Cruzbike Recumbents Vs Other Recumbents

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
The, "standard bike V. recumbent thread" is interesting and fun, but it's mostly about apples V. oranges.

My contribution is, I think, at least as interesting:
Cruzbike recumbents are, in my experience, superior to other recumbents.

I know, Cruzbike makes recumbents and only recumbents, but it's
fun for me to stuff the word, 'recumbent' as many times as possible into a
recumbent post in a recumbent thread on a recumbent manufacturer's recumbent forum.
-I'm easily amused....

So anyway, a few years back, I passed a well-worn long wheelbase recumbent
on the flat like it was standing still;

-then on another ride, passed what looked like a V-Rex going uphill, again leaving it like it
was standing still;

-yet another ride, going up a long, winding country road, I passed a recumbent trike.
The trike was inching along at a walking pace as I -comparatively- flew past;

-much more recently, I easily caught up to a gleaming Lightning P-38 and rode with
it's rider for a few slow miles, before we started climbing a short, steep hill.
The P-38 rapidly slowed... the rider spinning his cranks like mad. I waved my goodbye,
sprinted up to a decent climbing speed and left the vaunted climbing machine, the feared P-38,
in my wake... and never saw it again.

On the other hand, I rode with a Bachetta I'd caught up with which was actually faster
than my hot-rodded V-1 Sofrider on both downhills and the flats!
On the other hand, when we were climbing, my bike was much, much quicker than the Bachetta,
which allowed me to stay with him, comfortably.

The Sofrider is quicker uphill than any other recumbent I've ever shared the road with.
With me riding it, my Sofrider is as fast uphill as the average D.F. bike.
Club racers, on the other hand, leave me in their dust.

So, on average, what would beat my Sofrider uphill?
-Another Cruzbike....

-Steve

My Vendetta recumbent with me

My Vendetta recumbent with me on it might be able to climb faster than you on your modified Sofrider recumbent?
Seriously my Sofrider recumbent climbs well but can't match the Vendetta recumbent when it comes to climbing.
I know you have modified your Sofrider recumbent so it probably out climbs my Sofrider recumbent which is stock.

The Vendetta recumbent is the first recumbent I can easily climb at the same speed as club riders on longer club rides.
Earlier I struggled to keep up and often didn't keep up on the climbs.
The other recumbents I have used on club rides are a Phantom from Lightning probably slower than a P-38, an Agenda from Performer and my Sofrider.

Among club riders some are faster then others up hills.
My climbing goal is to climb as fast as a club rider I think I have reached that goal.

On my last club ride on the steepest climb I held the same pace as the other 8 riders.
Some of the elite riders could have ridden faster I could also have ridden faster up the steepest hill.
I probably wouldn't have been able to keep up with the elite riders if they went as fast as they could on this hill.

Some of the club riders in this group wouldn't have been able to climb faster on this hill.
So what also matters is the fitness level of the rider.

There are other fast carbon recumbents that climb well I haven't tried any of them.
The Vendetta is the fastest climbing recumbent I have been on.
The Vendetta recumbent isn't just a good climbing recumbent it's also much faster than a stock Sofrider recumbent on the flat sections.

Do you have any plans of getting a Vendetta recumbent and test the climbing ability compared to your modified Sofrider recumbent?

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Future Bike:

I was hoping that you would write about your experiences on RWD recumbents, Mr. Torgersen.

As for my future bike?
I'm very lucky to be able to afford the parts that keep my Sofrider on the road:
I cannot afford any Vendetta, let alone any other bike.

Perhaps some decent, used road bike will come my way.
You know, so that I can cut it up and then reassemble it into a custom-fitted
Vendetta clone!

Of course you can out-climb me on your Vendetta, Mr. Torgersen.
After all, not only am I ancient -59- but my right leg has less muscle mass
than my left, due to an old injury.

