Component Selection

3WHELZ

Guru
Can anyone provide feedback on the Xerolite XR-1 wheel set that is include within the Silvio Component Set with Wheels? From the research I have conducted on the web, feedback has been generally positive, but there has been some question regarding riders heavier than 150 lbs. At 6'2" and 180 lbs, I am trying to determine whether they can support my weight given that I am a fairly aggressive cyclist. Thank you in advance

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
The suspension on the Silvio protects the wheels. On regular bikes, any bump you don't see will hit the wheels hard.

WhiteSilvio

johntolhurst wrote: The suspension on the Silvio protects the wheels. On regular bikes, any bump you don't see will hit the wheels hard.

So if you do see the bump and hit it, it won't hit as hard as if you don't see it?? :D

JonB

Zen MBB Master
WhiteSilvio wrote:
johntolhurst wrote: The suspension on the Silvio protects the wheels. On regular bikes, any bump you don't see will hit the wheels hard.

So if you do see the bump and hit it, it won't hit as hard as if you don't see it?? :D
Correct

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
I don't know.... I know the suspension helps, but you can still get your teeth rattled, let me tell you! :shock:

Mark

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
JonB wrote:
WhiteSilvio wrote:

Correct
I mean, on a road bike you can hop the bike up. I hopped up a 6" curb once when I got forced into it. :) But on a road bike, there will always be a bump you did not see coming and you will ride straight through it. This is the bump that delivers more peak force to the rim that what you can achieve on that bump riding Silvio.

3WHELZ

Guru
Okay, I have decided that it is not a matter of “if” but “when” to become a convert. I need to first thin the recumbent herd occupying my bar area. No way am I on parity with Doug’s collection, but we have a gathered several trikes and a quad that consume a bit of space.

Oddly enough, I have no experience with Campy products. Although the Campy component set appears to be a very attractive package, I am still on the fence regarding component selection. However, it appears that those with Campy seem to be pleased with their selection.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
3WHELZ wrote: Okay, I have decided that it is not a matter of “if” but “when” to become a convert. I need to first thin the recumbent herd occupying my bar area. No way am I on parity with Doug’s collection, but we have a gathered several trikes and a quad that consume a bit of space.

Oddly enough, I have no experience with Campy products. Although the Campy component set appears to be a very attractive package, I am still on the fence regarding component selection. However, it appears that those with Campy seem to be pleased with their selection.

Campy makes nice stuff. The shifters, which are arguably the most important (and expensive) parts are totally rebuildable. Shimano shifters are pretty much throw-away.

Mark

Gromit

Guru
Mark B wrote: Campy makes nice stuff. The shifters, which are arguably the most important (and expensive) parts are totally rebuildable. Shimano shifters are pretty much throw-away.
I hope that Doug's thumb bar end shifter experiment works out well. Aren't Thumbies quite a bit cheaper that brifters? ;) :)
EDIT Though you also have to factor in the extra cost of the brake levers as well as the thumbies, of course! :oops:

backley

Silvio kickstand or flickstand?
Does anyone have any experience with a method of parking your Silvio that keeps it safe and upright when making pitstop during a ride? Any pointers or ideas would be gladly accepted and appreciated.
I thought about a Kickstand but how to attach it and the weight issues make me leary of this method.

I also thought about a "flickstand" type of support for the front tire but a point of attachment for such a device seems elusive as well.

What do you forum members do for temporary parking of your Silvio?

Thanks,
Blaine

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
backley wrote: Silvio kickstand or flickstand?

What do you forum members do for temporary parking of your Silvio?

Thanks,
Blaine

I'm a well documented leaner. In lieu of a leaning spot, I will lay it on its side (none drive side, of course) or flip it over so it rests on the seat back and handlebars. This is how I fix a flat, too.

Mark

3WHELZ

Guru
An update courtesy of Dr. Jim Parker, when you purchase the component and wheel set --
Quote: You will only need inner tubes and 700c tires for your two wheels.  That's it.
Even a pair of what I would call training pedals come with the package. Now that is what I call customer service!! I am off to purchase a repair stand this afternoon from REI (they are having a big sale). I am looking for ward to the Silvio's arrival.

A big thanks to Mark and Doug for all their guidance.

Dean

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
3WHELZ wrote: An update courtesy of Dr. Jim Parker, when you purchase the component and wheel set --
Quote: You will only need inner tubes and 700c tires for your two wheels.  That's it.
Even a pair of what I would call training pedals come with the package. Now that is what I call customer service!! I am off to purchase a repair stand this afternoon from REI (they are having a big sale). I am looking for ward to the Silvio's arrival.

A big thanks to Mark and Doug for all their guidance.

Dean

That's an impressive package. It would only be better if they flew Doug out to your house to do the build1 ;)

You're more than welcome for any help I've given. I'm more like an excited big kid, even after a year. I hope this bike does for you what it does for me.

Reading your ride reports and feeling your excitement and enthusiasm will be my reward!

Mark