Cruzbike Fast Freight

RogerSarrasin

Hi, this is not a question, maybe it is an answer... John, if you want more details on this first CFF (Cruzbike Fast Freight), I will be my pleasure to give you them. Ok the CFF looks a bit weird at first look but I can say it is effective and very parctical !

RogerSarrasin

CFF: Cruzbike Fast Freight

Ok, now I attach the right image and size format of the CFF. Weird at fisrt look, but it really works ! Ventisit for seat, Shimano 48/24, 700x25c and 20x1.5 Schwalbe Marathon. Head-back is in "T" format to attach a back pcak on it. It is my 3rd Cruzbike and this one combines practical commuter needs with confort and good speed on long distances.

Joe Martin

Hey Roger, that's very cool

Hey Roger, that's very cool looking and I can see how it coulb be a great town bike you could attach an extra large basket onto for grocery runs, etc.
thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif

bhave

CFF commentary

Roger, I really like your design! I'm now on my 6th iteration with the conversion kit. Some parts have worn out and I have had to order replacements. I commute everyday, all year round and am constanly making modifications and tweaks to my setup. I've noticed that my conversion is very heavy, despite using better-quality components. I think the front suspension is to blame. I have considered going to a 700-compatible rigid fork. Your CFF combines all of the modifications I have been considering for my next conversion iteration. Kudos! How does it do on long rides with a load?

RogerSarrasin

CFF Commentary

Hi B, 6 iterations ? Great !! The CFF rides well on long stretches and at low speed, it turns quick. I had to use a internal hub break in the rear wheel because the VK2 frame had no disk brake attachment nor ajustable V-brake pegs for use with variable diameter wheels (like 24" or 20"). The result is a total rear wheel weighting 5 pounds for a total CFF pound of 32 pounds. I would suggest that Cruzbike installs ajustable V-brake pegs for different wheel sizes on their already very good VK2 frame. That would saved at least 2 pounds on the actual configuration. Nonetheless, I upgrade it last year with a fairing that gives a bit more easy pace and partial cold + rain protection. I'm eager to see your next version !

RogerSarrasin

Long rides with load

I use this design especially for commute with 10-15 pounds load (lunch, water, tools, raincoat. lock, etc.). Since the career is my backpack then the suspended factor is not to much affected. On the other hand, a rigid case well attached would cancel any suspension I guess. Any load affects climbing on any bike, so for the CFF. But long rides gets a slight aerodynamic advantage on facing winds compared with side panniers. I prefer the backpack for it is more practical than side packs eg when you park somewhere and have to get to store or to work on public transit etc. A waterproof one is preferred in a rainy region, I upgrade my old one a few weeks ago.