Before you ride a cruzbike...

currystomper

Is there anything you can do before you get a Cruzbike to help with the transition.

I was wondering if there is a style that you can adopt on a normal bike to help with the transition. maybe help train up some of the minor muscles that you need for a cruz....

Currystomper

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
currystomper wrote: Is there anything you can do before you get a Cruzbike to help with the transition.

I was wondering if there is a style that you can adopt on a normal bike to help with the transition. maybe help train up some of the minor muscles that you need for a cruz....

Currystomper

I can't imagine, really. It's really funny with people. I've seen some people that struggle to go 20 feet on the bike and then a guy gets on and goes off like he's been riding one for years. I think you're better off being a total newbie, than an experienced cyclist. There are fewer habits to unlearn. I'll refrain from saying bad habits because they are only bad habits in comparison to what it takes to ride a Cruzbike.

Mark

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Ride your normal bike out of the saddle, and with as smooth a cadence as possible, no movement of the frame side to side, no movement of the handlebar.

Kamatu

Read the posts and think it out. I went through a dozen things the first time on the bike, but since I was ready for them, it was like going through a checklist, do it "wrong" once or twice, correct and move on.

Main thing is riding time, I don't have enough of it.

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Kamatu is right - and the quicker you can relax your shoulders the quicker everything will come together.

Don't spend a lot of time in anticipation before you get the bike - it's like worrying, and it will just complicate your first ride.

You'll get it, don't worry!

Best,

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
In thinking about this, I decided the best thing you could do to prepare yourself for Cruzbike riding is to ride your regular bike naked. This will do absolutely nothing to help your riding technique, but it will better prepare you for the inevitable pointing, staring, laughing and other assorted reactions people give when you pedal by.

Mark

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Mark B wrote: In thinking about this, I decided the best thing you could do to prepare yourself for Cruzbike riding is to ride your regular bike naked. This will do absolutely nothing to help your riding technique, but it will better prepare you for the inevitable pointing, staring, laughing and other assorted reactions people give when you pedal by.

Mark
I mentally blew chunks....
:eek:

-In the spirit of the thread?
I have a vivid memory of having very detailed, full-color dreams of me riding a bicycle.
I had the dream often.
Then, when I finally rode a friend's bicycle for my very first bike ride, it was easy.

It was kind of like training in a simulator, I bet.

-Steve

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
yakmurph wrote:
Mark B wrote: In thinking about this, I decided the best thing you could do to prepare yourself for Cruzbike riding is to ride your regular bike naked. This will do absolutely nothing to help your riding technique, but it will better prepare you for the inevitable pointing, staring, laughing and other assorted reactions people give when you pedal by.

Mark
I mentally blew chunks....
:eek:

I know what you mean. After I posted that, I went back and reread John T's post about riding standing up. The word "helicopter" comes immediately to mind. :lol: :lol: :shock:

Mark

currystomper

The alternative to riding naked is to ride a folding bike, I've been doing that since 1998.

When I ride a 'normal' I wonder why people are not staring!!

My folders have been a Bickerton, a Dahon Speed 6 and now a Pacific Cycles Reach*

...so that's that lesson done. ;-)

Currystomper

* A good start for a cruzbike??

Rick Harker

Hey Bloke,

Don't worry about the comments.

The only negatives i get is from the "cool" dudes of about late teen early twenties who are "hangin" out (along with their arse) and have little intelligence in the bike world (except they think they have).

The majority though are curious or interested and the kids ere the most vocal with the word "cool" being used the most.

For most of the time I'm whistling happy tunes even singing Queen's song "Bicycle" and "Fat bottomed girls".
And as you ride past, from the movie Madagascar, "Just smile and wave boys, just smile and wave".

Regards,

Rick.

I was stopped again on my way home from work a man had seen me many times on the Sofrider and wanted to ask about the bike. He had problems with his back and saw the sitting position and thought that might be the right bike for him? He had seen me pass many times. He got my phone number and took a picture with his mobile phone to show his wife. The other man who stopped me for a couple of weeks ago was thinking about getting a Sofrider and using it to commute to work. He wanted to take a test ride one evening. I have mostly down hill to work so in the evening going home my speed is not that fast so people can stop me if they want to ask about the Sofrider. :)

Peder