Feed hydraulic brake line through 2024 Q45 frame

Black Hawk Down

Senior Rookie
I am installing SRAM Rival hydraulic brakes on my Q45 and I need to run the tube to the back wheel through the frame. The tube is small enough to go through the openings but I can't see how to get the tube out the exit. I tried in both directions. It looks impossible. Any ideas?

Black Hawk Down

Senior Rookie
I tried the method in the first video but the holes in the bike frame are too small. The cable ferrule won't fit. It's 6 mm diameter. I looked online for cable routing kits but all say the hole has to be 6 mm or larger.

I tried the thread method in the second video and it wouldn't fish to the bottom hole. The thread would just bunch up in the middle somewhere.

I made cables with a small magnets on the end (super glue) and fed one through one hole and the other cable through the other hole, hoping they would meet in the middle, connect and I could pull them out one of the holes. Didn't work.

I tried to feed one of the cables with a magnet on it while using a very strong rare earth magnet on the outside to guide it through. It didn't work.

I ordered a cable routing kit and I plan to drill out the holes as needed. First problem was my drill would not fit on the top hole due to the seat QR weldments. So, I ordered a DEWALT Right Angle Attachment, Flex Shaft and a set of impact drills. All orders come in tomorrow. Done for the day.

Rampa

Guru
Another option would be to to remove the ferrule, thread the tube through the frame, and replace the ferrule.

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
Before you drill - try to get it through via fishing it over a cable. Specifically a derailleur cable. HYD lines are a real hassle but it can be done. Some are also bigger than others a bit it seems in diameter. The openings are indeed just big enough for a clean-cut line... it is a challenge to get it though for sure.

Black Hawk Down

Senior Rookie
Before you drill - try to get it through via fishing it over a cable. Specifically a derailleur cable. HYD lines are a real hassle but it can be done. Some are also bigger than others a bit it seems in diameter. The openings are indeed just big enough for a clean-cut line... it is a challenge to get it though for sure.
I tried that. I can't get the derailleur cable through. I spent an hour fishing it around but I can't get it out the exit hole and I can't see the cable on the inside because the hole is too small and even with a flashlight, it's too dark to see inside. I tried using strong magnets to get the tip of the line to the exit hole, but it just didn't work. I'm at the limits of my mechanical skills here.

Black Hawk Down

Senior Rookie
You can also start with a string and a vacuum cleaner. Put the vacuum on the exit hole and feed the string in the origin hole. Then pull the cable through tied to the string.
I tried that too. The thread just bunched up in the middle somewhere and wouldn't go to the exit hole. It was probably hanging up on something inside.