Conversion Bike draws lots of attention

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
I'm always amazed at how many people look hard at my conversion and can't see the mountain bike lurking beneath the Cruzbike exterior. On our group ride today, we stopped for water at a convenience store and there were a couple guys that were absolutely freaking out over my bike. They were giving the usual questions and when they got to the part about how much does it cost, I explained that it was a homebuilt conversion based on a y-frame mountain bike. Not only did that guy freak out, but so did one of my friends that has ridden with me countless times. He never noticed and was stunned. He also made the point that I always ride the bike that's a conversation piece. I guess that's true!

Later, after the ride, another friend and I went off to meet his wife at a local store so he could get a ride home. We sat around, waiting for her to come out of the store when this gentleman tracked me down. Apparently he had seen the bike pedalling through the parking lot and had to find out about it. I gave thim the web address, so we may be seeing him on here soon.

These bikes definitely get noticed. I've had two commercial built recumbents and these Cruzbikes get more attention than anything. Unreal.

Mark

JonB

Zen MBB Master
Mark B wrote: These bikes definitely get noticed. I've had two commercial built recumbents and these Cruzbikes get more attention than anything. Unreal.
Maybe it is because cruzbikes dont look too apart from a normal bike. They are not too low, and they dont have small weels. I was just out riding with a HP Velotechnic SpeedMachine. It looks weird. Small front wheel, long, low sitting point, big handlebar, but it doesnt look like a cruiser. Pedals are too high up.

moose

I think you guys are right. The bike I was riding a lot right before I built my cruz was the Optima Orca.......with 63 speeds no less. People would stare but hardly erver ask questions. The cruzbike gets a lot of questions. My favorite has been..........."Hey is'nt that a real bike?"
Moose