crankset derailleur

dlanornic

Hi, I built a bike from a Schwinn al.comp mtb and the conversion kit. It worked fine but the crankset was geared to low- 22/32/42. I replaced it with a Shamano 27/38/48 and now I can't get the derailleur to work. It appears to be on the wrong angle and the chain rubs either one place or the other. Do I need to use a different derailleur or what? I'm kind of new to all this and this is the first time I really did anything with a bike like this! Any ideas how I can get back on the road outside of going back to the old crankset?

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Given that the difference in

Given that the difference in gears is very similar (20 teeth old crankset, 21 teeth new crankset), I would expect that you could get the front derailleur to work. Try posting some pictures (or even a video) how how it's rubbing (turn the bike upside-down if you don't have a stand).

dlanornic

Here's a new angle

Ok, That new crank isn't going to gear it up enough so this is want I would like to do. Find a 30/39/52 crankset that would bolt on the conversion kit and work without any questions. Surely someone's already did that and I just haven't found the post. Please, somebody help me get this bike on the road before I go back to my long frame for good!! No,really I want to ride this thing right now but I'm not very bright about figuring out the details. :(

dlanornic

Clarifying my problem

Thanks for replying. I will try to clarify my problem which is what I should of done at the very first post. I'm short,5'8", so I have the ajusting tube almost all the way to the end making it as short as possible. In that position when the original derailleur from the donor bike is clamped onto it, it's about 25 degrees off(just a guess) and about 2inches too high so when the front derailleur is mounted on the tube it doesn't line up with the gear rings like it should. The bottom kicks out and there is no way to get it back into adjustment. It looks like it needs a different pitch or a setup like the silvio has to adjust it front and back and up and down.I can fabricate a mounting system and use the original derailleur but I really want one that just bolts on the tube and works. Another derailleur with the same clamp to chain guide relationship will not solve the problem. I may be just plain blind to the obvious but I'm not seeing the solution so far.