experiment # 4072

3bs

whereabouts unknown
okay so maybe i have not done that many, but it sounded like a good number.

the most recent experiment is a simple one that i had previously tried without brakes and only half way. you may remember that i out a 406 on the front of the t50. it was great fun and reminded me of my old sting ray.

well, this experiment is the next step, and one part of my packable CB thread. i put 406 front and rear on the t50.

so what's the point? well a few things.
first, i am a huge fan of mini velos. not folders like bromptons, etc. but full solid mini velos. folders are great and that is what this is headed to, but i really like the non folding classics. if you look around there are very few of what i would consider recumbent mini velos. even fewer fwd and as far as i know no mbb fwd. mini velos are urban bikes by their very nature, but they also have a very tricky sort of feel, which i find to be amusing. early mini velos were done on 348 wheelsets. they are super cool and goofy. the more modern mini velos are all on 451, which i think are really too big. hence my favorite the 406.

second, the t50 frame is the most simple of the CB frames, and is easily modified to the v20 steerset aka emiljay mod and its variants. It is also a frame that can take a thor seat pretty easily, and finally, i believe if i can get all of these mods done that i think it will easily take (such as going on a little diet too) it is also a good frame for a joint to make it fit in a suitable airline travel box in standard luggage size.

so here is the current before and after picture for just a wheel change. yes i have already cut down the rear seat stays and the front steer tube, but those were old experiments. with the new seat will come new rear stays, and the emiljay mod will come during the weigh loss clinic. yes, it will need a bigger front chainring, and more gears (it is currently a 1x8) and i will go to a faster tire. i could go to a carbon rim for more weight loss, but the velocity's are great.

how does it sit? the seat pan is a few inches lower. for anyone who is vertically challenged, or if you are a kid, this is the set up. i am telling you the 406 wheel on the t50 with no other mod is how kids can easily become cb riders.

how does it handle? i was hoping for mini velo twitchiness, and what i got was stingray tossability. since the overall height went down, the cg went down. mini velos have a high cg, also putting your foot down is super easy. acceleration is kind of funny, as it was a little slick so i could do burn outs. turns easy starts easy, stops easy. the only thing i did notice is that it does not have the forward rolling force that a big pair of rotating wheels will generate.

great fun. really a viable version of the bike with just a wheel change. other changes to come, but but again i stress, this is a great way to start a kid on a CB...... and we are just around the corner for christmas...

https://cruzbike.com/products/t50

https://cruzbike.com/collections/warehouse-clearance

Attachments

• t50 w 406.jpg
    t50 w 406.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 114
  • t50 with 559.jpg
    t50 with 559.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 113
Last edited:

super slim

Zen MBB Master
okay so maybe i have not done that many, but it sounded like a good number.

the most recent experiment is a simple one that i had previously tried without brakes and only half way. you may remember that i out a 406 on the front of the t50. it was great fun and reminded me of my old sting ray.

well, this experiment is the next step, and one part of my packable CB thread. i put 406 front and rear on the t50.

so what's the point? well a few things.
first, i am a huge fan of mini velos. not folders like bromptons, etc. but full solid mini velos. folders are great and that is what this is headed to, but i really like the non folding classics. if you look around there are very few of what i would consider recumbent mini velos. even fewer fwd and as far as i know no mbb fwd. mini velos are urban bikes by their very nature, but they also have a very tricky sort of feel, which i find to be amusing. early mini velos were done on 348 wheelsets. they are super cool and goofy. the more modern mini velos are all on 451, which i think are really too big. hence my favorite the 406.

second, the t50 frame is the most simple of the CB frames, and is easily modified to the v20 steerset aka emiljay mod and its variants. It is also a frame that can take a thor seat pretty easily, and finally, i believe if i can get all of these mods done that i think it will easily take (such as going on a little diet too) it is also a good frame for a joint to make it fit in a suitable airline travel box in standard luggage size.

so here is the current before and after picture for just a wheel change. yes i have already cut down the rear seat stays and the front steer tube, but those were old experiments. with the new seat will come new rear stays, and the emiljay mod will come during the weigh loss clinic. yes, it will need a bigger front chainring, and more gears (it is currently a 1x8) and i will go to a faster tire. i could go to a carbon rim for more weight loss, but the velocity's are great.

how does it sit? the seat pan is a few inches lower. for anyone who is vertically challenged, or if you are a kid, this is the set up. i am telling you the 406 wheel on the t50 with no other mod is how kids can easily become cb riders.

how does it handle? i was hoping for mini velo twitchiness, and what i got was stingray tossability. since the overall height went down, the cg went down. mini velos have a high cg, also putting your foot down is super easy. acceleration is kind of funny, as it was a little slick so i could do burn outs. turns easy starts easy, stops easy. the only thing i did notice is that it does not have the forward rolling force that a big pair of rotating wheels will generate.

great fun. really a viable version of the bike with just a wheel change. other changes to come, but but again i stress, this is a great way to start a kid on a CB...... and we are just around the corner for christmas...

https://cruzbike.com/products/t50

https://cruzbike.com/collections/warehouse-clearance
Looks great!!!
What is the new seat height at the lowest point, without a seat cushion??
What is the minimum X seam that can safely put their feet on the ground when stopped?

3bs

whereabouts unknown
seat pan is under 19 and above 18 depending on where you measure. no idea what x seam that would be, but that is pretty darn little.

3bs

whereabouts unknown
yep. it is pretty amusing. reminds me a little of the M5 shockproof 451 but even lower. performer makes one that is pretty low too, i cant remember the name of that bike

I think if you really wanted to max out the whole mini velo vibe you could lengthen the frame tube and shorten the rear wheelstays to keep the same wheelbase, and then shorten the arms on the fork and add either head tube or fork tube, to keep the same head tube angle and riding position. of course that would make it irreversible, but having shorter rear wheelstays would make it easier to put in joint in. i have an extra t50 frame, so i am going to work on the concept.

i think the real lesson here is that this is a viable option, not just me goofing around. okay it is me goofing around, but it just shows what i am talking about. think about how many threads there have been about people with shorter legs? and about how do we get this concept into mainstream with kids? well, this demonstrates a pretty simple solution.

in many ways, it is ideal. get the kid riding the bike early, and then as the kid gets bigger just swap the wheelset. i will get my 8th grader to ride it this weekend. i will have to roll the boom back for her but whatever. again, no big deal.