best of breed Bike Repair Stand

buyagain

I just held a contest to see who could come up with the best entry level "bike repair stand". I'm embarrassed at how much time I've wasted over the internet looking for said item. The benefit is, however, that I won my own contest and am rewarding myself by buying the end result of all my research. Also, if you like my results then you get the benefit of all my hard research.

I'm sure there will be opinions on this and I welcome yours. My most stringent requirement was to find the best bike clamping or holding device available for the money. I'm afraid this is the main weak spot for most lower end bike stands. That not to say that some are quite adequate for securing most bikes but a good vice like single contact clamping is a real time saver over time. If you have something other than a single vise type clasp to hold your bike to your stand I welcome your opinion of how well you think it works. Indeed you may have the better alternative. I feel that $120 is the high end of entry level stands and I just paid $99 including freight for mine. If you feel a lesser clamping devise is worth the savings then by all means let's hear your opinion. In the mean time I think I just won the Value contest on an entry level bike repair stands. If your interested, I got it at the following link.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/TL602G04-Feedback+Brs-50R+Repair+Stand.aspx?viewAllReviews=y#5

PS Now that I own a bike repair stand does that qualify me as a bike geek?

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
I have one of these, except they were yellow when I bought mine.

It works very well for the Silvio, Sigma and Quest; it's a little tricky for the Sofrider and Freerider.

I drilled a through-hole further down the center tube and relocated the clamp assembly about a foot farther down, so I can easily get to the brake and shifter controls when I'm working on things at wheel - level; I can also sit on my rolly stool and work on the derailleurs.

You can see what I did to mine in this photo:

IMG_2760.jpg

This is a very good stand for the money; the clamp opens wide wenough to accommodate all the recumbents I've needed to put on it.

And it folds up nice and compact, too.

Best,

Doug

buyagain

I'm digging the bike on the stand. Where in the world did you get that seat? Also you need to send me to school because I thought suspension was a must if but to protect ones back. I like the looks of this conversion and maybe I could copy it Just explain, please what counts as the suspension on this rig.

Bob

buyagain

Thanks for the steer, Mark.

So it looks like the bike in Doug's photo might be an unfinished ongoing thingy.

I'm also disappointed my new all powerful bike stand might not have been the best choice for the Free- Sof-rider and my Avalon style frame. But as soon as it comes in I'll see what Doug meant.

Regards
Bob

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Hi Bob,

"unfinished ongoing thingy" is a reasonable technical description. Given the local traffic patterns, I figured if it ever left the cul-de-sac it would be a death trap around here

Actually, I think the ultimate stand will hold your Avalon just fine, and there are workarounds for the Sofrider/Freerider, and it holds the Silvio really well.

For the money I don't think there's a better recumbent stand out there.

Best,

Doug

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Hi Doug,
I'm shopping for a

Hi Doug,

I'm shopping for a stand. I was thinking of the Park Tool PCS-10 but am still looking around.

How is this Feedback BRS-50R stand holding up? Any gripes with the clamp mechanism? Any problems with the clamp damaging the finish or not being able to clamp around wires, braze-ons, etc. if need be?

How about clamping to the new hydroformed Vendetta? Any issues clamping a Silvio or Quest?

Thanks,

-Eric

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
For the Vendetta, clamp on

For the Vendetta, clamp on the slider, forward of the headtube, is my suggestion. This is a wide tube, 48mm diameter, so the clamp mouth must accommodate that.

I don't use a stand. I have a trainer without the resistance engaged. I do that because a lot of my work involves pedalling over and I can't do that with a stand. My dream set up would be a 350mm high narrow bench, with a front wheel clamp on it to allow the transmission to work. I sort of have a couple of these.

gannet

For some reason I was set on

For some reason I was set on getting a Tacx Spider Prof T3025
http://www.tacx.com/en/products/tools/spider-prof

thinking it would fit the larger Cruzbike tube. But then a local mob had these on special, so I grabbed one:
PARK TOOL Bench Mount Repair Stand PCS-12
http://www.parktool.com/product/home-mechanic-bench-mount-repair-stand-pcs-12

My garage is still being built, so I don't have a bench to mount it to so I haven't used it yet, but it certainly looks good! I did fiddle with it, removing a collar-thing off the bolt, which allows the jaws to open a bit further, I'm sure it will work well.

Meanwhile, like John, I use a trainer, which is fine if you don't need to be removing the front wheel.

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
I bought the Park PCS-10

I bought the Park PCS-10 after John mentioned the size of the boom on the Vendetta was 48mm which is right at the limit of the Feedback BRS-50R.

I really like it, especially the way it folds up. I was missing a fastener for the head clamp unit and dropped a note about it to Park Tool on their website and they mailed the missing nut and bolt the next day after I contacted them - great customer support.

-Eric

Rposar

Second on the PCS-10....

At Eric's recommendation, I bought the Park Tool PCS-10. It was little more expensive, but I found it one sale at modernbike.com and was able to purchase it for $150. I love the adjustable height and it's ability to fold to a portable size, to allow taking it to events. Thanks again Eric!!

BikeGary

I've got a park repair stand but when I clip in the boom the rest of the bike wants to swing around. They make a gizmo for holding the handlebars in place for DF bikes when you hold the bike by the seat post. Anyone have an idea for what to use for us bent riders?

bret

I've got a park repair stand but when I clip in the boom the rest of the bike wants to swing around. They make a gizmo for holding the handlebars in place for DF bikes when you hold the bike by the seat post. Anyone have an idea for what to use for us bent riders?

I clamp the seat post, or the front triangle, and leave the other wheel on the ground. I'm not usually working on both at the same time.