Broken Titanium rear suspension -1

super slim

Zen MBB Master
I just bought two X Lotto tickets 2 weeks ago (I did not win anything) as I THINK I just rode 40 Km in, up and down the Adelaide Hills with a broken Titanium Rear suspension top link.

See attached photos!

Near Lenswood there was a different noise from the rear brakes (which were not working well due to all the road grime they picked up).

I stopped and looked at the brakes, but could see anything wrong.

I rode the rest of the way slowly, max 40kph on downhill sections, (as it was raining) only using the front brakes.

When I got within 300m of home, I lifted the bike up a high curb and saw the rear wheel wobble all over the place.

I walked it home from there!

I am amazed that the rear end performed so well, without the top link, as I could not feel any movement of the rear end!

The Titanium link was 1.3 mm thick.
187_e7cd6271deedfd60e74f441fd6bbc2bc

The 4 mm wide hard point on a 30 mm wide flat spring, is BAD, as when the spring deflects 15 degrees for the 15 mm max deflection, it is trying to do it around the central 4mm while the outer 26 mm has a hard point 0 to 4 mm back, so the spring was being bent in TWO directions!!!
The fracture in the central 4 mm was OLD, and it then finally let go!

The new Titanium spring is 1.54 mm thick, and I have added a 10mm radius starting 5 mm from the CL of the closest clamp bolts, so that the last contact of the spring moves around the radius and a hard point is NOT created.
187_217e7e26481f5be89f3837b93ca6b070

I will do another post to add other photos, and an autocad LT drawing

If you push your Silvio FAST (50 to 75 kph)down bumpy bitumen roads, so you can overtake diamond riders(10 to 20 years younger) who overtook you going up the hill, as your suspension allows you to peddle flat out and still keep road contact, then I would have a good look at your Titanium spring and file the radius in the fork top and the frame bracket.

Regards

Super Slim