Cane Creek, Rockshock Dart 3...

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Hi gang,

Well, I finally scared up enough components to do an "upgrade" build on my Conversion. I had purchased a much nicer Y-frame (Mongoose brand...probably from the same factory) than my previous Wally-World trash...mostly to get a 1-1/8" headset and a lower seat height (smaller frame). I also scored a NIB Rockshock Dart 3 (v-brake and disc compatible) off of ebay for chump-change...$50 shipped.

For the past month or so, I've been discovering how annoying manufacturers can be. The frame was listed (on ebay) as requiring a "Zero Stack" headset. I started researching 1-1/8" headsets and found out that "Zero Stack" is an industry term for "low profile"...unless you are Cane Creek...and thereby hangs a tale.

When the frame came in, I took it to my LBS to score a headset...but nothing they had would fit. None of their catalogs had actual measuments, so I could not figure out what to do. My LBS guru remembered having problems before, but couldn't recall the solution. So, I took the frame to another LBS guru...in another part of town. We measured the headtube ID @ 44mm and he had a book that said 44mm = "Zero Stack" headset only. Well, several of the manufacturers sell "zero stack" headsets...and I chose the FSA model.

When the FSA arrived...it was 49mm and would not fit! By this time, I started to do some serious research. After a while I came across a note on an obscure website that alluded to the "proprietary" Cane Creek "Zero Stack" headset...with 44mm dimensions. Seems that Cane Creek decided to create these "internal headsets" with a 44mm diameter so that only their headsets would fit frames built to that standard. Bastards. :evil:

So, I received my Cane Creek ($30 more expensive than the others, naturally) and it works fine.

On to the Rockshock...

Today, I decided to 'build' the new bike. I disassembled the previous bike (removing the Cruzbike conversion kit) and got to installing the Rockshock. Well...the Conversion plates do not fit. The lower disc brake mount interferes with the adapter plate leg and won't allow the reaction leg to seat against the downtube. No worries! A bit of creative hacksaw surgery, some fancy file work and it fits like a glove. If I had some silver paint, you couldn't tell it had been modified.

This frame is 2" shorter than the Wally World frame...but it didn't help the seat height problem at all (that I can tell). The top tube configuration is just different enough that the seat rides higher on the frame...cancelling out the shorter frame. My cup runneth over. :roll:

Ah well, this will be a nicer ride than the Wally-World bike. The Rockshock is infinitely better (no 1" to 1-1/8" adapter and no soft-drink can shims either) and I have an air/air Rockshock SID for the rear (another cheap ebay score). A Shimano Ultegra triple ($119 shipped) and a new 9-speed rear (well, front) are on their way. I suspect this will be enough until my savings are sufficient to go Silvio. :cool:

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Well, I finally got this b*tch together and rideable. No end of niggling problems but she's nearly road-ready (need to tie up cables, etc.). The seat mount modification worked quite well, I merely hacksawed out the middle section of the seat bracket, leaving the two side pieces as bracketry/stiffners. I cut up an old tire to pad between the seat and the top tube, added the standard ring clamps and it works swimmingly. You can't see it in the pic but the level reads "45 degrees". I gained (subtracted) about 1.5" in seat height by going with this frame and seat mount mod.).

Cruzbike%202.jpg

So, now I've gone from cheap beer to a good Belgian tripel. Ultegra triple up front (30/40/52), Sram X.0 shift group (9 speed twisters, rear D and 11-32 cassette), Rock-shock Dart 3 front shock, Rock Shock SID rear. This should be a sweet ride...if it will stop raining. :)

I think I need to put about a 5 degree bend in the seat-post, that will move the seat back about an inch. I'm just a bit far forward at the moment. I also need to replace the SRAM front D with an Ultegra. The SRAM isn't deep enough for this set-up and the chain drags the bottom of the shift cage when on anything but the 30/32 combo.

edit: well...gee Marc, look at your own picture! I bet if I took out all those headset shims, the top tube angle would change enough that the front D might actually work as advertised. Sheesh...

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Marc,

Can you take some of the preload out of the fork, to lower it a few inches? maybe a stiffer elastomer set with fewer donuts in the fork?

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Hi Doug,

I need all the preload I can get to keep it from bottoming out when I sit on it. :eek: Actually, I need to get a really stiff spring set.

I don't know anything about the guts of this fork. It is a 2009 Dart 3, I don't remember seeing any elastomers in the exploded views. I know the older "Judy" shocks had various elastomeric stacks...

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
TD2,

It looks like you can still flip the seat post clamp to the inside of the rails and lower the post some more. You might not have to bend the post.

Nice looking ride can't wait to hear how she rides

Mark

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Not sure if I can flip the clamp. The clamping bit is already "inside" and there is very little room between the tip of the seat post and the seat pan. I'll take a look at it though, every little bit helps.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Finally got to put a test ride on this new version of my conversion. It has been sitting for a while waiting for me to get my act together. Weather---vacation---etc., life gets in the way sometimes. :cool:

I spent a bit of time getting the last-minute items done, cable-ties, tire pressure, shock pressure, etc. As this was one of those 'takes forever' builds, I made sure all the nuts and bolts were tight...well, except for one important bit. I got out on the road and made it about a half-mile from the house when that rather important bit parted company with me and the bike. Seems I had never put a wrench on the pedals...they were only on finger tight. The right pedal looped off into the grass. Doh! :x

A half-mile walk back to the house didn't hurt me; chase the thread a bit, re-install pedal, apply torque...back to riding!

Wow, the 'upgraded' shock system on this bike is a world of difference from the previous "wally-world" set of springs. Very smooth and very comfortable. Also, the upgrade to the shift components made a big difference, smooth and precise shifting, 27 gears with a 30X32 'granny', I think I can probably climb trees now.

I had no further problems and put in a very comfy 15miles. I need to rig up a Camelbak mount like the one I have on my Baron (Fastback). The 45 degree seat incline is quite comfortable but I still need to move the seat back an inch or two. I'm just too far forward the way it is currently rigged. I did try to reverse the seat mount, Mark, but I could not get it to work (or get any closer). I'll get it worked out soon enough.

Nice to be back on the road again. The weather seems to have returned to 'normal' again, so I'll be putting on the miles!