Drill Venting Holes in the Carbon Soles of you Shoes?

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I'm still a full on convert to the BOA based system's the stretch the shoe around the foot for a correct fit. Has to be tried to really understand. That makes me the apostle for the DMT R1, R3, M1, and M2. Cheapest carbon shoe you'll fine with the Boa systems. I haven't had hot foot in 2 years now since switching. R1/M1 for the sub 8 hours stuff and the R3,M2 for the long long stuff just because they have a little more give to prevent fatigue..... That RS1 looks pretty cool more reading required.

Reactions: Suz

Suz

The proper solution would be a damn shoe that isn't based off something a ballerina would wear

Agreed. I sometimes have this issue as well. More tingling for me than hot, but have hot feet as well. I found it interesting when I switched to the Ergon peddle and wore hiking sandles while testing out the peddles, my feet didn't tingle or get hot which could point to that skinny toe box you're referring to. Well to be honest (long story) I had one biking shoe on and one sandal, the foot with the biking shoe was tingling the foot with the sandal was not.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Ok that's it Suz has convinced me, I'm going to order these Ergon pedals so many of you love and buy some sports sandals for my 24hr race. I guess the only real question left is do I wear socks or no socks?

On a more serious note I did test the drilled shoe(only left is drill so far) and I could feel any noticeable airflow through the holes with the chilly morning air. An hour later I did notice my left foot was noticeably colder then my right so they do work it just isn't as noticeable as you'd think.

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
I guess the only real question left is do I wear socks or no socks?

On a more serious note I did test the drilled shoe(only left is drill so far) and I could feel any noticeable airflow through the holes with the chilly morning air. An hour later I did notice my left foot was noticeably colder then my right so they do work it just isn't as noticeable as you'd think.
Wear your regular wicking bike socks! Your feet will be cooler, the sun won't cook your skin and the straps of your sandals won't chafe.

Dan Fallon

I've owned several Cruzbikes. In fact, Maria completed RAAM 2013 on my Vendetta. But my interest in mid-sole shoes started out, like most of us, with painful hotfoot. I found enclosed toe shoes ALWAYS problematic (spent hundreds of dollars). I happened to have a pair of Shimano sandals at the start of RAW 2010 and, exercising doubtful judgment, I used them for the first time on that ultrarace. What a wonderful difference (but not perfect). Since that time I've experimented with at least seven pair of Shimano sandals, cutting them up, extending the velcro straps, etc.
At this point when I ride I have not a hint of hotfoot, have plenty of control over the power and pedal and can move my foot up or down to ease any discomfort -- which is essentially none. Here is a blog post I finally posted about how I've modified the sandals. In the very cold weather I simply wear warm socks and the occasional bootie. It ain't pretty ... but I'll never, ever go back to the closed toe shoes. https://psychling1.blogspot.com/2022/08/modified-sandals-spd.html

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Biking shoes are narrow; usually too narrow. Keep the toe box area as loose as possible. You heal need to be snug not your toes. Then see Dan's post.

Velocivixen

I wear an old pair of Shimano women’s “MT40” mountain bike shoes (lifestyle shoes more like). Option of adding cleats to the bottom if desired. They’re mostly nylon like fabric w/leather like at key areas. I’ve walked up to 11 miles in them so you might see if MTB casual shoes might also work. Could be a 2nd option for you.