Build up with V2/K frame

cb123

I am thinking about purchasing a V2/K frame and a conversion kit and cannibalize my Trek 7.3 29er for components. Can anyone help me with this? Is this a good way to go or not? If so, will I run into problems on the front trying to use a 700c wheel? Not many used bikes in North Carolina to buy. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
V2/K

What part of NC are you in? I am sure you're aware that Cruzbike has its US office in NC also! Aside from that, I live in Columbia, SC and would be happy to answer your questions or even provide an introduction to MBB on a Silvio.

I think the V2/K is a great way to start. I think there is no reason 700C won't work, as Sofriders which have the same base frame have been successfully converted to 700C.

cb123

Thanks! I live in Snow Hill

Thanks! I live in Snow Hill which is about a couple of hours from SC border. I commute a 24 mile trip but end up with sore rear end after about 6-7 miles and have tried to correct this problem but I can't. So, I am going to try a recumbent and I really like the cruzebike. What problems do you see in switching parts to this type bike?

Jerrye

Spam Slayer
Not far...

Being in Snow Hill you're not too terribly far from Lumberton where the Parker's are. This is the CruzBike HQ that Andrew references. Call or contact them. I'm sure they're willing to help.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
People have successfully

People have successfully built 700 c conversions before (29" tires use the same rims (622) as 700 c tires) . What I don't know is whether or not you'll have any issues getting the fork to work (I'm not familiar with the trek model), but your plan is sound.

Note that you won't be able to use disc brakes on the front with a conversion.

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
CB123

Is your commute 24 miles round trip or is that each way? I used to commute 27 miles round-trip and that was comfortable without feeling I was overdoing it.

The Cruzbike will definitely alleviate the soreness issues.
thumbs_up.gif

I think the disc brake tabs on your fork will create interference with the Cruzbike brackets that must be mounted to it. If this is correct, you will have to either cut off the tabs (which I don't like to do) or buy a replacement fork without tabs. You would lose the front suspension, but a road fork is a good option. If you choose this route, look for a fork made of steel or maybe alloy, just don't buy carbon -- it's not recommended due to the point-load of the brackets and jubilee clamps.

Finally, like Charles said, disc brakes will not work with the V2/K conversion.

cb123

I just realized that I will

I just realized that I will have to make an adjustment on the front fork for the cassette to fit. How should I do this? Glad I have not purchased anything yet. Any help will be greatly appreciated.