I will say that, when I'm racing around on my 18 degree reclined seat,
climbing hills seems easier;
my bike computer agrees.
On the other hand, riding around on my 33 degree reclined seat keeps
me cooler in the Summer heat.
With my torso cooled by the slipstream, I ride cooler... slower, but cooler.

wink_smile.gif

-Steve

My RWD recumbents are slower

My RWD recumbents are slower than the Vendetta climbing and that also goes for my Sofrider.

I did make an experiment with a full fairing on my Phantom that was fast on the flats if there wasn't too much side wind.
But climbing with the extra weight was usually slower except the very few times when the wind was favorable I did sometimes climb very fast because it was like sailing and pedaling at the same time.

I will soon be 57 years old I have limited time for training and I'm not as fit as an elite rider.
I enjoy riding and being able to out ride many club members.

The Vendetta is a better climber than I had expected and not many can out ride me on the flat sections.
What impresses me most about the Vendetta is the speed I'm able to keep up on the hills which aren't steep I can keep going in a higher gear than on any other recumbent I have tried.

The price of the Vendetta isn't cheap I'm lucky I have a day job and I sell recumbents RWD, trikes and Cruzbike models.
Steve you are a skilled man and it wouldn't surprise me if you made a custom Vendetta some day.

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
My experience

I owned a Vision R-40 which was a capable little bike and a decent climber and I owned a Sun EZ Speedster CX which was fun to ride but slow no matter what the terrain. I also have ridden a P-38 which was a phenomenal climber and had a couple weeks getting used to a Sofrider. Now I am fortunate to have a Silvio 1.0 which is an amazing bike. I would love to go back and compare it to the P-38; I have a feeling the Silvio would be the better climber.

Now all this hearing about how well the Vendetta climbs makes me want to try one of those for an extended test ride. If only I had a shop like Spin Cyclz near me.

I will say that the Silvio lets me easily keep up the pace with my roadie riding partners and it is much faster than a TT/Tri bike on climbs.

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Interesting...

In 2002 I bought a Vision R40 OSS that I was quite proud of.

In August of 2005 I built my first Cruzbike conversion (the original steel kit shipped out of Australia) on a steel ATB I bought from Toys R Us for $50USD.

The conversion weighed just shy of 50lbs, the R40 weighed 33lbs.

The conversion outclimbed the R40 by a whole chainring. By straight ratio calculations, this was a 14% improvement, in spite of the weight difference. This was when I realized John was on to something big.

The Silvio 2.0 was another revelation. Even with my motor, it accelerates like it was shot out of a cannon.

One of the coolest things about the conversion kit is, if you pay careful attention to what John has done to the bike designs over time, you can mix, match and combine parts of different bikes with the conversion kit and get close to what John has accomplished, regardless of your budget.

The concept is that powerful.

As well as these bikes work, John says that he's still making major advances with each new model.

Pretty cool, I think.

Kim Tolhurst

oh

And I still have 001 of the steel conversion kit Australian made, yes on a Toys Are Us MTB. $149.oo

It was so fun and could not keep off it. My 3 youngest teenage children rode it and we soon got another.

The encouragement John T got from buyers of those kits was marvellous and his mother to press on, yes, we still cannot keep off what he comes up with.

'if you don't cruz it you loose it".

cheers,

Kim

hamishbarker

Regarding doug's comment

Regarding doug's comment about mix and match, is it possible to buy one of the sofrider suspension forks on its own?

Nanda Holz

Having even the non-suspended

Having even the non-suspended fork as a purchase option with the conversion kit or by itself would be great, also allowing disc brakes, or upgrading older Quest/Sofriders to the rigid fork if desired.

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Front Triangle; Power Transmission

Thanks, Mr. Burton and thank you, Mr. Holz!

?My personal experience in the recumbent bicycle world is limited to my bike,
a Sofrider V1, the only recumbent that I've ever ridden.

Ironically, or maybe fortunately, my experience as a motorcycle test rider
gave me an appreciation for well-designed single-track vehicles,
so, I guess that I chose well when I bought my Cruzbike.

When I sprint up the local short, sharp, steep hills, I can actually
watch my TFT -Telescoping Front Tube- flex, in concert with the torquing
steerer tube.

