Cruzbike Naming Conventions

Just getting into Cruzbikes and I'm trying to understand the naming conventions on some of the most recent models. From the little perspective I have on Cruzbikes, it seems like there's some patterns these names follow

V20 - "V"endetta (seat at 20 degrees)
S30 - seat at 30 degrees (unsure of what the "S" stands for)
S40 - seat at 40 degrees (unsure of what the "S" stands for)
Q45 - "Q"uest (seat at 45 degrees)
T50 - seat at 50 degree angle? (unsure of what "T" stands for)
QX100 - "Q"uest (unsure what the 100 implies)
Q559 - "Q"uest (unsure of what 559 implies)

I'm excited to be picking up my first (second hand) Cruzbike later this week, a second hand Q559, and I'd love to know a little more about the various naming systems. Feel free to fill in some of these gaps for me, or even add models that I might have missed.

Also, if anyone can point me to more of a historical listing of Cruzbike models that lists what years models were offered and maybe even components for those specific years, I'd love to see that

thx in advance

Always-Learnin

Vendetta Love
Welcome to the "Tribe" as we like to call ourseves!

The "S" models started with the Silvio 1.0, hence the "S". There was a 1.5, 2.0, etc., until the name drop/change to S30/40. The Silvio 2.0 series had a 27 degree seat angle. The S30 a 33 degree seat angle (I believe) and the S 40, well, a 40 degree seat angle. ;-) The Vendetta series started out with the 1.0, 2.0, and then I believe dropped the full name and went with the "V" designation after that. Others may have more and better info. :)

jond

Zen MBB Master
Welcome to the "Tribe" as we like to call ourseves!

The "S" models started with the Silvio 1.0, hence the "S". There was a 1.5, 2.0, etc., until the name drop/change to S30/40. The Silvio 2.0 series had a 27 degree seat angle. The S30 a 33 degree seat angle (I believe) and the S 40, well, a 40 degree seat angle. ;-) The Vendetta series started out with the 1.0, 2.0, and then I believe dropped the full name and went with the "V" designation after that. Others may have more and better info. :)

your answer mostly resides in a simple total forum search. Type “history” into the search bar. You’ll see larry o is putting together a museum amongst other interstellar posts. Australia is downunda after all. ;). Missing is the “sigma” John Tolhurst S rwd bike from Larry’s list. But it’s pictured in the sofrider post. Note spelling larry lol.

The Q559 I had used a 559 wheel size. I no longer have this bike but have a S2.0 and an S30. Welcome to the tribe. Enjoy your ride.

aaahhh... that makes sense... to be honest, I'd never heard of a 559 wheel size before. I had to look it up and basically discovered it's pretty much the same size as a 26" wheel.

your answer mostly resides in a simple total forum search. Type “history” into the search bar. You’ll see larry o is putting together a museum amongst other interstellar posts. Australia is downunda after all. ;). Missing is the “sigma” John Tolhurst S rwd bike from Larry’s list. But it’s pictured in the sofrider post. Note spelling larry lol.

Will Definitely check out Larry's list.
thx

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
Just getting into Cruzbikes and I'm trying to understand the naming conventions on some of the most recent models.

Original models were Sofrider (no "T", to help differentiate from Softride beam bicycles) and Freerider. I think the difference there was mostly the handlebars. There was also, following that, a V2K frameset of similar style that you could move your existing 26" MTB wheels and components to.

S came from Silvio. Not sure where Silvio came from. Have seen unsubstantiated claims in the old forum messages of its being an acronym for "Speed Is Lovely, Velocity Is Orgasmic" :D.

Q came from Quest, which superseded the Sofrider/Freerider. Other recumbent and velomobile brands have also used Quest as a model name. Besides the 559, there was also a 451 (a 20" wheel size, more or less) with a shorter fork and chainstay, promoted as a foldable bike that would fit in a standard suitcase. No idea what, if anything, X100 stands for.

V came from Vendetta, perfect for a laid-back racing bike out to prove itself.

T came along after the naming scheme had gone to letter + seat angle. Seems like a Trainer (or Tester, or Tinkering) bike to me, but I've never heard anything official on what the T means.

The short-lived Sigma came from the Island of Misfit Toys :p. It was a rear-wheel-drive CLWB recumbent, with a U-joint as part of the steering setup.

kidneyboy

Before all of the bikes there was the Cruzbike conversion kit. The bike in my avatar was designed around a kit and built by me back in the early or mid 2000s. Had a few conversations with Tolhurst during that time.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
Always-Learnin said:
The Silvio 2.0 series had a 27 degree seat angle. The S30 a 33 degree seat angle (I believe) and the S 40, well, a 40 degree seat angle. ;-)
I did not know that and I never actually noticed. Now I know why the S40 feels different from the Silvio. Now I know why I do not need a headrest. I am always learning.