Cruzbike C.G. or Weight Distribution

manac

What’s the normal weight distribution on a Cruzbike T50?
Is traction an issue on a steep climb?
It seems like the bike is setup front heavy.

I‘m putting a CF seat on a T50 project and can play with the C.G. if needed.

Thanks.

billyk

Guru
Yeah, traction is an issue on a steep climb. When you're tilted back, the weight shifts to the rear wheel (which is doing nothing except holding your butt off the ground). The front wheel becomes unweighted. You lose traction and the front wheel can spin on a steep hill. Then you're walking.

This is unfortunately inherent to FWD, and is the major weakness of the design. Other really good things balance that for me, but it's there.

We have hills around here (seattle) that I can't climb, especially in the rain (we have rain!) or with a bit of sand or gravel.

CuHead

I've got an old old Silvio 1.0 and I've had a little wheel spin on the GW Bike Trail that runs along the Potomac river. There is a double switchback climbing out of a small ravine not far from Fort Hunt (https://www.nps.gov/articles/600177.htm#4/34.45/-98.53) and when I was a newbie I had to walk the uphill portion once or twice. Continental Gatorskins have good grip on pavement, but mix in some leaves and it's a different situation. I'm putting a new chain, cogset, shift cable, and tires on my Silvio and it should be back on the road soon. Good luck with your seat install. I've got so many miles on this Silvio that I'm thinking of putting some camping 'sleep pad' foam under the seat cover to provide more support.

CoolBreeze

I have a 2017 T50 and a 2016 S30 and I’ve realised that the best position for the seat is as far forward as possible. This puts more weight on the driving wheel, which is good. It also brings your hips closer to the steering axis, something not easy to appreciate until you’re actually riding. After enough practice and miles, having your hips close to the steering axis makes it easier to learn how to steer with your legs, relax your hand grip, and makes handling more intuitive. Of course that assumes that you’re able to extend the bottom bracket out enough to suit your inseam.

manac

Thanks for all the insights, they help. I’ve mounted the seat way forward and am working on the slider setup. Right now I have the chainstay, fork angle is greater than 90 degrees. I’ll post pictures when she’s presentable.

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
There is no hill I have really "slipped" on that I could also climb up on a RWD without the rear end washing out anyway - or that I couldn't actually climb because the particular bike I was on wasn't a good climber to begin with - so IMO the slippage on a hill is a moot argument for clean dry riding conditions with good tries that have grip. On slippery surfaces I much prefer the have my front slip and I can torque through it or just stop. On a RWD when the rear slips (on gravel, sand) you are likely going to be laying on your side.

Last edited:

CuHead

Switchbacks; uphill Silvio will slip first and downhill Silvio will grip best. Maybe some slipNgrip competitions? Uphill and downhill? I like my Cruzbike, and I put about 8K miles on it last year. Any engineering students with some fresh static or dynamic analysis of CruzBike vs RWD riding uphill, or is it too close to graduation?