CCA Time Trial

Rick Moore

On Sept 26 there is going to be the NC/SC 40 K Time Trial Championships in Wade NC (very close to Fayetteville). After I asked them, they have added a recumbent category! It is open to anyone from any state but medals are for NC/SC residents. You can sign up through BikeReg.com. Since many of us are doing the weekly TTs, I thought many of us might want to do it!

Rick Moore

I forgot to mention that you will have to purchase a USA Cycling license to race. However, I believe you can purchase a 1 day license when you register.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
n Sept 26 there is going to be the NC/SC 40 K Time Trial Championships in Wade NC (very close to Fayetteville). After I asked them, they have added a recumbent category! It is open to anyone from any state but medals are for NC/SC residents. You can sign up through BikeReg.com. Since many of us are doing the weekly TTs, I thought many of us might want to do it!
Great find Rick! Sounds like fun!

LarryOz

On Sept 26 there is going to be the NC/SC 40 K Time Trial Championships in Wade NC (very close to Fayetteville). After I asked them, they have added a recumbent category! It is open to anyone from any state but medals are for NC/SC residents. You can sign up through BikeReg.com. Since many of us are doing the weekly TTs, I thought many of us might want to do it!
Rick, I went to their calendar and did not see this event. Do you have a contact number for someone that I can call and talk to?

LarryOz

Got it - Too bad their calendar does not match up correctly. This may be a definite possibility for me! I will be up in Wash, NC for the final of Alvin Maxwell's 12-mile TT competition and I was going to head over to my parents in Cary on Sat. Fayetteville is not too far from them - so I will definitely see if I can make it work out. Anyone else nearby that wants to have a go at it. I know there are quite few Cruzbikers in Raleigh, Cary, Apex, Durham area - and other's within driving distance - We could be a pretty good sized group . It is great they added a recumbent category - I think we should try and make a good showing. Plus it's only 40K right? - if you ride fast enough it will be over in less than an hour! :rolleyes:

LarryOz

I am trying to sign up for this. I thought I read you could pay a one time fee for a USA Cycling License, but I don't see that on the reg form anywhere. It is requiring USA Cylcing # when I try and register. Has anyone else signed up for this yet?

LarryOz

I contacted someone and they fixed this issue. If you are recumbent you can now get a 1 day USA Cycling license when you sign up.
I am now registered for this TT - who else?

Last edited:

LarryOz

Jeffrey R. Rick M, and myself all made it over to this event. It was very well attended with over 100 riders of many categories and ages. Some VERY fast riders too!
Cruzbike was well represented with one S30 and 2 V20's. No other recumbent riders other than the 3 of us!
This was a pretty tough course and slowed down by windy conditions, rough roads and 9 turns (on of which was a complete 180 on a narrow road!)

40K TT results.JPG
Avg Speeds:
Larry: 26.2 mph (best 20K Cruzbike TT avg speed this year was 27.7)
Larry's Power meter died on him 2 days ago! So he has no comparable power data.
His avg HR at 171bpm and perceived effort were about the same for his best 20K TT effort, but speed was much less due to the conditions.
Due to windy conditions his front disc cover probably hurt his time. It was tough controlling the bike and he was force to ride with both hands of the drops instead on one over his chest

Rick: 21.5 mph (best 20K Cruzbike TT avg speed this year was 22.0 on roughly the same wattage)
So, Rick was able to hold his fastest 20K TT wattage for this entire 40K TT - Same effort, slower speed due to rougher conditions - Congrats!!!!

Jeffrey: 21.0 mph (best 20K Cruzbike TT avg speed this year was 20.26 in late June)
Jeffrey was also able to exceed his fastest 40K TT of the year by 6 or 7 minutes - Amazing feat under some hard conditions. - Congrats!!!!

waiting for some pic from Rick and Jeffrey to post. This is all I have:
Carolina 40K TT Championship-00-00-13-780.jpg
Larry V20 at 40K TT.jpg
JR warmup.jpg

Congrats !!!
BTW...How do you guys rig up your rear aero cover for your deep carbon rims ??
I'm wanting to do the same.

Last edited:

Jeffrey Ritter

Well, Rick did a good job of summarizing, but I will add a few thoughts. First, it was awesome to actually have a race! This year totally sucks and it was so fun to have the three of us together, whatever the event. Second, Rick's right--I had a great ride. Perfect warm up--went "hot and wet" to the line. Only had two moments--off the start, another rider was finishing fast from behind and a car was filling the opposing lane--so I lost a few secs just avoiding a disaster. Then, out on the road, an 18 wheeler was patiently pulled up behind us, as a car raced around him (unaware of why the truck was slow), opposing traffic came along and had to brake so hard and fish tailed a bit, as the passing car dove back into our lane right beside me. Took a few breaths to get on pace!

Rick reminded me it took him 14 miles to make up the one minute head start I had, and I only lost 30 seconds over the last 10 miles--really he only fell out of sight on the final climb and turns! Given everything this year threw at all of us, I'll call it a success.

One week off and then I have been seduced into the Cruzbike Zwift TT crew so a new season is afoot!

I emailed wheelbuilder about the aero jacket cover for our application ( equal dish cover for a front wheel) and they said they wouldn’t do it. I had an aerojacket for a 26” wheel on my Baron. Wish I had kept it.

Rick Moore

Yes it was a lot of fun and sure was good to finally race this year! This was the fastest 40K TT I’ve ever done (I think participating in Larry’s 12 mile TT challenge really helped me)! Also, riding the V-20 also helped with the speed!
Once we started. I did have one small advantage — Jeffery went off 1 minute ahead of me and so I had someone to chase. And yes it took 14 miles to catch him!