First Quest (Cruzbike, actually) in Uruguay!

jolivera

[URL='http://cruzbike.com/forum/data/sites/default/ckfinder//images/Javier Quest.jpg[/URL]
Javier%20Quest.jpg  height:592px; width:1139px
[/URL]

Well, finally!
I have an emerging backbone problem, and looking for exercises to lose weight without worsening the problem, I found recumbent bikes. After a bit of internet research, I ended up convinced by the concept of front wheel drive (a shorter chain seems much more energy-efficient), and when I saw the Quest 559 v 3.0, with all its top-notch components, I said "this is it!".
But that was just the beginning; I'm in Uruguay, and had to solve the bringing up here. Fortunately, I had planned a trip to USA, but anyway had to fulfill a lot of formalities to make sure I could bring it.
To make it short, after two months and multiple coordinations that included Maria Parker and his endless patience answering my thousand questions (thanks, Maria!), I'm enjoying my Quest in Montevideo's seafront, collecting smiles, looks of surprise and several shouts of support when I pass by! :)
Today I can say it definitely was worth the effort.
The learning process was quick and painless. In two or three days I was sure to move freely among the people walking along the seafront.
I went out with my 15 year old son (in his regular bike), and after 10-13 miles, he becomes tired, sore wrists, back and butt, and I just a little tired, without any hassle at all! I went back out alone the same day in the evening, because he was too tired and sore to go with me.
On windy days, when I see the common bikers fighting against the wind, I just gear a shift down to not try so hard, but advance without difficulty.
For those who are considering buying one and not decide, my advice is: GO FOR IT!!

Because of the unevenness that I must pass on the streets and sidewalks, I'm thinking of changing the rims and tires for mountain ones, 26x1.95. Is there any drawback to do so, weight apart? I accept ideas and suggestions.
Greetings from Uruguay!

Vargas

Another Quest in South America!

Mine is in Rio de Janeiro. 451 wheels. Might build a 559 set someday.
About the rim, don't think you need to change it, just the tire. I read the biggest one the Quest will accept is 1.5. But that might have changed, since there are even Quests v 3.0 with 700 wheels.
My suggestion is to go to a bike shop and try a 1.95 to see if it fits before actually purchasing the tire.
You can also lower the tire pressure. Concerning comfort, a tire with 60 psi is completely different from a 100 psi. Check which is the minimum pressure for your tire and try it.

Do you know why it is called Quest? Because of the lots of Questions you get from people whenever you stop :).

jolivera

Rio! Qu? saudade!!

Biking around Rio de Janeiro ... what an envy!
Montevideo is beautiful and I love my city and its boardwalk (can you feel it in my photo?), but Rio... is Rio!!!!
teeth_smile.gif
I was there last October, and hope to return as soon as possible!
About the wheels, you're right, in fact the description of the Quest in Cruzbike's website, in some places says 1.5 and in other 1.0. I really did not realize, and assumed they were 26x1.95. Mine came with 26x1.0 wheels, and I think it would go better with wider tires.
I appreciate your advice, I'll take the bike to a workshop to get an advise and see which wheels I can put on it; anyway, I saw here some photos that give me the clue I will not have problems.
Meanwhile, I'll enjoy the current wheels, taking care of the road holes.
Your absolutely right about the questions! Although in my case, as I don't stop much, I rather receive greetings, congratulations and shouts of approval.
thumbs_up.gif

Greetings from the South!

Vargas

Let me know when you are

Let me know when you are around in Rio and I'll let you try a 451 and ride along our beaches.

Maria Parker

Administrator
Glad to have you both representing Cruzbike in South America

Thanks for the post Jolivera and I'm happy to see you riding in Uruguay. Hope you and Vargas can ride together. If you do, please be sure to post a picture on the Cruzbike website.

jolivera

Maria, you can count on it!

Rio de Janeiro is about 2000 miles from Montevideo, so I don't think I get there with my Quest
teeth_smile.gif
, but you can be sure that if we meet, you'll have on the website the picture of the two South American Cruzbikers!
Greetings, and Maria, thank you again for your support!
I don't want to bore you with endless stories, but getting my Quest was real epic, and your help was crucial.
thumbs_up.gif