Bike Computer/Head Unit

CruzRider

I am looking to snag a bike computer over Black Friday. I had a Wahoo Bolt v1 in the past, but it is sadly no more.

The unit will primarily be mounted to my S40.

I don’t use maps frequently (ride on Bike Trails or Known Routes), but I would like to have Power/Speed/HR/Cadence/Ride Time visible to me. I do worry about obstructing the view.

I am contemplating strapping an Apple Watch to the handle bar.

I see a mix of Garmin/Wahoo/Lezyne units in your posts. Any recommendations?

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
If you can find a Lezyne Mega XL I'd recommend that. It is kind of big, and does have mapping, but 2 things I really like about mine is the absolutely massive 48hour battery life, and the ability to put it in landscape mode so it doesn't stick up too much into my field of view. Screens are customizable to show what you want to see, and the Lezyne app is free. It is waterproof, and even though I don't ride in the rain, it uses buttons instead of a touch screen so you won't have touch screen issues just in case you get caught in the rain.

Andreas

If accurate elevation is important to you, then don't go for Garmin.
I have the new 840, and it shows at least 15% more elevation gain than my old 810 and my wife's Wahoo.
It's good for someone who wants to impress themselves, but bad if you're on a planned route with elevation details (e.g., Brevet) and need to know how many meters (sorry, feet) are still ahead.

Henri

scatter brain
I do worry about obstructing the view.
On my V20 I don't like my large smartphone horizontally on the bars, but other than that I see no problem. Of course you don't want an "out-front aero mount", but have the display against the bar. If necessary, maybe one could also mount the display more to the side, so it only obscures view of the brake hoods.

am contemplating strapping an Apple Watch to the handle bar.
I think that is only a good idea, if you already have a watch. If you don't, a real purpose built cycling computer should be better to look at. (If you don't want to look at it, put it in a pocket/bag.) If going with a watch, could you not wear it on the inside if your wrist and still use it's heart rate sensor?

I have the new 840, and it shows at least 15% more elevation gain than my old 810 and my wife's Wahoo.
My Wahoo routinely tells me I am on the hardest part of the climb, when I am still rolling down on my way to the climb and congratulates me for completing the climb when I am just struggling up the steepest part.

CruzRider

Thanks all. I have been researching the Mega XL. Looks like a solid choice and found it on Moosejaw for $150.

However, I realized that I had forgotten about the Varia RLT Radar. It doesn’t look like the Mega XL supports the Varia.
I guess I have to think about it some. The radar had been a great safety tool.

I also found a Garmin Edge 130 refurbished on Woot for $99, if anyone is looking for that.