CBSV-098

zivl3

I only have 160-ish miles on it so far, but I'm a lot more comfortable now than the first wobbly ride. It still takes more concentration to ride than my other bikes, but I get more relaxed with each ride. I built it up with Sram Force components. I found an Axiom rack that fit on the back to hold my Arkel Tailrider.
4377898624_12c922eb64.jpg

4377898862_6e46e5cb2e.jpg

Nanda H.

Looks great, like the rear rack setup also.

I spy two little bags on the TFT, or are the battery packs? Is there some wiring running to the rear also, just in front of the rear leaf spring?

So do you see 098 serving as a speedy commuter as originally envisioned?

If you need to unload some of your old fleet, I'd be happy to list them on my Ex-Lovers page eh :)

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
That Axiom rack looks really good. Could we see some detailed shots of the attachment? In particular, I'm curious how you connected the lower legs. Thinking about it; doesn't this arrangement negate the rear suspension?

Mark

zivl3

The bags on the TFT are battery packs. They are for the forward facing Dinotte lights on the handlebar. One is a white light for seeing where I'm going and the other is an amber flasher so others can see me. There aren't any wires running to the rear though. I have a seat bag wedged into the space between the seat and the lower frame rail. There is a velcro strap that goes around the frame rail to hold it in place.

Yes, 098 is going to work well as my speedy commuter. I've already matched my best pace and I'm still getting used to riding it. I'm looking forward to dry, clean roads. I have yet to ride it where I didn't have to deal with dampness of one form or another. I started out with the Duranos but I hit a rock and put a dangerous-looking slice in the rear tire. The Duranos did a lot better in the wet than I expected. I now have a Durano front and an Ultremo rear. The Durano actually felt more secure on damp pavement but I'm going to put an Ultremo on the front to have matched set. I should also try wider tires. The 23's are pretty hard and narrow.

Here's a shot of the Axiom rack and how it attaches. It's bolted to the unsprung section of the rear triangle. I don't think that it would interfere with the suspension but maybe I'm not seeing it right. The Axiom rack isn't as pretty as the Old Man Mountain racks, but it's longer and supports the Arkel bag better.

4385817447_f19570583a.jpg

The clearance between the rack and the top of the tire is pretty minimal. It's only a few millimeters. It hasn't been an issue, but I'll probably take a Dremel to the rack and increase the clearance.

JonB

Zen MBB Master
zivl3 wrote: The clearance between the rack and the top of the tire is pretty minimal. It's only a few millimeters. It hasn't been an issue, but I'll probably take a Dremel to the rack and increase the clearance.
sounds great, i love racks like that. There is no need to be a huge open empty space.

kling

Hi zivl3,

Like the bike too. The Axiom rack w bag combination looks like it has the added advantage of acting as a mudguard to prevent the annoying water splash to the back of the head phenomenon. Does it do this well?

cheers
Kendrick

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
zivl3 wrote: It's bolted to the unsprung section of the rear triangle.

Its bolted to the rear triangle, which is sprung. ;) I like that it does not duplicate the seat stay.

Was it able to attach with more clearance over the wheel or was that its maximum?

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
John Tolhurst wrote:
zivl3 wrote: It's bolted to the unsprung section of the rear triangle.

Its bolted to the rear triangle, which is sprung. ;) I like that it does not duplicate the seat stay.

Was it able to attach with more clearance over the wheel or was that its maximum?

From the pic, it looks like it could get more tire clearance, but it would be into the brake caliper.

Still a nice rack, thanks for the picture.

Mark

zivl3

Mark B wrote:
John Tolhurst wrote:

From the pic, it looks like it could get more tire clearance, but it would be into the brake caliper.

Still a nice rack, thanks for the picture.

Mark

The extention adjustment at the rear of the rack is max'ed out. If the brake wasn't there you could rock the rack forward and get more clearance. Or if you don't mind a rack that isn't level, you could raise the front of the rack. I had to flip the front mounts (right to left and inside to outside) and bend them a bit to make it work but the bends that they come with make them clear the brake nicely. I also cut them down so the ends didn't stick up through the rack. The rack was actually made for a hardtail MTB with disc brakes.

The bag on the rack does make an effective fender of sorts. You can see the stripe of road sludge, that sprayed up from the tire, running down the center of the rack. I didn't have any residue on me or my helmet.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
I like my racks to be level, as well. Wait... That didn't sound right! :shock:

That looks like the best option I've seen for a rear rack; good find!

Mark

Flasharry

I like it too and it's available in the UK.
I think you can turn the brake round and mount it on the front of the rear forks to give more clearance.
Stuart.

Mark B wrote: I like my racks to be level, as well. Wait... That didn't sound right! :shock:

That looks like the best option I've seen for a rear rack; good find!

Mark

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Flasharry wrote: I think you can turn the brake round and mount it on the front of the rear forks to give more clearance.

I was thinking more along the lines of taking the brake off, shifting the rack forward, then reinstalling the rack. I don't know if there is clearance inside the rack for the brake to function properly, but I'd at least take a look at it.

Mark