First real rides of the Spring!

cycleguy

Hi All

Got in 2 decent rides yesterday and today for the first time this year. Finally getting nice here in MA!

Todays ride was 12.9 miles and I average a hear rate of 145 bpm. My avg speed was 2 mph faster then on my regular road bike.

I use a Garmin Edge 305 GPS unit. It is great. Speed, distance, heart rate, averages for all... Then you can upload the data to Garmins website, Motionbased.com It gives a bunch of reports and allows you to export a file to Google Earth to overlay the maps.. this is one of the best things! You can catalog your rides on Google Earth and see exactly where you've been...

But for the ride:
1. I was able to really cook in the Silvio today! Very fast!
2. VERY steady. No more weaving. Comfortable in traffic. Steady at slower speeds cranking up hills.
3. The 34T rear cluster definitely works good around here with all the hills. Need it!
4. Not standing is no big problem so far. Just use lower gear and I can power up decent hills.
5. When I am done, I feel refreshed actually! No pain in the butt, no pain in the back, arms, shoulders, neck. It is really amazing.
The regular bike was at times excruciating on my back. Lower disk totally gone. But with the Silvio, my back actually feels better after the ride!

My new updated motto for this bike is "No Pain, MORE gain!" By being able to ride pain free, during and after I feel I can ride harder and longer, thereby getting a better workout. When my back would start to hurt on the old road bike, the pain would go down my leg and suck the power out of it. It really hampered the riding.

The Silvio is really growing on me!

Harold

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Congratulations for getting out for some real riding, Harold. Sounds like you're having fun!

Mark

cycleguy

Also, I am much more comfortable at high speeds now on the Silvio... For a while, coasting down hills felt a little hairy.. just the new position and afraid the front wheel would go all over.. yesterday I was able to coast over 30 mph no problem...

Today it will be almost 70, so I am out of here this afternoon!

harold