Cruzbike 3000 Mile Challenge 2021

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Cruzbike 3000 Mile Challenge 2021

What is it?
The Cruzbike 3000 Mile Challenge - 2021 is a 26-week cycling challenge officially created and sponsored by Cruzbike and administered by Larry Oslund.

This is a challenge to ride the approximate latitudinal length (about 3000 miles) of the USA over the course of the 26 week challenge. There is no speed or time element required, only that you ride the miles. There are 182 days in 26 weeks so all you have to do is average 16.5 miles per day to complete the challenge. You don’t have to ride every day. If you are up to riding centuries, you could do one 115 mile ride every weekend and also complete the challenge.

The goal is to get everyone riding more and show everyone what is possible with just a little time and commitment (and it’s free!)

Is there going to be a winner with this challenge?
Everyone's a winner if they ride!

There will be a weekly leaderboard so we can all see each other’s progress and cheer each other on.

Anyone who completes 3000 miles or more in the 26 weeks will be given a "Cruzbike - I rode 3000 Miles" shirt to proudly wear.

What will I need to participate:
  • Your bike - any kind!

• Time, but not as much as you may think - probably much less than an hour a day - but you will have to plan ahead to be able to complete the 3000 miles in 26 weeks.

• You can ride anywhere and just record it via the Strava app on your phone, or with any other GPS device like a Garmin

• You can ride online via any virtual platform that will provide realistic mileage per your weight and power output (like Zwift)

• However you ride, you must upload the ride to Strava

• If weather ends up being an issue you can even ride part of the ride indoors and part outdoors as long as the rides are uploaded to your Strava account.

• You will need to create a Strava account (you can create one free) and upload your rides weekly

• You will need either a smartphone to run Strava or a Garmin (or similar data collecting device/ride computer) that can collect your ride data and upload it to Strava. Most new ride computers can be set up to auto upload to Strava.

• Consistency. Just a little bit every day will do it!
How It Works
  • Weeks will run Monday through Sunday

• Week #1 will begin on Monday May 3rd and end on Sunday May 9th. The remaining weeks #2-26 follow the same Monday through Sunday pattern.

• The 26th week will start on Mon Oct 24 and end on Sun Oct 31

• Click on this link: https://www.strava.com/clubs/Cruzbike-3000-Mile-Challenge-2021 and request to join the Strava Club - this will greatly help Larry in tallying the weekly totals

• Ride your rides during the week

• You do not have to submit anything to Larry. All rides must be completed by Sunday of that ride week and uploaded to Strava by end of the day Monday after the week.

• Larry checks the Club board on Tues morning the following week and copies that miles and elevation figures into his master spreadsheet and tabulates all the ride stats for the week for everyone, emails everyone in the challenge and posts them on the Cruzbike forum.
The Nitty Gritty
  • You can ride online or outdoors in any combination

• You can ride in any event or race - as long as you record your ride and upload it to Strava so it can be seen in your totals

• You can ride with a group - drafting off each other is allowed

• You can ride some, stop for lunch, ride later - as long as the total ride starts and stops during the same day

• You can join the challenge any time

• Weekly results will be emailed to everyone and posted on the Cruzbike forum.

• Whoever rides over 3000 miles will receive a special Cruzbike shirt
Who can ride?
Anyone on any bike can participate

Please email larryoslund@gmail.com if you are interested in participating.

What do I get?
Everyone's a winner in this challenge. Anyone who completes the 3000 mile challenge will get a specially designed t-shirt .

Unique decals will also be awarded in the categories below. These can be displayed proudly on your bike, water bottle, laptop or anywhere you like.

Anyone who participates in the bonus challenge (see below) and raises $3000 or more for 3000 Miles to a Cure will get a specially designed 3000 Miles to a Cure bicycle Jersey.

Special category decals available to anyone
Cruzbike is also creating a special one-of-a-kind decals for this 2021 3000 Mile Challenge. At the end of the challenge, each rider who has earned one or more of these categories below will receive one of the appropriate decals below

The categories are:

• Century decal (for anyone that completed 100 miles in one 24-hour period)

• Double Century decal (for 200 miles in one day)

• Triple Century decal (for 300 miles in one day)

• 100,000 feet climbed in 6 months

• $1000 earned for any charity (see below) Share your fundraising page with us when you get there!

Bonus Challenge:
Motivate yourself by raising money for your favorite charity.

If you would like, you can raise money for 3000 Miles to a Cure, a brain cancer research charity supported by Cruzbike.

Creating a fundraiser on Facebook is easy and will help you stay motivated to finish this challenge. Facebook donates every penny raised to the charity you choose. Instructions for creating a Facebook fundraiser are below:

1. Open Facebook on your phone or laptop

2. On your laptop click the plus (create) to the right of your name, scroll down to fundraiser and click it. On the phone click the menu button and scroll down. You may need to click See More.

3. Click create fundraiser

4. Select Nonprofit or Charity (3000 Miles to a Cure or your favorite charity)

5. Fill in the fundraiser details: suggestions below
How much do you want to raise: $3000

End date: August 1, 2021 (unfortunately Facebook only allows 3 month fundraisers, but you can extend)

Title: I’m riding 3000 Miles for brain cancer research!

Tell us why you’re doing this: Want to join me in supporting a good cause? I'm riding my bike 3000 miles before October 31 to raise money for 3000 Miles To A Cure. This is a challenge for me! Your contribution will inspire me and others and make an impact on this awful disease. $500. Every little bit helps. Thank you for your support. I've included information about 3000 Miles To A Cure below.

