Cruzbike maintenance

rdl03

I have a wall mounted traditional bike repair stand. It sort of works for the front end if I clamp the tube between the handlebars and crank. Today I needed to make an adjustment on the rear brake, and that approach didn't work at all.
Has anyone come up with a good solution to support the bike for maintenance / repairs? (I clean my drivetrain every 200K, so this is not a "once in a great while" issue for me.)

Parker135

I had the same question when I got my first recumbent. As suggested on a other site, four screw eyes in my garage ceiling work great. I use motorcycle tie-downs to hook under the bars and in my case, the rear rack.

rdl03

I had the same question when I got my first recumbent. As suggested on a other site, four screw eyes in my garage ceiling work great. I use motorcycle tie-downs to hook under the bars and in my case, the rear rack.
Thanks for the suggesion. Reminded me that I somehow came in possession of some hardware actually designed for storing bikes in the upper part of the garage, which would make that approach even easier.

rdl03

Is your wall mounted clamp adjustable for tilt? I use just a regular stand clamped on the boom/slider with the back end hanging down a bit but rear wheel off the ground. Works perfect.
Mine is adjustable. I'll play with it a bit more, and see if I can get a usable position for the bike.

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
I have a wall mounted traditional bike repair stand. It sort of works for the front end if I clamp the tube between the handlebars and crank. Today I needed to make an adjustment on the rear brake, and that approach didn't work at all.
Has anyone come up with a good solution to support the bike for maintenance / repairs? (I clean my drivetrain every 200K, so this is not a "once in a great while" issue for me.)
I normally just clamp my V20 in an old fluid trainer. That works for most maintenance and repairs. I can also sit on the bike and pedal when needed for testing. If the fluid trainer is not sufficient for the task, I clamp the boom in my freestanding bike stand.

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
Wax your chain, and you won't need to do as much maintenance :)

rdl03

More seriously, I just raise the height of the bike in the stand until the wheel I want to work on is off the ground.
Unfortunately, my bike stand is wall mounted, and doesn't have any vertical adjustability.
The Cruzbike is in the stand at the moment. the rear wheel is too low to work with comfortably, but the drivetrain is at the right height.

rdl03

You could buy a cheap two-foot wood barstool (or something like that) to set the rear wheel on to raise it off the ground.
I was thinking more a hanging strap, but yes, I need to get the rear wheel off the ground, both to have access to it, and to have the drivetrain horizontal for when I'm working on and cleaning it.

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
What stand is it?
My stand has a knuckle that allows you to rotate the bike, which you can clamp, for instance, so what to do depends on what the stand can (or can't) do!

rdl03

What stand is it?
My stand has a knuckle that allows you to rotate the bike, which you can clamp, for instance, so what to do depends on what the stand can (or can't) do!
Mine has the ability to rotate and lock into position. which is done with small interlocking plastic teeth. The mount from the stand to the wall is something I "put together", and doesn't do well with the Cruzbike in the air and rotated enough for the drivetrain to be horizontal.
Some support for the rear end will solve that.

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
Have you considered the low-tech solution of putting weight on the front-end, to balance the bike better for your stand? :)