain is pretty bad.
In the last month, my right hip has gotten so bad that I can't sit for more than a few minutes, or my hip locks up. Unlocking it takes up to 5 minutes of serious pain, 8 out of 10 on the scale.

As a result, I've been almost bed ridden, I can get up and walk maybe 10 minutes, anything more, and my hip wants to lock up every few minutes after I get back home, even when I'm lying down, which is now the only position that I can tolerate. My physical conditioning is shot to hell . Once I'm given the green light after PT, I'll have to slowly build it up again, but I'm looking forward to it

So, hope I see those riders in my area in late April, when I should be starting to push it again.

Regards,
Denis

billyk

Guru
I had double hip replacements 18 years ago. Degenerative arthritis. Problem solved. A miracle. Never think about it (except at airport security). It's like when you take your car in to get a new clutch. For about a week it's like "this is great! ". Then you just forget there was a problem.

Good luck! Gotta do that PT after to get your muscle tone back, though. Even if you're feeling good, take it easy for 6 weeks or so. You'll be back by summer.

The Brook

Well, its's been 6 weeks post op now, the PT was hard, but apart from the muscles you use to get up when you've been seated for say an hour or so being still quite weak, I'm most of the way rehabbed.
But my doctor will only let me ride on flat ground for 15 minute at a time, for now.
Hopefully, in a week or 2 I should be given the green light for more.

Have fun on your rides,
Denis

jond

Zen MBB Master
Well, its's been 6 weeks post op now, the PT was hard, but apart from the muscles you use to get up when you've been seated for say an hour or so being still quite weak, I'm most of the way rehabbed.
But my doctor will only let me ride on flat ground for 15 minute at a time, for now.
Hopefully, in a week or 2 I should be given the green light for more.

Have fun on your rides,
Denis

great news happy days. Getting old is worn out I reckon and it should work in reverse.

I imagine one day equitably divided health care.......

in the mean time let’s age disgracefully and use our collective wisdom.

enjoy your future rides Denis. I hear knees are harder than hips. Not sure what will go first in my case lol.

The Brook

Hi gang,

it's been a year now since my double replacement, and I'd say I recovered to about 95%, still have trouble getting up when seated in a deep, low chair, need to brace myself with both hands and push up. Also, the muscles that help in stabilizing my walking motion are still weak, still need to continue my physio on them.

On the riding side, I was surprised on the ease of riding, once I am able to get on the Cruzbike by laying it down on the ground, putting the frame between my legs, then lifting it back up while I straddle the frame), I was then able to pedal freely, no discomfort, no restrictions in pedalling movements.
Yes, it was a tough recovery, but I'm so much better than I was, it's pretty amazing.

Did my first ride of this year, on an incredible false spring day (60 degrees F, average for this time of year is 35F) with a little breeze, and with a huge grin on my face.

Enjoy your rides, I know I'm enjoying mine.

Denis