First "Real" Ride

Ted

I went on a 32 mile(51.5km) group ride with about a dozen DF bikers a few evenings ago - my first time riding with them. (Note: for those of you wondering, the "24 Hours In The Canyon" ride, in which I was going to ride in the 12 hour event a few weekends ago, was cancelled completely that Friday evening because of damage and flooding caused by a hailstorm and heavy rains that past over late that Friday afternoon.)

They were setting a fast - 18-20 mph(29-32km/hr) pace. One lady wasn't able to keep up so I hung back with her until her husband finally dropped back to check on her - they decided to turn back.

I figured I'd try and catch up with the rest of them, tho they were out of sight. After several turns, I came to a major highway, looked right and saw them 3/4 to a mile(1.2 - 1.6km) down the road. I almost decided to give up but then noticed one of them was lagging back a little - not able to stay with the rest of them. That gave me hope, so I gave chase to catchup with the lagging guy, figuring they wouldn't go off and leave him before they made another turn.

I got within a 100 yards (91m) of the guy - I was PUSHING it on some gently rolling hills!, before they all made another right turn. Then we got into more pronounced rolling hills and I was able to stay with them and even pull ahead of a few of them - or they were dropping back/slowing down.

This is proof for me that the Silvio is definitely faster and a better climber, at least for me, than my Corsa. There is no way I could have caught up with them and then stayed with them in the hills on the Corsa - and I just have regular pedals right now ... wasn't "clipped in"!

I'm still debating between the Shimano SPDs or the Look KEOs. I've got the SPDs on the Corsa but am leaning toward the Looks for the Silvio ... they seem to have a wider "base-of-contact" on which to push ...

Also, I'm still having issues with the way the cables are run. The local bike shop means well, and did the best he knew how, The problem is, he doesn't KNOW the finer points of the CruzBike, Silvio, specifically. He had the cables run before I was able to get back with the pictures that MickJordan had posted. By the end of this ride, there was a spot, just above my right knee, that was almost rubbed raw by contacting the brake cable on every pedal stroke.

Even with all the "challenges" I've had with this bike, I'm LUVing it :)! Don't expect to ever by another, except maybe a Vendetta on which to do RAAM (which, incidentally, started a couple days ago), either solo or as part of a team - gotta dream BIG
regular_smile.gif
! Like John Barrymore says, "A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams." I ain't never gettin' old
regular_smile.gif
!

Ted

fthills

Ted,    Great ride report.
It

Ted, Great ride report.

It seems to me from the gathering number of reports like yours ,that for those riders willing to make the effort to learn how to ride a Cruzbike well, the rewards are significant.

The cables if they're a bit loopy , should mean there is enough length in them to route them the way you want .

Pedals are one of those things that have to be tried to see which one works best.

For me,these are the criteria for my pedals on any recumbent particularly when leaning back a fair way,: for long distance riding.

Platform big enough to support a powerful pedal stroke when starting uphill,

As many entry points into the clip as possible

Has to fit MTB shoes

Has to have smooth bearings so the pedal can be easily oriented during the starting position

After trial and error of half a dozen systems. Crank bros

http://www.crankbrothers.com/pedals_candy.php

with shimano MTB shoes.

I tried simple eggbeaters but the lack of platform on long brevets sometimes meant a bit of pain in the sole of the foot . But four entry points is great.( for the simple eggbeaters.) Theres only two entry points in the Candy , but the platform isn't so big that it adds a big mass to the rotational weight. Its a compromise but the Candys have done a lot of trouble free miles. I took the pedals apart after taking them out of the box, the main aim being to remove the tenacious grease they apply to these things at the factory and replace it with chain lube . Makes for much smoother rotation.

I use mountain bike shoes because they have a solid rubber ,grippy ,sole . They hold well on the road surface in the wet, they hold well on a slope . I can walk on a solid surface without damaging the cleats. In other words unlike my super lightweight road shoes they don't feel as if I'm trying to stay upright on an ice rink with only socks on my feet.

hyp05fxdl

SPD Cleats

There is an SPD cleat that allows you to twist your foot out of the pedal in either direction ( I have them on my MB shoes). Not sure about the Crank Brothers. One pedal I have considered Crank Brother wise is the Mallet 2, it goves you a nice big platform if you are wearing regular shoes.

The 1st link is what I have on my Optima Lynxx (I'm being corrupted by Rick aka Ted - to get a Silvio), the 2nd link is the mallet pedals.

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_529054_-1___202530

http://www.crankbrothers.com/pedals_mallet2.php

Jake

Impressive

Impressive that you can catch a paceline of wedgies without cleats. Uphills no less. Jake