Cruzbike TT Inscription message

benphyr

Guru-me-not
Participants in the Cruzbike TT will get a medallion to honour their participation this year provided by Cruzbike! Pretty incredible considering there is no registration fee, Larry has done all the work voluntarily, etc.

As per Larry's message "It will be inscribed with your name, date, and some significant data point (be it categories you won, or something else of note)"

Larry, would you want us to choose what we would prefer as the significant data point? Or would that just cause you more headaches?

I'm sure that there are restrictions of numbers of characters and such ...

But my brain can't stop so here is a mind exercise rather than what to put on the medal however I had great fun playing with words when I first heard about the possibility of inscriptions and I would love to hear what you come up with. Sometimes the hive mind produces some things that would otherwise be missed. Sometimes we get to exercise the brain with a fun activity for those of us with creative minds or stretch our warped sense of humour (me).

So, fire away with what it could be said on the reverse side of the medal or what a tagline for this ride / competition could be. I'll start it off with several things I came up with:

benphyr

Guru-me-not
# weeks in a row.

Coronavirus challenge

Cruzbike Comfort and Joy

Pain, Gain 2020

# km/h Average speed

Infamous for: xxxxxxxxxxxx

My excuses for being faster than the average car are:
I got stuck behind a (garbage truck, tractor, ... choose your own adventure)
The wind made me do it
Cross-wind manure spreader
next in queue is a bear / cougar /
Hot Hot Hot

I hit / almost ran over a deer / squirrel / rabbit / robin

Team High Speed

Team Low Drag

Team Moose Wannabee

Aero like Larry

Compete against yourself and win: Cruzbike TT

Cruzbike and friends, the TT

Does Cruzbike sell capes? Because a superhero just Cruzbiked by to save the world

trplay

Zen MBB Master
I love the new rule Larry has decided to implement for next year. That is to use ones PR from this year as the base time for next years start time. inscription "competed against yourself and lost".

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Participants in the Cruzbike TT will get a medallion to honour their participation this year provided by Cruzbike! Pretty incredible considering there is no registration fee, Larry has done all the work voluntarily, etc.

As per Larry's message "It will be inscribed with your name, date, and some significant data point (be it categories you won, or something else of note)"

Larry, would you want us to choose what we would prefer as the significant data point? Or would that just cause you more headaches?

I'm sure that there are restrictions of numbers of characters and such ...

But my brain can't stop so here is a mind exercise rather than what to put on the medal however I had great fun playing with words when I first heard about the possibility of inscriptions and I would love to hear what you come up with. Sometimes the hive mind produces some things that would otherwise be missed. Sometimes we get to exercise the brain with a fun activity for those of us with creative minds or stretch our warped sense of humour (me).

So, fire away with what it could be said on the reverse side of the medal or what a tagline for this ride / competition could be. I'll start it off with several things I came up with:
You can thank the generosity of Cruzbike for providing the Medallions!
Yes, I have volunteered the time - and have been happy to do it - It a passion of mine to bring everyone together like this. Although I did not realized how time consuming it would be to handle "so" many riders, send out all the emails, produce all the categories and lists, etc, etc). I spend more than 10 hours a week on this. Heck when this is over, I won't know what to do with all that free time! :eek: OH - yeah I will, I will ride my Cruzbike :rolleyes:o_O:rolleyes:o_O - more!

For the Medallions, if someone one won one or more of the categories I will list that, also possibly place in challenge up to 10 or 15. If none of those, I was going to pick something interesting that I thought was really cool about that person and what they accomplished during the challenge. ;)

LarryOz

I love the new rule Larry has decided to implement for next year. That is to use ones PR from this year as the base time for next years start time. inscription "competed against yourself and lost".
Haha - not that, but I do have lots of "cool" ideas for the next challenge - Will post that soon

trplay

Zen MBB Master
You can thank the generosity of Cruzbike for providing the Medallions!
Yes, I have volunteered the time - and have been happy to do it - It a passion of mine to bring everyone together like this.