We believe that we will change the future for people diagnosed with brain cancer. We’re passionate about finding a cure, and we embrace every challenge along the way with determination, integrity, and most of all, hope. Our mission is to end brain cancer by raising funds for research and extending an open invitation to unite in hope and action for the cure. We cannot achieve our mission without you.

Facebook pays all the processing fees for you, so 100% of your donation goes directly to the nonprofit.

Upload a photo: upload a photo of you on your bike or any other photo.

Create Fundraiser!

Last edited:

benphyr

Guru-me-not
Up to 32 now.

@LarryOz on top of the leaderboard. Will he remain there for the whole challenge? Who knows? However I do know that I won’t be catching up.

LarryOz

@LarryOz on top of the leaderboard. Will he remain there for the whole challenge? Who knows? However I do know that I won’t be catching up.
I am just using the Strava club and data to help me collect the weekly data.
Our challenge does not start until this next Monday - May 3.
The challenge is not to get the most miles in the time - just to ride 3000 Miles in 26 weeks.
Sure - At my current pace: I might make it to 3000 miles in 3 weeks, but that just means I can take the next 23 weeks easy! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Anyone who completes 3000 miles or more in the 26 weeks will be given a Cruzbike…
I got excited reading that statement (above). Thanks, Larry, for another challenge, and for making it easy to do.

I like having additional motivation to ride and get training miles. America By Bicycle recommends 500 miles every month to be prepared for their “Ride the West” tour, so this challenge will be helpful.

I also joined the local group - Columbus Outdoor Pursuits’ challenge. They say: “Miles turn into smiles on two wheels. Can you complete the number of miles in 2021 that it would take to complete the Great American Rail-Trail? This trail is in the works and once finished, it will cross 3,700 miles through the United States and use a large segment of the Ohio to Erie Trail. Learn more about the Ohio to Erie Trail at www.ohiotoerietrail.org.
Learn more about the Great American Rail-Trail here - https://www.railstotrails.org/greatamericanrailtrail/
Unfortunately only nine others joined in and it requires using ridewithgps recording and tagging each ride with a hashtag. I don’t know how much work I want to put into it.

There’s an annual charity ride to raise money for cancer research I may do again. Pelotonia requires a minimum commitment ($1,250 to $3,000 guaranteed by your credit card) to participate. It’s very fun and for a great cause.

There’s no chance I’ll meet the double or triple century categories.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
The important part is
....................................................... .....................................................................................................................................................................can...................................................! :rolleyes:

:p

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
I should have been more clear "The important part of this post..." The last "can" in Larry's post with the purple emoji. We all know Larry isn't going to take the 23 weeks off lol.

But yes. Joking aside, donations for the research is the most important part of the ride.

Last edited:

LarryOz

A reminder to everyone: The actually tally of miles starts tomorrow - May 3. We now have 34 members! Fantastic - I would love to see 100!
Click this link to join the Strava Club: https://www.strava.com/clubs/Cruzbike-3000-Mile-Challenge-2021

Technically you will not really have to join the Strava Club until the end of next week (Sun, May 9) because the program will still pick up all the miles you log into Strava starting on Monday (retroactively) - but of course you still need to ride the miles and upload to Strava.

If anyone needs any personal assistance (no, I won't ride your Cruzbike for you :rolleyes:- well, maybe I will if you come visit me in Hilton Head Island :D) , please feel free to email directly at larryoslund@gmail.con

jond

Zen MBB Master
Meanwhile downunda it’s raining again. I can’t face the kickr again.......can I. Nah.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Got lucky with the weather today in Tokyo. It rained just enough to cool things down without saturating everything.

Attachments

• IMG_9763.JPG
    IMG_9763.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 13

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
For today, my mileage should be only 157km which was on the iPhone app. The other ride of 74 today is part of the 157, but that was recorded on my Wahoo Bolt and the battery died. I was simply going to delete it, but there were several Top 10s recorded on the Wahoo but not listed on the results of the iPhone app. I am not sure why it isn't listing the Top 10s on the iPhone app but they are on the Wahoo (74km) upload.

LarryOz

For today, my mileage should be only 157km which was on the iPhone app. The other ride of 74 today is part of the 157, but that was recorded on my Wahoo Bolt and the battery died. I was simply going to delete it, but there were several Top 10s recorded on the Wahoo but not listed on the results of the iPhone app. I am not sure why it isn't listing the Top 10s on the iPhone app but they are on the Wahoo (74km) upload.
Please send me an email next Sunday if you are unable to get it straightened out of your end - I am hoping to not have to modify any numbers coming in from Strava - you might be able to make it private and it might not tally in the Club stats.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Thanks Larry, that worked. For those wondering, if you record an activity on 2 devices and only 1 of them shows a KOM or Top 10, you can make the activity private on the 1 that shows the KOM or Top 10 and it will still appear on the leaderboard.

LarryOz

Thanks Larry, that worked. For those wondering, if you record an activity on 2 devices and only 1 of them shows a KOM or Top 10, you can make the activity private on the 1 that shows the KOM or Top 10 and it will still appear on the leaderboard.
I still can't figure out how you did not get the same Top 10 on both rides, unless one of the rides somehow missed recoprding your position during it - then it might not pick it up. You might also be able to do "Refresh Activity Achievments" and see if that helps. Click the 3 dots "..." = then select "Refresh Activity Acheivements" - It will take a while but it relooks for all your segments of you ride.
Refresh activities.JPG

LarryOz

We have 62 people in this challenge now - wow - I will tabulate the 1st Mon-Sun week tomorrow morning and post it here and in the club message board.
Right now 31 people have posted over 100 miles last week - Awesome!