Cyclist suffers stroke caused by riding position.

Tuloose

Guru
The Dec/Jan issue of Adventure Cycling Magazine arrived yesterday and I was reading an article titled "A Stroke of Luck" by Gary Rushkin of Raleigh, NC. The article is about how he suffered a stroke in Michigan while riding solo cross country.
He was rescued by a passing state trooper and has made a good recovery after losing all control of his speech and the right side of his body.
Here is what grabbed my attention. I'll quote from the article.

"So what happened to me? An invisible injury. A tiny tear in the left carotid artery in my neck trapped blood flow causing a disruptive dam."

"The doctors speculate that the tear was caused by an unusual riding position I had developed to rest my hands that created undue strain on my neck."

This had me thinking of my long distance touring days on a diamond frame regular bike or tandem and how I was always shifting my hand position to gain a few moments of pain relief.
I wonder what hand position Gary was using that was the cause of his stroke and could this calamity have been avoided by riding a recumbent?

On another note I am happy to see that ads for the Cruzbike S40 are now appearing in Adventure Cycling.
The S40 is the bike most likely to appeal to touring cyclists.
I wonder how long before we see a test of the S40 in touring trim in the pages of Adventure Cycling?

Bruce Martin

I wonder how long before we see a test of the S40 in touring trim in the pages of Adventure Cycling?

Yes! An evaluation of the S40 would be great to see. I think it's an excellent choice. Mine is itching for a bike packing adventure and I'll share that experience when I do.

For a review of the Q45 see page 34-36 of the June 2018 issue. Enjoy quotes like:
“fits the bill.”
“Cruzbike has definitely stepped up its game”
“worth every penny”
“The Q45 is hands down my favorite Cruzbike to ride in ‘daily use’ situations.”
“Cruzbikes can climb!”
“performance exceeded my expectations.”

BTW, I'm jealous that I haven't received my copy of the newest edition.

Opik

Its important that you change body positions after some time. Naturally in sleep people change their postures as one posture for the whole sleep will block blood flow. I think even recumbents aren't immune, you need to and move your back and ass a bit after some minutes to have blood flowing again. The consequence isnt as harsh as a DF, but it is still there