Two things, yes Larry, you put in a lot of work and this does not go unappreciated. The other is how lucky we are to have the Cruzbike Organization we have. It's a whole lot more than just medallions. Their innovation truly stands out among the other companies. Don't forget they'll buy back your bike. They'll pay your entry fees for multiple day events, they offered to pay for the Mt Mitchel climb fee. The list is actually quite extensive. Go Cruzbike and Larry to.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
I’m changing all my fingers into thumbs - so I can give 10 thumbs up to Cruzbike, Larry, Henry, and all those that do everything in their power to benefit all of us.

Last edited:
Whilst we are in "Hive mind mode" can I also ask a favour/suggest an idea.

Can we make the distance 10 miles next year? finding a 12 mile course is really tricky round here, 2 miles makes all the difference in fitting something in with minimum potentially "bad" traffic interaction and a loop course.

LarryOz

Can we make the distance 10 miles next year? finding a 12 mile course is really tricky round here, 2 miles makes all the difference in fitting something in with minimum potentially "bad" traffic interaction and a loop course.
I will "add" that to my list of "possible changes for next year". Where I am at that would also make my route better, safer and faster not having to deal with 4 roundabouts between the first and last mile.
However, I was actually thinking since all you guys are doing so good with the 12-mile TT we should do a 100 Mile TT next (That is really my favorite distance) - you could do your 10 mile-loop 10 times - would that work?! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I will "add" that to my list of "possible changes for next year". Where I am at that would also make my route better, safer and faster not having to deal with 4 roundabouts between the first and last mile.
However, I was actually thinking since all you guys are doing so good with the 12-mile TT we should do a 100 Mile TT next (That is really my favorite distance) - you could do your 10 mile-loop 10 times - would that work?! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Only if I time it to miss the level crossing barriers coming down ten times, and manage to sort my back out to last 100miles, I'd be lucky to make 100km right now

Bill Wightman

I have found the perfect 12 mile out-and-back. The only thing it is missing is the banked velodrome turnaround at the halfway point. Those are very hard to find in Google Maps.

Had a look at a ten mile loop yesterday, a squashed quadrilateral with just two left turns on it both with good visibility. It's perfect as a ten, but could not be easily extended to 12, which is a pain.

Been thinking a bit more about this, what if we gavce more freedom for choice of distance, to allow people to emphahise safety over course selection? I really don't want to ride the main road that is my course this year, with increasing numbers of crazy drivers out there and a very close pass with a tractor yesterday (about a foot away from the rear wheel of a large tractor towing a grain trailer). It's really difficult to find a 12-mile course here that does not have to use or cross busy roads. The ten I looked at last week could be extended to 11 for example, but to make it a 12 would need a blind turn that from experience is not safe without coming to a complete halt, or crossing that point fom the start where I have regularly seen cars pulling out both left adn right from a staggered junction, again pretty unsafe without slowing.

So my proposal, based on the fact that Larry is already converting all of our times into secs for the rankings is this
- courses any where from 10-12 miles, 10 being a fairly standard TT length here in the UK.
- weekly rankings based on % change not absolute change vs PB, i.e. if you took 2000 secs last time, and shave off 20 secs that's a 1% gain.

This way any advantage or gain in ability to make absolute gains with course length or design will be normalised out, and the integrity of the rest of the competition will be preserved and emphasising rider safety. We are not pro tdf riders here, just a bunch of weekend warriors having fun.

trplay

Zen MBB Master
May I suggest that those who live in areas such as ElyDaves where it's too dangerous to TT outside they consider the existing virtual option. It's not for everyone but it is safe and available.

May I suggest that we have flexibility, I'm not suggesting it's too dangerous to ride outside full stop. I'm being very clear that I can find loops of a certain length that I would consider safe enough, but not others. There is always a degree of risk with cycling, but I'm not willing to accept unlimited risk. Most audaxes I ride as an example are on back lanes but occaisionally need to use busier roads as transition points. I would suggest we need to trust people to get as close to 12 miles as possible, but also give them the benefit of being an adult and able to decide what level of risk they are willing to accept.

I'm also not willing to sign up to another subscription just for this purpose - I already pay for bigringVR for my indoor cycling, I'm not paying for Zwift as well.

Another option, if you don't like the idea of % for normalisation is to normalise the course to a defined distance, so if you are doing e.g. 11 miles, your time is multiplied by 12/11. Remember we are already allowing a degree of flexibility with Larry accepting courses of between 11.5 and 12.5 miles IIRC.