That's why the Silvio has a TFT that connects the handlebars directly to
the bottom bracket. The Silvio's TFT is a straight, effectively unbroken tube.
The relatively small diameter TFT can twist torsionally a little though....

-Which is why the Vendetta has such a large-diameter TFT!
I'd like to see how much it twists -or, how little- under human power.

Then there's the incremental, but crucial, design of the chain stays on both
of the new-generation Silvio and Vendetta:
they bolt onto the ends of the bottom bracket, fully supporting it.

I have had a, 'Final Solution' in mind for my Sofrider's front end for some time,
but for now... I'm happy being the owner of the most efficient climbing
recumbent in my neighbourhood.

So, you think Mr. Tolhurst did a good job?
Is he, at this moment, having a difficult time wiping off the silly grin on his face?
I do and I hope so.
shades_smile.gif

-Steve

rrward

Like Doug I had a Vision R40,

Like Doug I had a Vision R40, a 1997 R40 EU (20" front tire, short wheelbase, underseat stearing). Very plush ride, even for an unsuspended bike. Faster than all getout on the downhill. Slower than dirt on the uphill. I ended up modding the crap out of that bike: tried a fairing, the wind here nixed that idea, lowered the seat, put on Magura hydraulic rim brakes, SPD pedals, etc...

I haven't managed to get the hang of my Sofider so I can't say how they compare.

Trevski

Sofrider V Sigma

I picked up the last Sigma available in Perth from John a couple of weeks ago. It's very comfortable, considering it's an unsuspended bike - the front wheel way out there takes a lot of the shock out of bumps compared to my Sofrider, even with it's 40mm of front suspension. I can say that for me, the Sofrider is by far the better climber - on short hills I can go anaerobic and just about lift myself out of the seat with the one-leg-other-arm action going on. Even staying aerobic, I'd say I'm quicker on the Sofrider...love to try a V!! The only bad thing about buying the Sigma is that after going for a couple of short rides on it, I jumped on the Sofrider and fell straight back off! It took me a good 10 minutes to reacclimatize to the MBB design, something riding DF's has never done to me.

Cheers,
Trev

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
 .. ?after going for a couple

.. ?after going for a couple of short rides on it, I jumped on the Sofrider and fell straight back off! ..

ha ha ha!

It's an amusing reality.

Trevski

.. ?after going for a couple

Didn't get a single 'Cool Bike!' comment either...Sigma's obviously much too conventional
teeth_smile.gif

chrisblessing

I'm with Doug...

As a former owner of the R40 and Actionbent Jetstream, and builder of a long-wheel base recumbent, I whole-heartedly agree with Doug on this. I spent hours staring at images of the various iterations of Cruzbikes and conversions before selecting the frame and components used to build my conversion. I paid attention John's design features that made it across the various iterations of his bike, and incorporated them into my bike. As a consequence I managed to assemble something that appears to work like, and perhaps as well as, the built Cruzbikes, but with other features that I chose to build into mine.

BentBierz

Trevski said:I? jumped on

Trevski said:
I? jumped on the Sofrider and fell straight back off! It took me a good 10 minutes to reacclimatize to the MBB design, something riding DF's has never done to me.
Does this mean that once I have my Silvio 2.0 up and running and I have mastered the MBB format (fingers crossed), I am destined to sell off all my other 2 wheel recumbents for fear that splitting riding time with them will cause a regression of MBB riding skills?

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Maybe sell them all off for

Maybe sell them all off for lack of interest because riding your Silvio is so much fun?

tongue_smile.gif

-Eric

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
I sometimes ride my

I sometimes ride my conversion-kit and sometimes my Grasshopper. I can switch easily. However, a few months ago, I got on someone's DF racer and immediately fell off.

Actually, I think that the main problem I have with the conversion-kit is that the seat is a lot higher than the Grasshopper, so riding it seems wobbly. I think that the difference in seat-height is the most important thing when you change bikes, because the seat-height effects the way the bike leans. I will test this scientifically by getting the Silvio, whose seat is slightly lower than the Grasshopper's.