Cruiser Conversion

oolieiv

Would something like this work as a donor for a conversion?
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Huffy-Cranbrook-26-Men-s-Bike-Bronze/19855931

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Hi,
People have converted

Hi,

People have converted non-suspended bicycles before and in this case the big tires would help.

The big problem I see is seat height. How tall are you and how tall is the cross bar?

Cheers,
Charles

oolieiv

I'm about 6'1, but with a

I'm about 6'1, but with a little more torso than leg. All the information I have at present is what's on the website there. Just liked the look and was wondering if that style frame would work. I really like riding, but have had some hand/wrist issues that have been keeping me off of it, so I'm looking at getting a conversion kit as an entry level way into recumbents.

How far up would be too far for the crossbar?

Thanks!

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Doug has answered that

Doug has answered that question somewhere on the foruns (good height)...

I think you'd be much better off starting from something like this one instead...

Good luck!

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
This one is a bit more but it

This one is a bit more but it looks like the conversion seat might fit better.

-Eric

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Hi,
I think Eric's right.

Hi,

I think Eric's right. This one is the cheapest so far and would probably work better than the first one I posted.

I should definitely point that your best bet might be looking in your local Craig's list postings and getting a higher quality but used bike. For all of the Walmart bikes, I'm somewhat suspicious of the quality of the components (even if the frames are probably fine).

Cheers,
Charles