Archer Components D1x Trail Shifter Gen2

Y.P. 'Max'

Has anyone installed an Archer Components D1x Trail Shifter Gen2 on their Cruzbike, or anything else, really? Has anyone ever used one?

I'm interested in Archer's wireless shifting and its purported ability to increase shift accuracy. Additionally, I want to avoid the wallet bomb of a wireless SRAM groupset swap because, if possible, everything should be backwards compatible with existing equipment, and with SRAM, it is not.

cruzbike-me-png.14599

rfneep

I’ve used the Archer Dx1 system on my Azub SIX and was thinking of putting it on my S30. The system is very flexible and does work reliably. However, as the reviews on the web state, it does shift a bit slower than an integrated system like the SRAM AXS. If you ride aggressively you may want it to shift faster. However if you are into more casual riding trails, touring, etc. it may work fine for you. I eventually decided to keep it on the SIX for casual trail riding, and decided an AXS system fits better for faster road riding.

(Actually I just sold my SIX but kept the Dx1 system. It’s in a box somewhere in my shop...)

Ray

Y.P. 'Max'

I’ve used the Archer Dx1 system on my Azub SIX and was thinking of putting it on my S30. The system is very flexible and does work reliably. However, as the reviews on the web state, it does shift a bit slower than an integrated system like the SRAM AXS. If you ride aggressively you may want it to shift faster. However if you are into more casual riding trails, touring, etc. it may work fine for you. I eventually decided to keep it on the SIX for casual trail riding, and decided an AXS system fits better for faster road riding.

(Actually I just sold my SIX but kept the Dx1 system. It’s in a box somewhere in my shop...)

Ray
Thanks for the info!! I am not looking for the fastest shifting, just the more consistent shifting.

I did some more research and found some nice SRAM 12-speed cassettes that are 10 x 52 ($80ish on eBay). If they fit on my bike, this will give me more speed and climb (needed!). An Archer Dx1 ($430ish) plus a 10x52 will only set me back about $810, or just one-third the price of a new SRAM groupset. :eek:

I'll for sure post about it if I do decide to use the Archer Dx1, and if I decide to go with a 12 speed cassette.

Max

cruzbike-me-png.14599

Y.P. 'Max'

I had considered it, but I could not come to a conclusion about where I would like to mount the shifter. I had friction shifters on a Felt triathlon frame (on the ends of aero bars) that I used for about 6 years with never an issue. (you are correct, sublime!) I just couldn't sort out a placement on the S40 that I felt would work for me, out the gate.

I have already purchased and mounted the Archer Components D1x on the S40. It took me 5 minutes to mount, and about 5 minutes more to set up for the first ride. I have to say, after 100 miles it works as promised. Precise shifts, every time. I'll do more of a review in a couple of months.

cruzKurt

I assume you all using the archer are running 1x drivetrains? I have had real good luck picking up SRAM Red eTap groupsets off eBay for $1000. Have to wait around for a deal to show up, but I have bought two over the past couple years.