Clipless Pedal Recommendations Needed

Ben Guthrie

I'm a new S40 rider with only a hundred miles logged in so far. I'd like to change to clipless pedals and am looking for any recommendations. I've used Bebop pedals on my Easy Racers GRR for 20+ years, but Bebop is no longer in business and with the higher foot placement on the S40 vs the GRR, I want to be able to unclip quickly in these hilly areas where I ride. Getting the benefits of clipless and quick unclipping are my primary drivers. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
The best bang for the buck is probably Crank Brothers. We are facing the same problem here: the last frog cleats are dying. So we are going to try the Candy's because at $59, why not.

Meanwhile, I'm probably going to email Chip at Wahoo and give him crap for killing the pedal. I had the pleasure of getting to know him digitally enough to try; I mean, really, how hard would it have been to keep making frogs? They haven't changed in forever. While I'm excited that he saved SpeedPlay and brought us SpeedPlay power meters (still my favorite pedal, and I can abandon my vectors finally), would it have been that expensive to keep a pedal that sells < 5k units a year? The good news is he's getting older, so he'll be a recumbent guy eventually, and he was fascinated by the V20s we built for RAMM.

Terrarium

How are people managing arch pain if they're pedaling mid-foot, i can't take it. It's obviously superior to the 3rd metatarsal, but I'm going to need insoles i think.

Henri

scatter brain
How are people managing arch pain if they're pedaling mid-foot
I thought there should be less arch pain, when you can use the whole foot. (Think I saw that in a bikefit video just recently.) Maybe it's a question of stiffness and not filling the space unter the arch. The force may not be transferred in the middle of the foot, but in the ball and the heel. I like Pedaling Innovations' Catalyst Pedal for that with their fery long platform, but they are platform pedals. (A cooperation with Magped would be great.)
And well, probably a cycling shoe that actually fits feet (about 20% wider! and maybe many should ride a longer one anyway) would be a start for everything. Goes together with a healthyly developed/unfolded and well trained foot (walking barefoot or in barefoot shoes, maybe some special exercises).

But how did you get to this question in this thread? :D

Tuloose

Guru
I have been using SPD's ever since Shimano introduced them.
I had Looks on my old road bike once but didn't care for the duck walk in those huge cleats.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Most shoe companies track the Italian Company DMT; I always size for DMT and then order shoes on the European size charts. That's almost never a miss; Some shoes like DMT come with high-end heat molding insoles. For others like Sidi, you have to throw away the crap they send and buy after-market. Given the price of the insoles, shoes on the high end are suddenly affordable. This assumes you can get 7-10 seasons out of a good pair unless you ride in the rain daily.

Top chart road shoes
Bottom Chart off road shoes