DF Bike? Never again

After a year riding bents I decided to take one of my old DF bike out for a short blast. We're at my son's place at Brize Norton near Oxford (UK) cat sitting (even though I'm allergic to the furry monsters) so I took my old bike which I gave to him around the airfield and did around 13 miles... way less than half my daily ride on the S40... My neck and undercarriage were in pieces

Thank goodness I made the switch to bents :)

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Yes.... you get spoilt... but don't go too bent crazy... you need vibration and torment to keep your bones strong. A good mix of mountain biking with bent riding works. As you well know seat bones ache like crazy if you haven't been on the saddle for a month.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
I hear ya Steve. I haven't ridden my Litespeed T1 with a TT cockpit since early January and I am not missing it at all. Even that time was painful for the short time I rode it. As a matter of fact I am thinking of selling it as it is, and throw in the road bike bars and shifters. It is a lovely bike, but after 1.5-2 hours I feel like I've been kicked by a herd of donkeys. I'd rather ride my V20 and maybe get osteoporosis instead of riding my T1 anymore DavidCH :p

DavidCH

I could make it faster by chopping off the drops and adding bar ends so my hands would be in the wind shadow of my legs. But that sounds a bit over the top or does it...?

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
Downward pointing bar-ends poke your thighs when you go round corners. Okay for the track, but awful for commuting. Even worse if you have a bar-end shifter.

DavidCH

It's probably worth trying when the v20 comes out with the viscous damping headset. Otherwise it could end up with another cracked rib

After a year riding bents I decided to take one of my old DF bike out for a short blast. We're at my son's place at Brize Norton near Oxford (UK) cat sitting (even though I'm allergic to the furry monsters) so I took my old bike which I gave to him around the airfield and did around 13 miles... way less than half my daily ride on the S40... My neck and undercarriage were in pieces

Thank goodness I made the switch to bents :)
I did two laps of the same route this morning so around 23 miles in total ... The saddle contact point became unbearable towards the end. I'll have to invest in a new saddle for my son for next time I come down.. A decent Brooks saddle or something similar, the one that's on it (not my old one) is rock hard!

Or I need to find a way to bring the S40 and investigate bike racks

DavidCH

I have one of the lightest saddles, man has ever made. There isn't much cushioning. Anything more than 60km... I suffer. I understand the pain. Oddly enough if you have a tight enough skinsuit then the skinsuit actually supports the nether regions quite well, especially if the saddle is correctly angled. I wear a skinsuit too, more often on the v20, as I work out harder and need to cool down more. It's impossible to ride the v20 slow.... it never happens. It's not a sociable machine unless you get a bunch of them together then you can shout above the 70db of wind noise to each other