Encouragement for Vendetta newbies

justbob20

I have had my V20 about 1 week, but monsoons set in for the greater part of that week, thereby limiting my practice on the new ride. Other than test riding a recumbent once, this is my first experience with the learning process. First of all, I played competitive sports in my younger days, and although elite at nothing, I have always been able to learn new skills without any doubt that I would. HOWEVER, after my first attempt on the new V20 " Vincent," I had immediate doubts and thinking what the hell have I bitten off in my old age?! Thanks to this forum and reading about others who have experienced like problems, I have been able to practice with some educated purpose. On the first couple attempts I looked like a stoned crackhead with vertigo! Biggest problems have been: starting, climbing, turning and stability, but after ride #3 in the hood, I have started to feel more at ease without overcompensating for my mistakes as well as my death grip hold on the bars. The noticeable downhill "wobble" is getting minimized with more relaxation as touted here, body mchanics for climbing improving, and turning by slight weight shift of the upper torso and looking into the turn seem to work for me. Anyway, the main purpose of this post is to thank the recumbent family for their informative posts and support, as well as to tell other Newbies to keep at it and I firmly believe that we will one day all be smooth riders.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Congrants Bob - Your story is like most of us!
Keep riding and getting better.
justlarry!

Robert O

If it's any help, I can vouch for the fact that you're not alone. I've been riding a RWD high racer for the past 2 1/2 years. I had about 13000 miles on that bike when my V20 frame came in at the beginning of December. My first week was a series of wobbles around the local school parking lot, and I didn't get the bike out for a real ride for a week. Now with a couple of hundred miles in, all of the riding mechanics are becoming reflex!

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
My best advice:

The V20 will take you faster than you have gone before - don't get in over your head. In my experience people learn to ride quickly and then start to exceed their limitations way too quickly going 25+ MPH without giving thought to the dynamics involved that are unlike being on ANY other bicycle.

Like climbing into the cockpit of a F1 car you cannot hit the gas to the floor right away without getting into trouble.

On fast descents you need to "wind up" carefully after you have been coasting. You cannot simply throw the hammer down haphazardly on the MBB. Learn at what speed you run out of gear and at what cadence you do it. Before winding back up pay attention to that and ease back into engaging the wheel.

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
Anyway, the main purpose of this post is to thank the recumbent family for their informative posts and support, as well as to tell other Newbies to keep at it and I firmly believe that we will one day all be smooth riders.
I now ride my V as smoothly as silk. But - I tried to shortcut the learning process from the first day and paid the price by crashing three times in my first two rides and then getting discouraged. I started to doubt myself and the possibility of ever riding a V. Then I stobbornly kept at it (thanks to others who went before me), put in the hours and the effort and the white knuckles, and gradually became as confident and smooth on my V as I am on an upright. Then I started riding in groups again, doing long distance again, climbing fast again, and riding fast again. All of this happened over the course of one season. Now there is no going back - I'm hooked.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
since most of the rest has been said I'm going to beat my drum on one point.

Go to the the parking, do your slow speed drills become zen with the bike at 2-4 mph get good at things that would be impossible at speeds over 10mph. When you can do that and do it well no matter what. You can then handle what happens randomly at speed; otherwise you'll be wrestling an anaconda and getting rid of the best bike you ever owned for the wrong reason. :)

Meat before pudding and all that rock and roll stuff.

Last edited:

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Go to the the parking, do your slow speed drills become zen with the bike at 2-4 mph get good at things that would be impossible at speeds over 10mph. When you can do that and do it well no matter what. You can then handle what happens randomly at speed; otherwise you'll be wrestling an anaconda and getting rid of the best bike you ever owned for the wrong reason. :)

Meat before pudding and all that rock and roll stuff.
I completely agree with Bob on this! One step at a time. Get good with step 1, then move to step 2, and so on.

LarryOz

Go to the the parking, do your slow speed drills become zen with the bike at 2-4 mph get good at things that would be impossible at speeds over 10mph. When you can do that and do it well no matter what. You can then handle what happens randomly at speed; otherwise you'll be wrestling an anaconda and getting rid of the best bike you ever owned for the wrong reason.
Maybe that's why I keep crashing? :(

LarryOz

Go to the the parking, do your slow speed drills become zen with the bike at 2-4 mph get good at things that would be impossible at speeds over 10mph. When you can do that and do it well no matter what. You can then handle what happens randomly at speed; otherwise you'll be wrestling an anaconda and getting rid of the best bike you ever owned for the wrong reason
Does it count if I "watch a video" of myself doing figure 8's, etc, whilst on my KICKR? I can turn the handlebars, but I can lean, like I am turning. Heck, I can even do it no hands! :)
(I'll just hold onto my "jungle vine" in case I fall)

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
If you fall off the trainer; even the regulars here will be surprised.
"If?"
A few weeks ago, I spun the cranks as hard and fast as I could. My eyes were clamped shut....
The garage floor was hard and cold.
The computer recorded a max. speed of fifty MPH. before I crashed.
Do not be surprised. It might happen again.

justbob20

UPDATE - about 50-60 practice miles in 5-6 mi increments as well as suggested drills, ie figure eights etc. I have to admit that I did have home made tube stabilizer for the figure of eight drills initially. I am running 50/34 - 11/36..... need more cowbell !!! This bike is like an amusement park ride, I am having a blast. Cant wait to get out on the open road!!!! Clip ins for the first time today, makes a noticable difference.
Happy Bob

pedlpadl

More encouragement. I got my V20 in the beginning of January and spent a couple of weeks building it out. The weather wasn't great, so I only got to practice a handful of times in January and February. I did the parking lot drills and struggled like most of us do. I was disappointed that it wasn't easy, but was determined to keep at it and I did. Eventually I felt safe enough to go on the road with cars, although I chose a stretch that was flat and had few cars. That was in March. I had problems with keeping a straight line, riding with one hand (you need to be able to signal turns at a minimum), starting on hills, etc. I did my first group ride in April and have done a couple since then. I did okay, but I spent the rides wrestling with the bike. So I went back to the parking lot and worked on relaxing and riding straight.

Yesterday I went on a ride with one of my DF friends. It was the first time that I felt really comfortable and wasn't fighting the bike. I was taking it easy so my friend could keep. Headwinds weren't really bothering me. I don't really see any drop off in my climbing, but then I was never a great climber. The bike is so fast down hill that I was routinely taking it easy on the top of the hills to let my friend catch up, and it used to be the other way around. When the ride was over, I felt refreshed, like I could go do it again. On my DF I always felt sore and tired. It took a while, but yesterday I fell in love with this bike. :) Very happy now that I took that leap of faith.