First fondo on V20

Seth Cooper

Did my first fondo with the V20 yesterday. I chose the 80 mile route, and I rode to and from the start from my house which made it a century. 100.3 miles on the bike computer.

I had only done one shop ride with my local 5 guys to see how the V20 rode with DF bikes, so Kyle / Maria's post about DF paceline etiquette was well timed. I got behind a group of about 30 riders in two lines early on, and hung out in the back letting the rotation happen in front of me for about 50 of the 80 miles. They were going pretty good (for my fitness level), about 23 mph. Michigan does not really have any truly flat ground, you are always going a bit up or down or in some rollers. I did do a bit of rubber banding on some of the bigger rollers and it was fun picking it up to my spin-out speed of about 38-39mph and blasting past everyone to get caught on the next uphill.

Never tried to take a pull at the front. I did pull one guy who was back a ways back to the group, he claimed if he tucked in tight behind me he could get a decent draft, so that was my one contribution.

Eventually one hill was too high and I was too tired and I got dropped, which was fine as I was tired of looking at butts anyway, so I spent the last 20 miles solo.

From Kyle's recommendation I also sat up on the turns, which I did feel make it a little better for me to see the road ahead and claim my space.

I sat up on the climbs too to try and stay with the DFs better, and eventually this caused my arms to get really tired.

But at the end of the day I was happy with how I felt, no butt or knee pains, even with the stock seat and my "stock" 175mm cranks.

The one downside of the V20 was I didn't really socialize like I like to sometimes do in a friendly set of pacelines. I chatted a bit with some of the riders, but hanging out in back was a different experience.

Kenneth

Did my first fondo with the V20 yesterday. I chose the 80 mile route, and I rode to and from the start from my house which made it a century. 100.3 miles on the bike computer.

I had only done one shop ride with my local 5 guys to see how the V20 rode with DF bikes, so Kyle / Maria's post about DF paceline etiquette was well timed. I got behind a group of about 30 riders in two lines early on, and hung out in the back letting the rotation happen in front of me for about 50 of the 80 miles. They were going pretty good (for my fitness level), about 23 mph. Michigan does not really have any truly flat ground, you are always going a bit up or down or in some rollers. I did do a bit of rubber banding on some of the bigger rollers and it was fun picking it up to my spin-out speed of about 38-39mph and blasting past everyone to get caught on the next uphill.

Never tried to take a pull at the front. I did pull one guy who was back a ways back to the group, he claimed if he tucked in tight behind me he could get a decent draft, so that was my one contribution.

Eventually one hill was too high and I was too tired and I got dropped, which was fine as I was tired of looking at butts anyway, so I spent the last 20 miles solo.

From Kyle's recommendation I also sat up on the turns, which I did feel make it a little better for me to see the road ahead and claim my space.

I sat up on the climbs too to try and stay with the DFs better, and eventually this caused my arms to get really tired.

But at the end of the day I was happy with how I felt, no butt or knee pains, even with the stock seat and my "stock" 175mm cranks.

The one downside of the V20 was I didn't really socialize like I like to sometimes do in a friendly set of pacelines. I chatted a bit with some of the riders, but hanging out in back was a different experience.
It sounds like the texas hill country. I did a solo century ride Sunday and it was either up or down, but my pace was a bit shy of 23 miles an hour. One 53 mile an hour decent and lots of 5 mile an hour climbs