conceptualizing a folding MBB (for having it custom built)

Henri

scatter brain
Hello everyone,
folding recumbents have two disadvantages against folding uprights: Their length and the large seat. MBB is great here, because the additional length it movable anyway. My V20c is already much shorter when I swing the front around, although not optimal because front and seat collide and the handle bars stick out a lot.
I have a Birdy folding upright (Riese und Müller) and I really like and I really like that it has "no folding hinge" in the frame, because it uses the already existing swing points as hinges. So I naturally also like the idea of using the steering front triangle as well.
But for the handle we'll need a hinge to fold it down. As a basis for that I'd use the older tall stalk style, that's still used in the current T50. With 20" wheels the steering and moving tubes might come low enough to clear under the seat when folded or it needs a seat that has a cutout or squishes away like one of those flexible hammock-style seats (also great for folding the seat, I guess).

I've already posted in the German forum
This thing already looks great

Now I need a sound geometry and someone to build it.

I would like full suspension or really wide tires to be able to ride everything I need to ride. Should be an efficient ride, but does not need to be very fast.

Attachments

• 1667937393599.png
    1667937393599.png
    13.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Henri

scatter brain
Oh right and optimally many people want one and Cruzbike starts building them and I can just buy one. :D

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
I've built two (three if you count my folding tandem); I'm about to cannibalize my suspended folding Cruzbike and put it on another folding frame.

The problem with Birdy is the front fork. But if you swap out another fork, I think it would make a lovely folding Cruzbike.

Henri

scatter brain
I'm not looking to convert an existing bike, only use it as inspiration for a custom built frame (or new Cruzbike product). With an MBB I don't expect front suspension. Flevobike shows it's possible, but that construction looks a bit heavy. - Might be an opportunity though, to decrease hight when folded! (Might do a sketch later.)
Without front suspension I would want quite wide tires and don't really need rear suspension, but when using it as the folding hinge, it's nearly free so why not have it? :D

The Sat R Day compromises ride too much: Very small wheels and inefficient drivetrain.

Henri

scatter brain
To take it in any train get into the city and be mobile there. Or to join half someone's ride in a car and ride the other half. (For example driving someone home, who drank alcohol. ;) )

Last edited:

Henri

scatter brain
Oh wait, did you mean why enough others would want one, so Cruzbike would build one? Why would I need to give reasons? Folding bikes are obviously enough of a thing that many people have them and there are many models. There are also several models of folding recumbent bike. And as we all know, rebunbents are the better bikes and MBBs are the better recumbents, so every folding bike user should want a folding MBB, if they don't need it even smaller than even an MBB recumbent could fold. :D

But If you don't need/want one and are not interesting in fleshing out the idea, that's all right, too. ;)

3bs

whereabouts unknown
the t 50 frame is ideal for a fold joint. I haven't done it yet because i have been a little busy with life and i have too many incomplete projects the way it is. the frame just sits waiting patiently. i have already done the other things to make it a great folder - cut down the stem, flat bar, and a 406 wheelset.

3bs

whereabouts unknown
have you ever seen the brompton recumbent? every now and then i see a stray picture on the internet with crank way forward.

sitoudien

I was going to start a similar thread, but you beat me to it. I think Bromptons are the most ideal folder for a travel bike. A 20 inch Brompton clone is available because the patent has expired. Throw the T50 triangle on a brompton. It will never be as small as a normal folder, but I bet it will fit a carry case. I don't know if there is a market for a folding bent. The Q45 is not really a folder and as the ugly duckling of CB, it really needs an update. The T50 with a folding hinge should be a no brainer. If I had the means, skills, and parts, I'd build it myself.

sitoudien

the t 50 frame is ideal for a fold joint. I haven't done it yet because i have been a little busy with life and i have too many incomplete projects the way it is. the frame just sits waiting patiently. i have already done the other things to make it a great folder - cut down the stem, flat bar, and a 406 wheelset.
Do you have any pics?